Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tehviral

Millia vs Ky?

Maybe I'm playing the match up wrong all together but I can't seem to get in on Ky without eating DPs and Ride the Lightnings. Silent force helps but without the knife it's usually "Get dp'd and get oki'd by his heavy shot" Anyone got any advice? I was looking for a match up thread but the Xrd forums seem dead. 

This forum is far from dead. If there's no matchup thread yet feel free to open one.

Ky has better pokes so you'll have to pick your openings instead of trying to force one. Ky's oki isn't that strong, Greed Sever is a pretty visible overhead so try to look out for 5D overhead and low block with FD his blockstring to push him out of throw range.

If he's doing srk/rtl on your oki bait it. That's pretty basic stuff right there. If he doesn't have a reason to respect you then he won't. If he whiffs it he can't rc it so that's a free punish. Vapor Thrust has very short range too so you can sometimes even outhitbox it with certain lows. 2K should work well for that.

If he's using srk during neutral and you get hit by it for some reason rethink your approach cause that shouldn't really happen.

j.HS has a pretty good chance of clashing with Vapor Thrust, I think. Haven't tested this though. You can also roll under his projectiles and use Digitalis, or try using Iron Savior for a knockdown.

I wouldn't recommend using using Iron Saviour or raw Digitalis when you're in Ky's f.S range, like, ever. His f.S is one of his strongest tools, and sitting in its range is just going to get you killed. Instead, hover just outside of it and punish his attempts to make you block, specifically his Stun Edge. You have to make a read on him, but if he uses ground Stun Edge, IAD and pin him for it. If he uses aerial Stun Edge, you will be at the perfect distance to run up and anti air him. When you are at the optimal range, you can try stuffing his approach with f.S and 2D.

Also, never use raw j.HS in neutral.

Jumping all over is risky since his 6P is so godlike, and his poking toolset gives him many opportunities to air throw you, especially with YRC. Stay grounded, respect his space, and make him respect yours.

If Ky locks you down, you better know how to block, because he has all the tools to make sure you never get out. Save some meter for a counter assault of you are worried. Millia's CA is super good because it leads to a disc setup. Shits cheap, yo.

You want to focus on making him whiff something so you can run your vortex, but be wary of RTL and the occasional Vapour Thrust if you start your oki.

As Rele said, if the Ky you are playing is throwing out VT in neutral, you aren't playing a very good Ky. Think about how you can make him eat shit next time he does something so yolo. Establish that you are aware of his options, and you won't have to deal with dumb BS like that. Sometimes it's as easy as running and FD stopping. I almost made it to top 32 at UFGT in Chicago on this principle alone back when I played +R.

It's is a very honest and footsie heavy neutral game, so I hope you have your spacing down. The matchup feels more or less even. Good luck!

There aren't matchup threads open for every character since they would just be empty/placeholders and not provide any value; this doesn't mean the forum is dead. Actually I think this is one of the more active places on dustloop at the moment!

Some tips against Ky:

- Don't go into the air and expect to land on Ky without being anti aired, until you condition him to fear getting CH by the pin. Use a late j.pin or IAD pin to achieve this early on, this will earn you free (pinless) jumps later in the match/set.

- Poke with 2D, a lot. Sure you might lose and get hit by his far S or 2D, but he won't get anything significant off of his hits, while you will get a disc setup mid screen into a low/crossup/unsafe high mixup.

- If you don't get any clean hits early on, save up for RC and turn any random 2-hit chain into an RC corner carry combo.

- If he's using DP a lot when you have him in corner oki, you can just safe meaty it with 2K (you'll recover before his DP hits) and punish. Alternatively if your tension is between 25-49%, you can input a YRC just as your mixup attempt (TKBM, haircar, etc) hits, and the YRC will activate if he DPs and causes the mixup to whiff, then you can block and punish. Another answer is to simply backdash after doing 236H, then do a 6K/2D after he gets up and the window for reversals has passed - your attack should hit in between hits of the disc, allowing you to still combo.

based on what i talked about with ruu on this matchup he thinks it's about even or slightly in ky's favor in xrd since he subs ky and woshige taught him the matchup

about some of the things brought up here so far

xrd ky's oki is very strong, incredibly strong 2 way mixup off dc cse, however millia has a slight advantage in that it's difficult for ky to set it up to work properly on millia without a yrc, leads into the exact same setup on hit

xrd greed sever is invisible, confirmed by pretty much everyone in japan

his 6p is actually quite a bit weaker than his ac 6p, hitbox is nowhere near as strong, strong anti airs against millia are 2hs and j.p mainly, svt and greed sever(anti jump) in some situations

very dangerous for millia to be in the air when he has 25 meter

late pin is probably the easiest and safest way for millia to get damage and knockdown early on 

along with midscreen disc off sweep, secret garden might be more worthwhile in certain situations

from about mid range if he didn't yrc his s se, s disc yrc to kill the se and run in for a full combo

Thanks for the advice. I'm working on improving my safe game and my spacing. Punishing a baited dp has been working very well all in all.

