Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_undercover_beret

[Xrd] Slayer vs. Zato-1

Hey guys how are u guys dealing will drill pressure? Sometimes I hit Eddie and still can't get in :-/ also when I'm blocking I counter assault and it hits Eddie and zato is still able to press buttons this is so frustrating lol

I am by no means an expert at this game and far less in this matchup.

This is probably one of my toughest matchups so far.
If Zato just use fly and drills I feel extremely locked out.
Ground-to-air AA vs fly <any move>? Forget it. Even with 6P and 2S it's way to hard to time with Zato being able to adjust himself.
Drills forever active... IAD stuff over them is somewhat okay but if you use it late enough for drill frames to drop they have recovered way back and can 6P you. And Zato 6P is gdlk.

I don't really have much answer in this matchup. Footage of good Slayers vs good Zato's is scarce. Though Ogawa vs Taka came up it felt like Taka just bullrushed that sh!t. Would love to see a longer set.

Blitz very useful in this matchup. Both on oki and during pressure.

In this matchup, I like instant air dash + D, it helps me to get in when Zato do S drill to keep me away.

Plus, if you hit zato during the S drill, he enters stagger state (you may be able to combo, I'll try when I get home) I usually just cancel to footloose.

j.D has 5F landing recovery so it makes it a bit difficult. On CH however it's quite easy.
Canceling to Footloose is a good idea since it will knockdown grounded opponents wich gives you oki and a small advantage.
But if you are using IAD on reaction to close drills Eddie should already have recovered to beat you with 6P. This is what happens a lot for me. They can even just do 6P as a check because we can barely get around the drill anyway. If you anticipate a drill in a un-true blockstring you can hit before they recover. Kinda specific situations but with experience you'll learn when you'll hit or get hit.

Any reason for not using IAD j.S(x), j.K? Since j.K doesn't have any landing recovery you'll be able to combo each time on hit. j.S(1), j.K, 5K, 2D works if the spaceing get wonky so you get f.S instead of c.S.

Getting in from the air is what we are reduced to a lot of times vs Zato but he has excellent AA options (6P, 2HS, 6HS and even 5P) so don't get overconfident.

You are right Folgelstrom, I don't use IAD j. D on reaction.

Sometimes, I see zato quickly crouch, so I do IAD j. D, because I expect the drill to come out.
I use it also when I just expect zato to drill.

Just in case, I checked in training mode,  I was using IAD j. D to footloose to avoid landing on the drill. What I was afraid of doesn't even exist.
You were right all along Fogelstrom IAD j. S is just better, because even when j. S and the drill overlap nothing happen. May be when j. S hits Zato the drill hitbox is disabled before it disappears.

IAD j.D has a much more reliable hitbox. Like if they jump out and such.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think this might be a favorable matchup for Slayer.

Stay out and be cautious when at neutral. Use 6[6] jump to move around the stage to chase him down when necessary.

There's not that much to be afraid of after landing Mappa. Use c.S or back dash cancel IAD afterward.

Here are some sets from a few weeks ago that I had...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNxycaMjw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYrC_H4HP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JcrSlppfAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjdKcgB1CME

Flight isn't as big of an annoyance as it was in past games, just be careful with the timing, or even force him to commit, then come back in afterward.

Pressure super hard because he has no great reversal. If they waste 50% for Super, then I think that's still a win on your end.

Use your meter to get Eddy off of you with Dead Angle. The trick is to wait for Eddy to finish his attack, then Dead Angle the attack from Zato himself.

When Eddy comes out at neutral, retreat and make him chase you--just don't force yourself into the corner. Then use 2K or 2P to strike Eddy and then Mappa or K Dandy back in.

Also practice Instant Blocking the buzzsaw. You'll create more gaps to backdash, jump or 2P or 2K.

Learn the spacing for when Invite Hell (drills) can actually come out in relation to Zato and yourself.

Do your best not to challenge when you're airborne and Zato is grounded with Eddy out. Just FD!

That Zato's spacing on normals, drills and eddie summons was bad and there was a lack of 2p and 2s to challenge your dandy and mappa. I wouldn't take that to be representative of the Zato Slayer matchup.

The increased hitbox on 2h in 1.1 should make this matchup easier since Zato will have to be more careful with eddie summons.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think this might be a favorable matchup for Slayer.

Crazy is probably a bit mild. Full blown insane is a tad bit more accurate!

I can't see anyone agreeing with you on that :)

Probably one of my toughest matchups. That is if the Zato knows how to play the matchup. As you can throw half your game out the window.

There is no universe when this match-up is for Slayer. If you're patient enough, and have a good okizeme game, you will crush 90% of the random Zatos that wander on the online lobbys.

However, when you're playing against a guy that actually knows what he is doing and have integrated the game plan of the character, you rapidly feel like a bird in a cage...

About the aspect "getting to Zato through the air": yes most of the time this option is the only one remaining, and yes it implies great risks. Nonetheless, there is a good way to force respect on those Zato so damn confident in their AAs -> IAD delay DHD. Of course, this kind of move should be attempted on players overly abusing AAs... So yes you must have 50% tension, and tension is not really easy to keep in this match-up, but you will often catch the counter and logically a big chunk of damage (and potentially knockdown). Even if you get blocked, DHD is very difficult to punish unless IB. In all cases, Zato will be wary when seeing Slayer coming through the air, easying a bit the hard task of closing the distance in this match-up.

Throw some good Zato's on PSN at me.
Seriously, I know what you're saying and this is already old footage, but I've played this matchup for many years and this is the easiest iteration in my opinion.

If 2P and 2S are stuffing you so much, then dash or air dash more. Or back dash cancel into mappa or dandy if you can do it. <- On that note. If your Dandy Steps are being interrupted, in general, space them out more so that you're swinging at their limbs with the attacks rather than their body.

EDIT

Just wanted to be clear, I meant favorable as in... I'd prefer to fight Zato over a huge majority of the cast. I don't have a solid grasp on the tiers yet, but I feel Slayer is kinda low and Zato is pretty high. Anyways! I appreciate the feedback, here are some more matches from tonight.
Sorry one of the vids is only one match (the last one) cuz I thought I had used up all my time for my ps4 split on the second video. Anyways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPptOUt7S2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eOgYSVXxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3ar1liFq4

Playlist of above matches: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuks2u58S37aKI_4ZEuZxsnPaZngXGpL3

Throw some good Zato's on PSN at me.

Seriously, I know what you're saying and this is already old footage, but I've played this matchup for many years and this is the easiest iteration in my opinion.

If 2P and 2S are stuffing you so much, then dash or air dash more. Or back dash cancel into mappa or dandy if you can do it. <- On that note. If your Dandy Steps are being interrupted, in general, space them out more so that you're swinging at their limbs with the attacks rather than their body.

Zato's 2P has hitbox on his backside. If you teleport behind him you can be hit by it. Also 2P and 2S has 4F active so "just dashing in" isn't all that easy and using dandy properly against 2S is also very hard. He could just 22S and lock out all your forward momentum. I prefer playing patiently in this matchup and limit Dandy's and forward dashes.

If the Zato you are playing like to 2P, 2D as abare remember that 2D is -7 on block so you can punish with 2K. It all happens kinda fast and he can cancel 2D with summons, drills and BTL but still good to know if you see that he doesn't cancel it.