Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

[Xrd] I-No vs. Elphelt Valentine

• Use this thread to discuss the Elphelt Valentine matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.
Round Start:

Neutral:

Offense:

Defense:

Punishes:

Combo Notes:

I've played a few sets with a really good elph player. It seems very tough for I-no because of the space that Elph is good at covering.

5H kills I-no's hoverdash approaches

cl.S mash is an amazing answer for I-no's up close pressure

Berry bombs will kill the note, and still leaves elph with the timed explosion portion active

Pressure in shotgun stance in the corner is super hard to deal with. Shotgun S & H will hit you out of STBT

Elph shotgun roll is projectile invul, so she can get past notes really easily

General tips for the MU:

STBT is a good answer for 5H mashers who autopilot, (haven't tested if she can 5H > stop > punish the stbt or if she needs to block it)

HCL should work in theory for punishing 5H mash (last hit of 5H mash is -17 on block, 11f startup for HCL). Gotta test when is a good time to go for the HCL. I miss whenever I attempt it but I think I'm doing it way too late since the animation of the gunshot seems more active than it actually is (1f active). 

staying out of 5H range to play footsies/whiff punish with HCL is pretty important. Also in that range utilizing notes is much more feasible since 5H isn't a projectile and the opponent won't want to bust out a rifle in that range

2H is really good when elph wants to approach with her own 2H and also for cl.S mashers. for any character really, if they like to hit buttons to disrespect the hoverdash pressure, CH with 2H

Raw notes will trade with rifle shot, so if you YRC you can block the shot or force them to cancel out of the stance and block

Berry bombs are a problem but (I THINK) you can cancel out the initial hitbox w/ HCL/VCL. Using notes to nullify is a bad idea since it leaves you at such a big disadvantage and also the approaching arc is usually in I-no's weakspot. (Gotta find a better answer for berries)

VCL might be a good answer for when elph will use meaty bomb > shotgun command grab. Not sure if berry will nullify the VCL though, gotta test it

Still lots to look over but that's my take so far 

This is an evernote I've been cracking out on to set myself a standard for note taking

I'm focusing on bang for buck. Trying to be concise but very robust at the same time. 

Mainly to use to glance over and remind myself of the weird MU specific stuff

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s495/sh/9d194f20-8ba7-4c16-9d15-048bc85d87fd/34872f3aa548dc5752a6d0892b846294

Let me know if there's any info you can contribute. It's still a WIP =P

I've played a good amount of sets against Lost Soul, as well as offline sets with my local Elphelt players. These are my finds.

I-no, in general, should be playing a patient neutral game. Elphelt has so many buttons that can shut down I-no's attempt at mounting an offense, or even moving forward.

Make sure that you are Faultless Defense Braking against her, as even advancing forward with hoverdash can mean getting stuffed by 5HS gun shots, or most of her normal moves. 66 FD saves lives, especially with a character that can't move without being airborne. Movement in general with I-no is crucial.

5K can actually counter poke 5HS, if you're outside of the range of the shots. Footsies.

You can air grab, and ground grab Elphelt out of air bridal express, and ground bridal express.

Be careful with using HCL as 2HS moves Elphelt right underneath it. I tend to bait the Elphelt and whiff punish her.