Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

president

Millia vs Chipp

I need some hints on how to play against the President.

* j.H is unbeatable

* 5k/cl.5S are unbeatable

*Teleport YRC hard punishing any bold moves during this already difficult neutralgame

*His reversals during disk okizeme force too much respect, making the ONE CHANCE approach for this matchup quite difficult

I feel Chipp can out-scumbag Millia in this matchup which is... really weird and I honestly don't really know how to approach it.

Don't even try to antiair Chipp. Instead go for a2a j.K~j.HS OS to grab him or maybe jump back j.D. Blitz shield obvious approaches. Use S Tandem YRC if you think he's gonna teleport.

At least he dies in, like, 3 hits.

This is still probably Millia's worst matchup. His normals are better, his damage is better, his mobility is better, his mixup might as well be just as good as ours in some situations, you can't anti air him..... It's really the matchup from hell, just like in +R. Even I don't really have any good advice for this one, it feels awful.

Maybe I'm just the weird one, but I always though Millia > Chipp  especially in reload where Chipp I felt was one of the worst chars and Millia one of the best.

Your 6P will stuff Chipp's HS if you time it right.   If you go for air to air, you should be able to beat Chipp, especially if your going up towards him. 

You have double Air dash also which should make you quite safe from teleport YRC. 

Your Oki is WAYYYY better dont even compare.

His Reversal is scary?  Doesn't even lead to a knockdown and you bait it, he takes in so much damage.  >_>   Dont know why you would respect it that much.

I have to agree with burningvigor. This matchup can go either way in neutral. Millia is just as fast as Chipp, so neither has an adv there. Chipp has a better pressure game but Millia has way stronger oki.

If millia gets a knockdown, she can win the match easily with her oki (considering 2 combos is all it takes) and her oki is extremely hard to read. If he tries Dp's, then bait and punish. Chips oki game consists of crossups, which blitz shield counters and its easier to see coming.

The reason I feel millia wins this matchup is her free knockdown on her counter assault because that alone can win you the match.

Your 6P will stuff Chipp's HS if you time it right.   If you go for air to air, you should be able to beat Chipp, especially if your going up towards him. 

It's actually not so much about timing, but spacing. If Chipp falls "on top" of Millia, it's straight up unbeatable by 6P, 2H and 5P. The best case scenario for 6P is the first hit clashes then Chipp lands to block the second.

6P stuffs j.H at max range, I know that much, but that's a range any at least decent Chipp players wouldn't be giving to me.

Going air2air against Chipp is great advice, that should definitely give Chipp a reason to calm down a bit. When I think about it I play Millia way too ground based still, it's probably the Anji player in me causing this.

His Reversal is scary?  Doesn't even lead to a knockdown and you bait it, he takes in so much damage.  >_>   Dont know why you would respect it that much.

I'm mostly refering to the Beta Blade hitbox here, I couldn't find any way to make it reliably whiff other than just backdashing it early. I was a bit shocked to get hit by Chipp out of crossups where even the allmighty VV would whiff. It boiled down to me using YRC on absolutely every disk to be allowed to actually force mixup on him. I've lost a lot of rounds for blocking Beta Blade, having him RC it and turning that into momentum, so I'd start trying to hard read them with backdashes and more often than not he would abuse that to get out of jail for free. I really think that's not how Millia is supposed to perform in any matchup so I should work a better SG corner oki into my game and see how it goes.

Ok, here's my take on this matchup in Xrd.

Millia vs Chipp is in Chipp's favour because he controls the pace of the match and is extremely tough to land a clean hit on.  He has multiple normals that Millia simply has no answer to outside of "don't be there", so you have to stay mobile:
  • Chipp's 5K is faster than Millia's far S, and has much better reward on hit, via 2D (to gamma blade or FD stop crossup j.H).  
  • Then there's j.H which for all practical purposes cannot be anti aired on reaction and grants him momentum at very little risk - you can deal with this by doing an early j.P, attempt to avoid it by backdashing, or by running under and pressing 5P or 5K to antiair him from the back.  Absolutely do not try to 6P this move, there's good reason why Millia's 6P isn't ever seen in this matchup - Chipp has the mobility to make it whiff, and his priority will beat it out way more often than not anyway. 
  • He also has 2S and j.D which are both  super high priority, however these have significant recovery on whiff so as long as you stay mobile you'll be able to punish these.

Millia's only real ground pokes in this match are 5S and 2D, and these require room to use otherwise Chipp will beat it out with any of his 5K/2D/2S.  If you're using 5S, you'll want running momentum behind it so you can slide into its maximum range where it can still combo to 5H 2D.  For 2D you'll want to do it at maximum range as well.  Generally it's not a great idea to challenge Chipp from the ground, but these options are workable.