I'm not sure, but it seems air combo loops are easier to do on Ky. Stuffs like j.S > j.D > IAD (96) > j.P > j.P > j.H > 5K > S (cl.) > j.K > j.S > j.D > IAD > j.S > j.H

yeah Ky is one of those chars that keeps Millia out of her confort zone all the time.

I condition Ky to expect a raw dust on wakeup, If they DP it  clashes but you have recovered by the  time he is landing so  IAD and go to town.

It also can get danger time on, and my friend, if he has no meter to YRC....you have ten seconds to destroy him.

If you read his Greed sever after a block string roll to HS>RC and your BnB for the oki, tight in time but you are turning the tables and he will think twice on using it if you have meter.

Blitz shield him as much as u can in order to condition him to stop pressure and focus on zoning, one thing less for you to take care about, and bait him so you can jump pin for a CH and IAD to land a combo. The good thing about it is that if you space your self properly you will land over the pin and at range for 2d into roll or a 5HS for a RC or whatever crosses your mind.....

If he in zoner mode, at the proper distance u can SJ and dive, he wont be able to anti air you and u are at poke range again, if he DP, you are up for a free combo.

Millia is faster, take advantage of that

and as always keep him guessing....he will guess wrong eventually

Does the hair flower that comes out of the ground on 5D include an extension of MIllia's hitbox, or is it separate from her like a projectile attack? I like that idea of using it to clash on oki...

Does the hair flower that comes out of the ground on 5D include an extension of MIllia's hitbox, or is it separate from her like a projectile attack? I like that idea of using it to clash on oki...

You should never intentionally try to clash on oki. That isn't how Millia or any other character is supposed to work. Just set your disc and either bait a reversal (rising j.K is really good against throw attempts) or do a mixup. You will gain absolutely nothing with what you're trying to accomplish. Work on tightening up your oki, and you'll understand why in time.

Yeah, I know disc oki is the best. Maybe Himura was referring to dusting after setting disc, idk.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I just tested for a while and the striking part of 5D does not have a hitbox. Charged Stun Edge goes right through it, and Chipp's 2K didn't connect with it either.

Yeah, I know disc oki is the best. Maybe Himura was referring to dusting after setting disc, idk.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I just tested for a while and the striking part of 5D does not have a hitbox. Charged Stun Edge goes right through it, and Chipp's 2K didn't connect with it either.

Oh, using dust after a disc is absolutely a viable option, just don't go throwing it out willy nilly!

Oh, using dust after a disc is absolutely a viable option, just don't go throwing it out willy nilly!

yeah i actually was reffering to dust after disc oki :P

that was my bad :P

How do you deal with pressure from Ky? Do you normally just jump out, or is there a spot where we can press a button? Also, are there any just defend punishes that we can land? which moves

IB greed sever? Punish. IB stun dipper? Punish. IB stun edge when ky is too close? Punish. Everything else, FD it and make him work harder to get his optimal spacing.

Hi people - I'm new to GG and the forum too. One of the match-ups I have to deal with is KY.  His overhead (colouful sword rainbow - sorry I'm not too familiar with the names) is blockable for sure - but what can Millia punish with from further out, after blocking and there's too much pushback?

Sometimes all I get it 5S and that's it. Can I sweep instead? Should I be using her disc overdrive on reversal after blocking?

5S >RC?

IB then dash 5S 2H

if he's very far, IB 5S 5H RC dashup into bnb

Instant block/just defend. That may be difficult to do consistently, since it's a very fast overhead.

Typically, I'd be crouch blocking cos of his slide etc and then I'd react to his overhead by just holding back. Would it still count as instant block if I'm going from crouch block to stand block without going into neutral though? 

Instant block/just defend. That may be difficult to do consistently, since it's a very fast overhead.

Typically, I'd be crouch blocking cos of his slide etc and then I'd react to his overhead by just holding back. Would it still count as instant block if I'm going from crouch block to stand block without going into neutral though? 

You need to return your joystick to neutral.

Try the Vs. Ky in Mission Mode (Can't remember if it's Part 1 or Part 2), you'll never leave a greed sever unpunished again