Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No vs. Axl Low

• Use this thread to discuss the Axl Low matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:

Defense:

Punishes:

Combo Notes:

My training partner, blandwolf is an axl main. So I play this MU the most

I think axl wins this match. He def has the upper hand until I-no can get in.

Neutral game is definitely in his favor with the chains. making it hard for her to approach

Note can be nullified by green sickle. Gotta aim it particularly well against axl

Axl has a lot of answers for HCL. Green sickle, 2H will low profile it and can hit I-no on recovery

Axl's damage is no joke, one bomber combo and you wonder where all your life went.

Hard to deal with sparrowhawk stance if axl can mixup the timing and canceling / re-entering into stance. Need to blitz shield on reaction / trade limbs / wait.

Axl has good buttons upclose for I-no's hoverdash pressure. 5k, 6P

But here's what we can do

DP can be safe jumped easily with hover dash > hoverdash > j.K. But watch out for that blitz shield

Notes can be used if they're closer to axl's head level so he won't green sickle. But he can low profile with 2K. gotta be tricky with the notes

Hoverdash > FD is useful for getting closer to axl.

hoverdash > IAD crossups help to mess up inputs for supers and DP

Pretty standard fight except for the sim limbs. Gotta be extra patient for the knockdown and can't let him get back up. Approaching with a lot of defense in mind is key. Staying out of range for chains and trying to poke back with HCL or putting out note during their recovery will help get the advantage as well.

Quick notes

• If axl gets you to the other end of the screen start using notes, if he does his flame sickles it will hit him out of it and you can continue to use notes 
  • Opening start move should always be stbt(h) or jump back and s. dive, this forces him to pick an option for either anti-air or low 
  • Never use notes at mid range, that's just asking him to clock you 

Hello, I'm new to I-no and this matchup frustrates me to no end. I even got to the point that I hesitate to attack! 

I was wondering if I could get some advice on general points where Axl would be on minus frames/punish etc. Cheers.

You can trade 2p with SparrowHawk stance low/mid(?) pretty well after the changes. This is maybe(?) the least risky option to stop it aside from just blocking. Does not give a punish or anything really.

IB  2p should also still work for the low/mid(?) version, but you need to be really fast with the 2p after IB.

6P in 2H > 6H is free when spaced close enough if you didn't IB 2H. Will lose to further spacing at least without IB.

I don't like opting for 2P trade with sparrow hawk stance since the damage difference is ridiculous and you don't get a knockdown on top of that. 2P will lose vs the mid strike more often also. 6P also beats both mid and low cleanly.

Punish for Axl DP now with the increased recovery frames:

On all distances that is not at the absolute tip, you can connect a hoverdash j.H.

Corner:

hoverdash j.H>6P>5H>IAD j.K>j.S>FFVCL>VCL>c.S>j.S>j.H>p.Dive>dash>j.H> ender. Either p.Dive>Land note oki or VCL>6H>HCL~D. This should deal about 240 in the corner.

Midscreen:

hoverdash j.H>6P>5H>IAD j.K>j.S>FFVCL>j.P>j.S>JC>j.S>j.H>HCL~D should be 199.

I think these are pretty optimal for hoverdash j.H starter on Axl?

On the absolute tip, you can still connect a hoverdash j.K at least from my testing. Regular hoverdash j.K>.j.S>6P combo should be the go to.

The vertical hitbox is bigger than it looks, so it's hard to use j.D FDC to cross up.  Just use simple safe-jumps and hard 'whiff-j.H > block' baits.  That said, it has long recover just like other DPs even though it doesn't leave the ground.  Don't be afraid to IK it when you have 50% and it's match point with Axl in Hellfire.

It requires prediction in order to do this fast enough, but you can crouch under 5P and then HCL punish it.  It's much easier for him to bait us and CH with 2H or Rensen, but we have this option if the Axl isn't being smart and thinks he can just 5P spam.  Timing really needs to be spot on though, so you are taking a risk and guessing.

If Axl ever uses 2P in this matchup instead of 2H you can STBT under it.