Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monokeros

Leo Combos/Setup Discussion

Anyone got a list of optimized midscreen BT D combos?
What I have -

Lightweights+Faust - 236HS BT P sj jS jHS j236HS
I-no - sj jP jK jHS instead of jS jHS (a bit hard to do)
For Faust you can just dash BT P jc jS jc jK jHS j236HS

Sol, Axl, Slayer - 236HS BT P jc jPjK jc jHS j236HS

or 236HS BT PSHS for kd+oki (do this for Sin, Chipp and Zato)

Zato - you can dash BT P him, but nothing connects after it? I'm doing 236HS BT PSHS

Ky, Venom - 236HS BT SHS oki

Pot, Bedman - dash BT KPSHS (you can try an aircombo after BT P, but I can't really get j236HS to connect...)

Sup all. I've been maining Leo since picking up the game, and lurking this forum for tech in the meantime.

[CH] 2H XX whiff 236H, BT S XX [2]8H(2) RC whiff j.D, dash 6H, dash 5K c.S jc j.K H XX j.236H [232]

Maybe this extension is obvious, but I was working on CH 2H combos and for 100% tension (if you really need to squeeze the extra damage out) you can get:

CH 2H xx 236H, B.S xx [2]8H(2) RC j.D, dash 6H, dash 5K c.S jc j.K j.H xx j.236H RC D[6], 6H, 5K c.S 5H xx Rekkas, 2S [255 dmg]

By the time you're doing the Dust after RC'ing j.236H you should have taken them all the way into the corner from anywhere up to about 60% of the screen away from the corner. You also have the option to cancel 2S into whatever at the end if you want to use the opportunity to continue some form of pressure.

Regarding the rekkas > [4]6H > YRC > 236H stuff, you can be thrown out of 236H so it should be taken out of the first post. I think most people already know about this however.

Just stick to [4]6H > YRC > 66 into whatever or rekkas > 236H (whiff).

After reading through the topic regarding ehuangsan's Ky tricks (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4133-my-ky-trade-secrets-thread/) I started wondering if Leo could do anything like the techniques described in that thread.

Once I got to the eh-sama special, I figured something out.

You all know about the rekka123 into [4]6H-YRC-236H oki, right?

Well, I realized that it was possible to just jump and avoid that oki entirely. (Or chicken block it, at the very least)

This technique is meant to counter that.

rekka123-[4]6H-YRC-236H-YRC-airthrow.

I've yet to test it out in player matches, but it works in training mode.

You should totally start calling this the Ace Special, by the way.

Still unsure about how useful this really is, since it's 50 meter for just 44 damage, but hey, it's there.

After reading through the topic regarding ehuangsan's Ky tricks (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4133-my-ky-trade-secrets-thread/) I started wondering if Leo could do anything like the techniques described in that thread.

Once I got to the eh-sama special, I figured something out.

You all know about the rekka123 into [4]6H-YRC-236H oki, right?

Well, I realized that it was possible to just jump and avoid that oki entirely. (Or chicken block it, at the very least)

This technique is meant to counter that.

rekka123-[4]6H-YRC-236H-YRC-airthrow.

I've yet to test it out in player matches, but it works in training mode.

You should totally start calling this the Ace Special, by the way.

Still unsure about how useful this really is, since it's 50 meter for just 44 damage, but hey, it's there.

You can also DP and BS it and there's nothing Leo can do besides YRC'ing it or PRC'ing it. The opponent isn't forced to block

Post-rekka123, it's possible to do dash j.K for a safejump. As always, all safejumps in this game are still vulnerable to Blitz Shields, but you can call out that decision with an empty jump.

rekka123 > H Sonic Boom (YRC) is probably best used in the corner.

You can also DP and BS it and there's nothing Leo can do besides YRC'ing it or PRC'ing it. The opponent isn't forced to block

If you time the YRC properly, you'll have plenty of time to block the DP and watch the opponent get hit the projectile, after which you can follow up with an aerial combo.

Blitz Shielding won't help them either, they'll still get hit the rest of the projectile, and you can follow up with a ground combo.

If you time the YRC properly, you'll have plenty of time to block the DP and watch the opponent get hit the projectile, after which you can follow up with an aerial combo.

Blitz Shielding won't help them either, they'll still get hit the rest of the projectile, and you can follow up with a ground combo.

you sure about that? I tested this exact setup multiple times and as soon as you 236HS to cross them up you'll get DP'd for free. 

Also like kiba said opponent can just throw you out of the [4]6HS YRC 236HS whiff. The setup is by no means solid. If you get away with it sure abuse it.

So about this midscreen BT super to combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=paZa_nABAZQ#t=1365

How does Leo go in so deep with Rekka 2 after super? I'm trying the same setup with the same character and I don't reach as far, maybe microdash before/after the rekka? I'm looking at the inputs and trying the same but I'm still not very successful, oh well, getting that Rekka 2 after super is still some nice extra damage and good spacing for Leo.

Edit:

Microdash after the super and before Rekka 2, there we go.

cl.S > 6K > 2P > 5K > 2HS > Rekkas combos on Leo, even when he's standing. I think 2P > 5K > 2HS > Rekka is really important to convert off stray 6HS and 6K hits with Leo.

There's basically no way to convert off 2S into Rekkas on a standing opponent unless you chain to 2HS, right? 2P seems to whiff on most characters.

Just started maining this guy & read through a lot of this, wrote some stuff down & have used the simpler stuff.  Thanks.

Anyone use the overdrives in situations?  Or just save the meter for other stuff?

BT Overdrive for combos or full screen punishes.

