Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrodiMAN

Millia Punishment Help

Hey, 

So I come from a 3D fighting background (Virtua Fighter for life!), so the concept of punishment in a 2D fighting game is foreign to me. I don't quite understand how it works. 

Either way, I've learned to use Millia's S>HS as a quick 2/3 hit punishment for most things that are obviously punishable. Add in a RC and the best punishment I can come up with on some moves is S>HS>RC>dash>S>2HS>jc>jS>jHS. 

Are there any other ways to punish with Millia? 

Also, is there any advice on punishing specific moves like Sol's Bandit Ringer? 

Thanks

Hey, 

So I come from a 3D fighting background (Virtua Fighter for life!), so the concept of punishment in a 2D fighting game is foreign to me. I don't quite understand how it works. 

Either way, I've learned to use Millia's S>HS as a quick 2/3 hit punishment for most things that are obviously punishable. Add in a RC and the best punishment I can come up with on some moves is S>HS>RC>dash>S>2HS>jc>jS>jHS. 

Are there any other ways to punish with Millia? 

Also, is there any advice on punishing specific moves like Sol's Bandit Ringer? 

Thanks

With Millia, punishing all comes down to the range you are at and the resources you have available to you. For example, if you don't have 50 meter, you'll want to do whatever the most optimal route into 2D is, as a knockdown can win you the entire round. This means that if your opponent whiffs something, you wouldn't be wrong to run up 2K > 5S > 5H > 2D into oki. If you are at f.S range with 50 meter, you can f.S > 5H > RC into a full combo to put your opponent in the corner. j.214S can punish whiffed anti airs and other ground normals from the air with a stagger state, and although its a bit harder to do now, it allows you to run up and carry them to the corner.

If you are looking for damage with your punishes, you should know that Millia does not really get anything like that.  A solid knockdown and an oki setup is far more powerful with her.

Hope this helped a bit!

If you're close enough to hit with 5S into 5H(both hits) then you are always better off going for an air combo via 5S 2H j.S j.D IAD j.S j.H, or something similar.  If you can't do this combo yet, I recommend hitting Challenge mode and going to Challenge #27 until you're comfortable with this combo.  This is your basic bread and butter combo that also serves as a go-to punish, and sets up your mixup as well.  Once you're comfortable hitting this combo, learn how to delay the j.H and cancel the first hit into Silent Force (j.214S), then relaunch the enemy with 6H or 2H into another rep of the same combo.

If you're farther out and get the chance to punish something from afar, like a blocked Axl DP, I pretty much stick to 2D to get the knockdown, unless I have 50% meter to burn and the enemy doesn't have burst (or 75% if they do have burst), then you can do 5S 5H RC into the above combo.

Bandit Bringer is safe on block I believe. It's also not really antiairable since it hits really deep. Your best bet is probably to blitzshield it. You might be able to throw it if you instant block it but don't quote me on that, I'd have to test that.

Should we maintain a thread where we list character specific punishes (how do I deal with move x) or should we just post whatever we find in the matchup thread for that character?

Thank you for the replies. It's a bit heartbreaking to hear that Bandit Bringer isn't punishable :( Sol is quickly turning into the most annoying character in this game. 

Everyone keeps mentioning Millia's mixups. Aside from making them choose between D and 2D in a corner, what else can I do? 

TK Badmoon (badmoon done instantly, input as 2369P)/haircar (214P) is your best 50/50 in the corner. Both hit at roughly the same time and both start with an animation that resembles a jump so you can't block it reactively, also both are not throwable and generally lead into the most damaging combo with a disc setup.

You can also do 2S or 2D or 6K from a distance to switch it up a bit.

Midscreen with a disc you'll kinda have to stick to 2K for a low, rising j.K for antithrow (works best when you're right beside them so they're tempted to reversal throw you) or a crossup with 214K or 2369K from time to time. Overheads are generally too slow midscreen and they can just backdash or jump every time.

Bandit Bringer can be airthrown and can be anti aired due to 32f start up. When in range Sol is throwable on at least just defend.

Edit: I liked my own post by mistake, f****** smartphone

Thank you for the replies. It's a bit heartbreaking to hear that Bandit Bringer isn't punishable :( Sol is quickly turning into the most annoying character in this game. 