Since Chipp controls the air to ground and ground to ground game so well, Millia's best risk/reward is to stay in the air and attempt to fish for a j.P into knockdown, a low airdash j.K to j.S, or a well placed pin to approach.  Due to the nature of the air to air approach, you're unlikely to get a full corner carry without burning meter on an RC, since you'll probably use up your pin trying to get in.

Once you eventually get a knockdown, it's true that Chipp melts like butter.  But still, you have to deal with the potential DP, which means you need to use Secret Garden setups (pin required) for oki, or by giving up oki entirely to bait it if you don't have pin.  So even if he's not using his DP actively, the threat of it is enough to water down your mixup at times.  On the plus side, since Chipp takes longer to wake up from the ground on his face up (your j.H) knockdown, you can get better mid screen setups on him.

If Danger Time ever occurs.. For the love of god, stop hitting buttons. Chipp in Danger Time is probably the scariest character in the game, hell I'd rather face a Dragon Install Sol than Chipp in DT. His normals are too fast and have too much priority to challenge, he's super mobile, and he still has his DP on top of everything else. The only time I'd consider pressing a button is during the freeze if Danger Time triggers in the air, since Millia's 4 frame j.K will beat whatever Chipp throws out (DP aside).

So in a nutshell...

- Chipp controls the pace of the match since he dominates the neutral game
- Chipp's ground pokes carry much better priority than Millia's, but Millia can stay out of range and poke to challenge him
- It's tough to hit Chipp clean and once you do, you need to be wary of burst and DP, meaning your mixup often suffers if you're not able to use Secret Garden
- j.P, Pin, far S, and backdash -> 2D are your best attack options most of the time
- Never try to challenge Chipp's air normals flat out; instead, use your movement to avoid them and attempt to pressure after they whiff

So overall it's a tough matchup, but I'm not versed enough against strong Chipp's to be able to put a number to it just yet.

I read through the topic but, does anyone have answers for 63214S from Chipp? The move where he turns into leaves. The frame data says its a slow start up but if I don't jump it catches all the time since I'm too slow to react with 5P. Is this just a practice thing? This move is pissing me off lol. 

Do you mean his command grab? Lol I feel your pain. It's probably a practice thing. I have no idea on the timing honestly. I usually just try to not give him a chance to do it. You may be able to crouch under it possibly? I have very little experience fighting Chipp.

Do you mean his command grab? Lol I feel your pain. It's probably a practice thing. I have no idea on the timing honestly. I usually just try to not give him a chance to do it. You may be able to crouch under it possibly? I have very little experience fighting Chipp.

I'm not sure if you can poke out of it like in AC, but my bet is that it's the same as in +R, meaning you just have to jump. Maybe airdash back into pin would work as a punish?

Yeah its a grab. You CANNOT crouch it. Hardly have a chance to backdash it even on reaction cause it just goes really far. You can 5P it if you're fast enough. I suppose Pin could work.. It could be that I'm just reading Chipp pressure wrong. idk..

So I played this matchup with Kensou at Final Round quite a bit and recently with Shinsyn (wish I had played it BEFORE the tournament =/ ) and I believe its 6-4 in Chipp's favor. Which is an improvement from AC/AC+r which felt like 6.5-3.5 (maybe even 7-3). I think the two biggest new factors that help Millia out are S disc YRC and Blitzshield. Using meter on these two options works well and nets you a big reward. S Disc YRC to punish predictable run in attempts or ground teleports and Blitzshield as an AA option. Blitzshield as AA is a godsend, you cannot use any of your AAs vs him, at best they clash but usually it's a counterhit and you eat massive damage. 

You shouldn't be pressing too many buttons as a Millia player as it is but in this matchup you have be even more selective than normal. It's hard to get a huge punish off IB I found myself settling for a stray f.s after IB in most cases. It will likely take longer to get your offense going so remaining patient is key. His midscreen mixup is not too bad to deal with and being able to blitz the crossup j.h mixup makes it even less threatening. The corner mixup is pretty scary, just remember when he does wallcling drop>j.h; if you are on 1p side block right, 2p side block left.

Lastly I think taking to the skies is not a bad idea in this matchup, j.k and j.p can contest his air normals fairly well, max range J.d can also put in work. Pin doesn't seem to do a whole lot vs Chipp due to the fact that he is even faster than you, he is always out of the effective pin range/can get out of it easily. One thing I tried was airdash away from him and throw it as he runs towards you, it worked occasionally but I don't see it becoming something reliable it's just a hard read at this point. Will definitely be experimenting in that matchup to try and find ways of making pin effective.