Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No vs. May

• Use this thread to discuss the May matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:

Defense:

Punishes:

Combo Notes:

That would be j.2H, but her j.H also has a good hitbox.

I don't have enough experience in Xrd to really comment on this matchup (I've played against May a handful of times online and once in tournament), but in AC the matchup was like a 7:3 and in +R it's like 65:35.  It's really hard to counter poke against May, and she used to stun us in 1.5 regular combos or 1 CH 6P.  Overall I feel like the matchup should be a lot better in Xrd, but her hitboxes are still tough to deal with.

To answer your question, you're probably not going to be able to 6P through her j.H or j.2H unless you're spaced perfectly and time it perfectly.  It's really risky to try.  A lot of her moves are slow to start, so you'll want to IB to create gaps and FD to push her out and make her whiff, depending on the situation.

Thanks man ima get in the lab and try to practice the timing but what are u guys doing against the may ️️players that just like to zone it's so frustrating to have ur note stopped by a dolphin or balloon :-(

Hcl will go through hoop Dolphins and hit may if she's still doing things/not crouching. Also, notes that have multiple hits can collide with multiple may projectiles, if timed and positioned correctly.

J.2Hs can be beat by a properly spaced 6p or jump IB -> throw punish (might be able to get more depending on when you IB the hit). Blitz shield is also not a terrible idea here.

I forgot to mention that standing punch is the button you want to hit her out of horizontal Dolphins, at least in my experience. Added benefit of Comboing into HCL for a knockdown since it is a counter hit

I play a local May so I have some experience in this matchup

- she's a lightweight character so if you have her in the corner you can get an extra VCL loop for more damage which really helps in this matchup.

- As noted, you can 6P the j 2H and if they go for IAD > j.S > j.H you can 6p this too.

- May can't combo from 6k unless they have a beach ball continue combo, dolphin, or they RC it. If the May does a 6k without these there's a good chance they will go into a command throw on hit because they're at + frames. I recommend backdashing, jump back, or VCL if you're feeling the hard read to punish.

- If you're feeling awesome, 6P the horizontal dolphin!

- HCL the beachball if they do it unsafely (non YRC)

All I can remember for now.

She can link jab off 6k but I'm not sure if that's on normal hit or just counter hit or meaty/late active frames

Against May, if she gets a Dolphin out then you have limited options to approach as long as it's on the screen.

From ~full screen, you are fully free to spawn a note. You can use the note to pop the Ball, harass May, pop the dolphin if she releases it. However, if May blocks the note and the dolphin is still there, you still will not be able to get in because she can release the dolphin while blocking at any time.

Do not let may summon Dolphins or beach balls for free. Every time you're in range of HCL and May goes for a nonYRC summon, you can freely punish her with HCL. Afterwards you can do dash~IAD FFVCL (yrc) to push your advantage, or maybe go for a Note yrc or TK note oki if you're close enough.

Mays airgame is fairly dominant. You need to space your j.H really well so that the tip hits. You do not want to get tagged by an air j.H or j.S. This is a surefire way of losing 200+ health from a good confirm, especially from a counterhit.

J.P seems to work quite well as well at the right times and SM/airthrow as usual.

Antiairing May can be a struggle. IAD is easy to stuff with 6P, but high airdash j.S hit's from so high to so low that it's quite hard to deal with 6P. 5P, Blitz, VCL are probably a bit better for this.

if May goes for a high j.2H shenanigan, you can usually VCL this or Blitz it. Going for 6P can be risky because 6P moves forward, sometimes causing you to crossup yourself. Jump IB throw also works as pointed out earlier.

Her Oki is pretty strong. She has a looping vortex from the lower damage confirms. Her overhead is relatively fast and will combo from Dolphin or ball. She has crossover shenanigans and YRC shenanigans to deal with.

Here's a video for most of her usual setups if you want to study them: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26440974

If May goes for Horizontal dolphins in block strings, you can blitz them for free on reaction. Going for 5P/6P is risky because the gap is generally not big enough. Vertical dolphins will cross you up at the right spacing, but are usually fully combo punishable. Horizontal dolphins in neutral can be stuffed but can be hard to react to since they are pretty fast. Blitz, 5P, 6P, jump back j.H/S, (5H),are all examples of moves that work for the most part if done right.