Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_undercover_beret

[Xrd] Slayer vs. May

How do you guys fight May? It feels like I am fighting Testament with all the shit she can put on screen lol.

Her dolphins and normals control the space right in front of her very well, keeping Slayer out. The risk reward of doing HDolphin versus slayer is in her favor when we have <50% tension and even then they shouldn't be doing naked HDolphins from too far away. 3K will beat 6P, but if you block you'll counter hit her.

K dandy after she sets her aquarium can catch her but aquarium can be delayed to hit your k dandy.

Your best anti-air is Blitz shield lol.

Keeping her at the tip of 5k can shut a lot of her things down but 3k slides under it :(.

Oh, and 6P will clash with her invincible super lol

I just feel like I have to weather the storm but then I get OHK :O.

I walk forward, jump forward and short dash forward then block a lot.

Currently not a scary matchup for me.

Good May's will stay out and fish with 5S, 5H and jH while setting up Balls and Animals.

I will fish with 5K, just like you said, but 3K is a big risk unless they have meter so it doesn't bother me. (you get a free CH 5H or 2H!)

If I can get my 5K blocked, then I feel like I'm in. I can P or K Mappa depending on what they like to do afterward and/or if they're FDing.

The Mappa is there to get them to just block, then off of 5K you can start doing 6H or Instant Air Dash off of it (Standard Slayer stuff).

If they like to mash after blocking Mappa, and they normal blocked standing, backdash cancel into Instant Air Dash. If they crouch blocked or FD, I'm confident in going for a 2K.

An ideal spot to be in is her in the corner, at Post Blocked P Mappa range. This is ideal because her fastest stuff will whiff you and then you can just punish with 5K or 2K, etc.

When you're going for pressure in the corner, try and get yourself into this position. This makes it so they can't mash out of Under Pressure>It's Late either.

Either they will whiff or their extended hitbox will get caught by your attacks.

No great reversal means you get to go ham, but be careful of 2H and Blitz Shield.

In the corner, a crouching May is wanting to 2P, 2D, 2H, 5H or 3K. A standing May wants to jump out. An FDing May also wants to jump out. 6H or 236K or air throw accordingly.

Her back jump is one of her best defensive tools, but you can counter it if you're ready.

When you're at neutral, I don't have much advice other than just fish better than her. Her normals have great priority, so don't try to beat them head on, try and catch her coming in instead.

If she sends out a beach ball, I try to jump and block it to get rid of it.

I keep 5K, and both Mappas locked and loaded so that I can snipe any backdashes or pressure openings (like if she whistles for a dolphin after a normal)

I also fish with 6P a lot. I usually only do this at a good range because they can punish it with 3K or a late dolphin ride or a simple jump or air dash.

Just getting close and getting her to swing with a normal(even if you just block it) is a better position to be in than her far away throwing animals at you.

You cannot beat her jH, find ways around it. It will mess you up.

I feel not enough Mays use vertical dolphin against Slayer.

Maybe not enough of them are setting it up well enough, but I feel like I can always backdash out of knockdown dolphin and otter setups.

I fear the Mays who know this and will just go for 5K, 2P or 2K>2D when I'm knocked down.

Yeah I beat most Mays online since they don't really have tight set ups on oki but wafflepies, who just IMO is the best May on netplay, usually ends up beating me lol, but i feel he is also a better player than me.

I have gotten better though and started taking more games and i don't lose as badly.

Also in the ranges where 6P is too slow to beat HDolphin on reaction, 5p works well.

Your approach to the match up is spot on though. I need to start implementing P mappa into my game more.

j.2H -> Blitz.
Can be done on reaction. My only addition to this matchup.
If they think they can abuse it with too high jumps.
You can probably get 6HS CWH loop stuff with the right heigh/angle but I usally go for c.S/5HS->air combo.

Fun fact: point blank 6k combos into 2p 2s 2h/2d on crouch!

May seems to be the easiest to do meaty IL/6k into c.s as well.

She needs to go on a diet.

I use bdc dandy and bdc j.p os airthrow (449j.6p+h) as anti airs

In the corner p kappa 5k shuts her down hard. It puts in the perfect spot where her 2D will whiff under 5k, and since its active for so long, you can punish with 2H for a CH. At this range, 5k will also catch the startup of Hdolphin foin a counter hit. 3k will catch you, but that's waaay risky for May. This is a pretty hard spot for May to get out of with out taking a big risk, keep her there until she dies. Generally May gets out because I fuck up somehow or try to get cute with FDC Bite lol.