H overdrive? Almost never. It's good as a reversal/wake up super to get out of sticky situations, go back to neutral with added BT pressure (Against Millia disc oki or say... if you block the first hit of a DI Tyrant Rave and you have the meter, instead of FD you can just super) or to finish certain combos that you wouldn't be able to finish otherwise, just in case you need that extra damage to kill (Pretty much anytime you end with a f.S and you're too far to 2D or they're not crouching so you can't get rekkas)

Anyways you get the most mileage out of RC combos and YRC setups.

BT Overdrive for combos or full screen punishes.

H overdrive? Almost never. It's good as a reversal/wake up super to get out of sticky situations, go back to neutral with added BT pressure (Against Millia disc oki or say... if you block the first hit of a DI Tyrant Rave and you have the meter, instead of FD you can just super) or to finish certain combos that you wouldn't be able to finish otherwise, just in case you need that extra damage to kill (Pretty much anytime you end with a f.S and you're too far to 2D or they're not crouching so you can't get rekkas)

Anyways you get the most mileage out of RC combos and YRC setups.

Got it, thanks.  I forgot if there was a BT overdrive combo in challenges or if one's somewhere in this topic.  I've managed half the challenges & have read all the pages of this topic. 

I posted a midscreen one in the last page (Zidane's video)

In the corner you want to do [6H] after BT super and then S, 214S into oki, if proration is good sometimes you can add a 5S, j.S(1), j.236HS to restand. If you really need the damage and proration isn't good you can add a 2P followed by S or HS flashkick but it's risky, if they pop out you'll be at a huge disadvantage.

I posted a midscreen one in the last page (Zidane's video)

In the corner you want to do [6H] after BT super and then S, 214S into oki, if proration is good sometimes you can add a 5S, j.S(1), j.236HS to restand. If you really need the damage and proration isn't good you can add a 2P followed by S or HS flashkick but it's risky, if they pop out you'll be at a huge disadvantage.

OK, great. I finally watched that video (wish I'd done that long ago).  Now I feel like I know the character a lot better.

I uploaded some Leo combos to YouTube yesterday. If anyone knows of any ways to optimize them more, let me know. I think doing j.S instead of j.K first in the double jump combo might do literally 1 more damage, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Leo air throw RRC combo: http://youtu.be/SucBHBW8-aA

Air Throw RRC > 6HS > 236HS > 5K cl.S (jc) > j.K (jc) > j.K j.HS > j.236HS (142 damage)

Leo Counterhit Punish Midscreen: http://youtu.be/t41sScb4BoY

2HS > 6HS > 236HS > 5K cl.S (jc) > j.K (jc) > j.K j.HS > j.236HS (219 damage)

Leo Stance Unblockable RRC combo: http://youtu.be/e2_YAp74c8s

bt.214HS > RRC > dash 5D > Homing Jump > j.HS j.HS j.K j.S(2) (jc) > j.K j.HS > j.236HS (117 damage)

Leo 236HS RRC combo: http://youtu.be/QUoUE9gvDF8

236HS> RRC > 5D > Homing Jump > j.HS j.HS j.K j.S(2) (jc) > j.K j.HS > j.236HS (169 damage)

Thanks for these.

I think people tend to use j.S because of its faster startup not because of the extra damage in long combos/combos with bad starters j.K tends to drop so I'd advice everyone that outside of these optimized combos to just stick to j.S (It's great because it also connects after f.S on certain combos in case you're not close enough or drop a microdash to get cl.S)

As a note, damage seems consistently higher on j.236H enders, but the re-stand itself still forces a bit of a guessing game for Leo. If/when we eventually recompile everything we should probably look into variants for both restand and knockdown (either ending with rekkas or ending with H flashkick; or ending with bt.214S/bt.H).

As a note, damage seems consistently higher on j.236H enders, but the re-stand itself still forces a bit of a guessing game for Leo. If/when we eventually recompile everything we should probably look into variants for both restand and knockdown (either ending with rekkas or ending with H flashkick; or ending with bt.214S/bt.H).

Not doing combos into restand makes no sense to me because back turned stance near the opponent is the only real time Leo is at a significant advantage. It's not even about the damage, you want that back turned stance.

I kind of want to say that if you don't want to do backturned mixups, you probably don't really want to play Leo.

You're backturned at +2 (and I guess +3 in 1.1, if that change sticks). At that low of an advantage, everything except bt.K and raw bt.632146S can get called out by neutral YRC, and bt.K can be avoided with backdash YRC. In the meantime, with knockdown, it's easy enough to get both backturn and force a meaty with oki whiffed 236H or in the corner just whiffed 5H hold; in addition to options such as safejump dash j.K (from rekka series knockdown), [4]6H YRC, and meaty 6K.

I don't think you always have to go for a stance mixup too, for exemple in the corner I like H fireball YRC oki more than j236H restand, you're safe from reversals and a simple empty jump 2K or iad jK is hard enough to block.

Stance mixup isn't quite as scary as a lot of people seems to think, the only situation where it feels really strong is after a throw as the long knockdown gives you the time to meaty bt.H and dash through bt.K safely.

This set up only really works on cornered opponent then you get a good high low mix up. Sometimes even without the yrc.

Does anyone know of some good okizeme options for Leo. I am decent at getting in doing my damage and mixing up the opponent but I always am stuck on what I can do to make them respect me on their wake up. The only option I can think of is to throw 46HS or 46S projectile to force them to get up blocking but I think that can be very obvious to bait and for them to react to. So are there any other viable options for oki or will I just need to go back to mixing them up as soon as they are standing again.