Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_undercover_beret

[Xrd] Slayer vs.Potemkin

all potemkin needs to do in this match is press 5h.

what opportunities for counterplay does slayer have?

- 6p goes under 5h, but you have to time it early or get ch. 6p ch gives you nothing. you'll probably get whiff punished and take more damage in the long run.

- iad normals will get air CH because of 5h's vertical hitbox. bad bad bad

- k dandy is an option, except: pilebunker has less range AND you can't attack as early out of the step (20f onwards in accent core, 27f onwards in xrd) and ofc you're in ch state during the movement.

- 2h? lol. maybe in accent core.

- you can't whiff punish it outside of max range. and if you read the 5h and attempt to whiff punish, either the long active frames will ch you, or the hurtbox will have already retracted.

- bdc mappa is a bit safer to throw out than 6p, but the risk-reward is still skewed in pot's favor

i'm not out of ideas, but i'm clearly missing something here. any other slayers care to chime in? i don't know how jap slayers play against potemkin but lmao if i find out they spend like 80% of the match in the air, from fear of 5h and slidehead

This matchup has always been bad. It's stil bad but it's better with Mappa not punishable with Buster outside of IB.
You can practially never ever use Dandy outside of pressure.
My best advice for this matchup is really to look at Jap players playing it. Seriously.
Btw you should never ever be hit with slidehead as Slayer. I get hit by it but it's so stupid. You can backdash and use 6K feint to just hop it and just jump. Even use j.2K to avoid a timed slidehead on landing.

If they use safejump after buster with superjump j.HS you can blitz it without reversal timing afaik. Really nice to know.

In neutral how do u deal with hammerfall ? (The move when he charges forward and it has armor) like if I do a mappa and he does hammerfall YRC what can I do to stop that ?

You can't challenge Hammerfall as Slayer because we don't have multi-hit moves.
Even if a move is absorbed by armor you can still cancel it however. So you can do stuff like 5K (hit HF), 214K or cancel into overdrive. You can even jump cancel it into jump FD but with YRC's they can YRC and do Heat knuckle on reaction...
Mappa isn't really a good tool in this matchup unless you use 236P on block or 236K to punish moves with recovery at far range. If they do 5HS for example you can reaction punish it with 236K albeit a bit though.
The only thing that beats HF clean is CWH but it's still a risc with YRC involved. And HF can't absorb overdrives. DoT freezes inputs once the animation started so if you have good enough reactions you can do DoT and they can't YRC if you hit within the next few frames after DoT has actived (not sure how many startup frames YRC has).

All in all because Slayer barely has any gatlings or multihit moves HF is REALLY effective. And Potemkin easily plays neutral footsies with Slayer so you are always on the short end in this matchup.

PK 236P is a classic tool against hammerfall.

Because of Potemkin's big hitbox you can harass him with 5P a lot more than other characters.

Things like 5P 5H are another option

traditionally you will want to use JC'able normals vs. hammerfall, so you can TK specials (e.g. 2147K to force a whiff) on reaction, even when the special cancel window runs out. 6P will also go cleanly under, but you can't FRC 6P in this game :/

your attacks count as YRC/PRCs vs. super armor so against max range HFs when you're playing footsies, maybe you can react to the HF startup and the hitstop of your footsie attack with YRC and then punish or force pot to play YRC chicken? i haven't played against a pot in a while so i can't vouch for this strategy.

5P is your bff. potemkin can technically 6P under it but who cares

This matchup is a whole different game. Almost all special moves should be left aside as they can be easily beaten out (especially by PB).

Patience is so vital against Pot... And also very good nerves because the rounds will be long. The victory must be built step by step with spacing and footsies, with very low damages inflincted at each touch. On the contrary, this bastard will have no difficulties to crush your bar... Definitely one of the match-ups requiring the highest level of concentration.

Dandy Step strike invulnerability can also dodge Slidehead, K Dandy is pretty easy against meaty Slidehead

Playing the meter war is tough when Pot can gain so much more. It is possible to Dandy Step the Hammerfall hit and force him to PRC, which you can follow with your own YRC. Alternatively, you can YRC before the hit then dodge with Dandy Step.

Backdash can be pretty annoying. Something I see Taka do sometimes is UP/IL YRC on reaction to backdash.