Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No vs. Leo Whitefang

• Use this thread to discuss the Leo Whitefang matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:

Defense:

Punishes:

Combo Notes:

Played 1 long set vs a good week 1 Leo, here's the initial observations I have for the MU

From what I can tell this is a very hard MU. 

Leo does great damage

Pressure is really strong and mixup potential is big

Counter makes it difficult to retaliate up close

Having a bunch of throw invul normals makes it hard to throw counter as well (from my exp, one of I-no's better options to get out of pressure)

cross ups not a factor due to flashkick (you can safe jump it / FD it)

H fireball is HUGE and usually kills enough note hits to run through it.

6P & j.H controls all the air space and makes it super hard for I-no to approach. 

losing air to airs / getting anti aired = mixup opportunity for Leo since he has his restand ender from air combos

236H (berserker slash) goes under HCL and CH's

Counter reflects notes lol

Stance super can punish note on reaction (YRC pls) > huge damage (5f super startup & Safe on block so far according to commentators?? not listed in wiki tho)

The best answers I can find so far (also from watching Mynus vs Zidane at TSB)

establish the safe jump so that they're less likely to flash kick. Gotta make them second guess their reversal so you can apply more mixups.

Note can be aimed under the fireball so they pass each other (Mortal Kombat? lol)

If Leo counters the note when you're too close you can punish him for doing it. The bounced note will mirror the angle it came in. Usually it'll be downward, so it will most likely angle downward even more. So not the biggest issue for I-no since she usually comes in through the air anyway. We just get less opportunities for catching an opponent in blockstun to approach.

There is a good amount of delay after the counter (2H CH!!), but may be safer to attempt throw, close the gap w/ hoverdash or just get away. Not smart to throw out a poke punish unless you know the timing and recognize that you will punish

Overall it seems like the main game plan is to set out a note and approach slowly, since even counter isn't the best option vs it, it negates the blockstun that Leo would otherwise be in. HCL not a great tool unless you're whiff punishing. And not a great idea to play the footsie game midrange since Leo's pokes are way beefier than yours.

Be aware of what stance he's in when going in, he's much more dangerous when he's in the counter stance. Know that he can't jump out of it, but he can hold charge for flashkick while walking (fuck). Gotta bait it with double jumps, hoverdash airdash back, or hoverdash FD.

Don't be an idiot and dive when he's in counter stance, unless you're gonna YRC =3

Gotta be a lot of crazy mixed in with some smart stuff to win this one.

Also, what i found to be really helpful to get out of backturn pressure is to simply vcl

This beats out overhead/low kick and parry, during the process if he does do his other move you're knocked down and trade so it's worth mentioning that