Everyone keeps mentioning Millia's mixups. Aside from making them choose between D and 2D in a corner, what else can I do? 

Your main overhead option is TK Badmoon. You do this by inputting 236P into a jump (Also known as a Tiger Knee), so the input looks like 2369P. It's completely unreactable and leads to your BnB off of a disc setup. Learning how to tiger knee consistently will take some time I can assure you, but it will greatly benefit you overall as far as execution goes across all fighting games. 

6K is also an overhead option, though its more reactable than TK Badmoon. You can use it to throw people off every now and then. It is also your only standing overhead that can be comboed without a disc setup by using 6K > 236S! Note that you can only combo meterlessly in the corner.

Your main low option is Iron Saviour, done with 214P. Obviously, you don't have to TK this one. What makes it good is that the startup animation is nearly identical to that of Badmoon, so your opponent has no way of telling which is coming. As with Badmoon, it leads into your BnB off of disc oki.

For more advanced mixups, you can go for empty jump mixups. This is done by placing your disc after a knockdown and jumping/IADing. You have 2 followups off of this: You can land and use 2K or 2S into a combo, or you can late airdash j.K > j.S for a double overhead!

These are the most basic mixups Millia has, but you can get creative with them once you learn more. Have fun!

Some months ago I that saw someone posted a video, in which Millia does YRC disk > instant j.K overhead > 2S on Faust. How do you do this? You just jump and j.K? Or the YRC makes you airborne? And, is it possible in other characters?

You can't possibly instant overhead Faust the way you described it.

I believe the setup you mean is 236H, backdash yrc, j.K. Backdash can be yrced so you're airborne at a really low altitude. Mix it up with land 2S.

The backdash has to be yrced very early or you'll be too far for j.K.

You can subsititute backdash yrc with haircar yrc. It's easier to do but also easier to see. You'll have to train them to block low before you can hit them with an overhead.

You can't possibly instant overhead Faust the way you described it.

I believe the setup you mean is 236H, backdash yrc, j.K. Backdash can be yrced so you're airborne at a really low altitude. Mix it up with land 2S.

The backdash has to be yrced very early or you'll be too far for j.K.

You can subsititute backdash yrc with haircar yrc. It's easier to do but also easier to see. You'll have to train them to block low before you can hit them with an overhead.

Looking at the video closer (I have it in my PC) it's true, she does backdash YRC, but damn It surely looks hard to do.

Looking at the video closer (I have it in my PC) it's true, she does backdash YRC, but damn It surely looks hard to do.

In my opinion, it's easier than tk bad moon since you can input it as 4, 4+A+B+C (and I'm not even mentioning the use of a macro button for A+B+C).

You need to be close enough to the opponent though.

Ok, so I've been playing alot over the past few weeks. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it (though I still lose more often than not). I atleast can start to recognize certain moves that are punishable. I'm still only using K, c.K, and S as punishers. That leads to a good bit of BnB damage. Better than nothing...right?

Either way, I have a question. What do I do about push back? There are certain strings that seem, for the moment, super safe for my opponents simply because me blocking that final hit of that string pushes me out of punish range. It essentially puts us back in neutral state only for me to have to endure another round of me being stuck in block stun for 2 minutes.

The easiest example I can think of is Elphelt. She has the one move where she falls forward with a bunch of flowers. If blocked, I get pushed back just out of S range. If I attempt to dash in quickly, she has time to defend or retaliate.

I wish I could be more precise with my example, but hopefully I got my point across. How do I punish push back?

Could you possibly be more specific. The game doesn't really explain the benefits of Instant Block that well. Only saying "it doesn't leave you as wide open as normal block and you gain tension".

Does Instant Block negate pushback? I went into training mode and tried it a few times but I didn't see any noticeable difference.

It reduces blockstun (by 3f if I'm not mistaken) and pushback. Faultless Defense is the opposite, more blockstun and pushback.

Try approaching from different angles. You have all that air mobility, use it. As long as you have the pin, it shouldn't be too tough to get in on Elphelt

Is there any way to see frame data in the game? If I'm in training mode is there anyway to see positive/negative frames?

Not afaik, you just have to maths it.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Millia_Frame_Data_(GGXRD)

Just posting the link for posting it's sake, best bet is to lab it out and share findings.