Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_undercover_beret

[Xrd] Slayer vs. Leo Whitefang

Any tips for visual cues on when to switch blocking on Leos crossup attack? I feel like I am getting better at this matchup and disrupting his timing/spacing, but I usually get tripped up when he switches sides because I'm still blocking the wrong side.

If they use "berserk slash" the one when he runs through and gets into backturned stance you can throw it and you can learn to react on it and mash throw.
If they are using Rekka on block it's -1/-4/-6. If you IB between any of the hits it's not true blockstring but if it's normal block you can just hold one direction since you never go out of blockstun.

If he's using dash through on oki you are also able to throw the dash but if he cancels it into K/P it's throw invul... you either mash throw, 2P or try and backdash and hope you did it in the right direction.
You can also use 2+S+HS since then you cover both BT K/P since neither is overhead.

6P is REALLY good in this matchup. Any good Leo is going to use alot of f.S and 5HS and 6P blows that right up.

For me the biggest issue in this matchup (besides Leo in general is a bit mashy and I dislike the way he plays) is charged shoryu. I hate super easy input reactional crap. So many players just sit tight and wait for dandy and let it rip. Or dash through, 6HS or whatever. But hey at least we can get c.S air hit after blocked/wiffed HS shoryu for nice combo.

You should never use only j.K as a jump-in anyway. Even if it super deep if they IB they can always throw you.
j.S(x), j.K (can still get thrown but alot better), j.HS/j.D, Footloose.
If you wanna be dat guy you can do IAD then DHD their AA

This matchup drove me up a wall when I did a set with a friend.

Leo's 5HS outranges your 5K, hits on both sides (and a little above his swords), has a hitbox beyond the sword itself, and has vacuum on hit.  It also outranges and feels like crushes your 2K as well leaving you in a crouching states that is an easy confirm to rekkas for him.

Leo's rekkas can be staggered on the crossing hit to make it have to be blocked since it isn't a true string anymore.  If patch notes are correct this will become throw invul so that is another option you won't have once Leo starts his pressure.

I feel like bite is very useful in this match since Leo has a [2]8 reversal that stops a lot of dandy step pressure and UP mixup since Leo can just react to the follow-up with his [2]8 move. 

Man Leo does a ton of damage out of nowhere with a ground game that beats Slayer in a couple of areas.

IB'ing the first rekka hit lets you p dandy pb the follow up rekka for a CH, but i think it's spacing dependent though. Like Fogel said 6P is fucking amazing here --beats his 5S, 5HS and D.

His DP, just like Sol's, is annoying to deal with for sure though.

If you play well in neutral and have the meter to spend you can use YRC on oki or just at any point you'd think he'd use shoryu. The timing is rather impossible at that point to actually perform it and once he looses charge there's nothing he can do but wait again. It's worth knowing if you have knockdown and willing to spend the meter to "lock out" a shoryu and cluth a win.