Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyle

XRD May vs Leo

In backstance, K is unthrowable & low. In backstance, I like to look for the HS and Blitz it. Leo cannot throw from backstance!

You can command grab Leo (obviously to get him out of his stance) if given the priority, and do May stuff, my knowledge for this match-up isn't strong with the lack of Leos I run into.

im curious (i dnt play may but...) , i need to know what is your thoughts on the May vs. Leo matchup , is it in her favor ? have a friend who believes May doesnt win this matchup. :/

I'm struggling with this at the moment, from what I've been told you aren't meant to let him in close and your'e meant to try to get him to whiff his long range normals in neutral and punish.

That seems easier said than done though, his small projectile kills dolphins and his big one seems to be like a full screen gunflame with a taller hitbox which he doesn't need to YRC to run behind, really not sure how to deal with that atm.

S projectile destroys dolphins and ball without dying itself. H projectile is god but it has a million frames of startup and recovery. If he does it anywhere that is not fullscreen and does not YRC, you can probably get a punish of somekind.

Jumping / dashing over S projectile can lead to punish if he doesn't YRC at the right spacing.

His antiairs are pretty good.

S projectile completely stuffs dolphin ride poke attempts. Wins cleanly even pretty late.

If he's down charging, flashkick is pretty decent and ignores crossups, autocorrecting if done right. He can charge down while in stance without losing ground. Getting hit by H flashkick in to RC anywhere near corner can lead to a world of pain.

Ground dolphin makes it harder for Leo to approach. Ball is annoying and you have to either avoid it, block it or pop it with a projectile.

Read http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9961-elphelt-vs-leo/?p=884388 for a rundown on what his basic frametraps and mixups are in Neutral.

Whenever I play Leo I just try to keep him out forever. Leo's movement isn't great so you can kinda lock him down with balls and dolphin pressure. When Leo uses his HS projectile I normally react by jumping over it with a dolphin hoop set, and I wait for the projectile to pass over the hoop before releasing it. In a way, this prevents him from running up behind his projectile. If Leo tries to airdash in after using his projectile then you can meet him air-to-air with j.HS, but this wont always work. For this I find that using a HS hoop set works best because of its anti-air abilities. I basically just play this matchup as lame as possible.

the  2  big problems are Approaching and i don't know how to punish especially when leo atack

Anyone  can help me  ? 

Don't worry about rushing down Leo..he'll be after you from the start. He's not scary until he's on top of you and has good range normals to catch you coming in from most angles. Put stuff on the field and catch him coming to you.

I watched the video you posted and, though there wasn't any Leo in it, I noticed a few things. You're not using May's normals and chains very much. You're dashing in on dolphins a ton. Sometimes back to back. If either of those players had found their anti air or blitz buttons, you'd have been paying for it. You also wasted many bursts either by jumping up and bursting nothing, or bursting after blocking. If you're under pressure, give your defense a chance and block the strings before you just up and burst out. You may find yourself in real need of it later (this is very relative to Leo in particular). You're also skipping oki a lot I saw you RRC a dolphin hit and not follow up. These are two aspects that May can REALLY lay on the hurt and capitalize. I'd definitely spend some time with different oki options in training mode and make sure you make every knockdown count. If it's against someone with a DP (or a flashkick in Leo's case), practice some bait punishes.

As for Leo in particular, keep him out as much as possible and when he DOES get in, practice blocking his strings. When he knocks you down and is in stance, he'll most likely open with his low kick. It's throw invuln, so don't try to wake up throw him. Block his lows and know that he can only go into his OH from there, so react to that and return low until he does his stance S (I think it's that..he hits with both of his swords behind him in an X pattern.) FD these and backdash out to reset to neutral. If he tries to put in some counters, throw/OHK him for it. Don't try to run up punish unless you've played the guy before, they usually like to catch your punish with a second counter. This goes double on netplay, because it works. Just keep some beach balls and dolphin out and don't be right next to him unless you have projectiles covering your approach. If you land a knockdown, know you can't cross him up because flashkicks don't give a shit what side you're on. Bait his flashkick hard and make him afraid to do it again.

Most of these things are things you can practice in training mode. Don't neglect it..as it's the most important tool you have.

These are my two cents. I'm nowhere near the best (or good) at the character, but we're all still trying to learn, so I hope some more able Mays can come in and throw some insight in as well. GL and HF in gettign better.

Don't worry about rushing down Leo..he'll be after you from the start. He's not scary until he's on top of you and has good range normals to catch you coming in from most angles. Put stuff on the field and catch him coming to you.

I watched the video you posted and, though there wasn't any Leo in it, I noticed a few things. You're not using May's normals and chains very much. You're dashing in on dolphins a ton. Sometimes back to back. If either of those players had found their anti air or blitz buttons, you'd have been paying for it. You also wasted many bursts either by jumping up and bursting nothing, or bursting after blocking. If you're under pressure, give your defense a chance and block the strings before you just up and burst out. You may find yourself in real need of it later (this is very relative to Leo in particular). You're also skipping oki a lot I saw you RRC a dolphin hit and not follow up. These are two aspects that May can REALLY lay on the hurt and capitalize. I'd definitely spend some time with different oki options in training mode and make sure you make every knockdown count. If it's against someone with a DP (or a flashkick in Leo's case), practice some bait punishes.

As for Leo in particular, keep him out as much as possible and when he DOES get in, practice blocking his strings. When he knocks you down and is in stance, he'll most likely open with his low kick. It's throw invuln, so don't try to wake up throw him. Block his lows and know that he can only go into his OH from there, so react to that and return low until he does his stance S (I think it's that..he hits with both of his swords behind him in an X pattern.) FD these and backdash out to reset to neutral. If he tries to put in some counters, throw/OHK him for it. Don't try to run up punish unless you've played the guy before, they usually like to catch your punish with a second counter. This goes double on netplay, because it works. Just keep some beach balls and dolphin out and don't be right next to him unless you have projectiles covering your approach. If you land a knockdown, know you can't cross him up because flashkicks don't give a shit what side you're on. Bait his flashkick hard and make him afraid to do it again.

Most of these things are things you can practice in training mode. Don't neglect it..as it's the most important tool you have.

These are my two cents. I'm nowhere near the best (or good) at the character, but we're all still trying to learn, so I hope some more able Mays can come in and throw some insight in as well. GL and HF in gettign better.

THX I will working in that and upload some matches

In addition to BloodWolF's great advice, it's worth noting that Leo can reflect balls, but not dolphins.  So keep in mind that he can turn your balls against you.

In addition to BloodWolF's great advice, it's worth noting that Leo can reflect balls, but not dolphins.  So keep in mind that he can turn your balls against you.

If he reflects a beach ball at you May can still jump off of it. I've used this to hilarious effect once before. It was honestly an accident. And I'd have to do more testing with it, but I swear it worked o.O