Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shoto

AC: Basic and Situational Combos

Alright, first off, how do you do rensen after a simple gatling (2k -> 2d -> ren, for example)? I just don't know when to input it.

What, Rensen Geki? If your on the left side of the screen, just hold 1, then do 1k, 1d, rensen, etc. Srry, I'm still not sure what your asking....haven't used Axl in a while.

Now, TK bomber is a weird input motion. Can it be done midscreen, though? It seems like it really pushes the guy back if you're trying to hit with 2s right after. I can do a simple corner combo, but midscreen is iffy. I know you have to input it as low as possible, but the height thing is going to take some practice getting used to.

Are you using a pad? If so, just do 360 motion, then input dp motion. So, 63214789236 HS. Hard to explain, just try it out in practice.(It's actually really easy once you get the hang of it.)

As far as learning curves go, Axl is not that hard. His normals are a bit unorthodox, so I guess that's why some folks feel that he's hard. My advice would be to just get use to doing his normals and see what it looks like/what situation it should be used in, etc. He's got good meaty pokes like 6HS (can be used at the end of a block string to pump the guard bar up) and a ridiculously good 2k (you can use this to cross up or even dodge certain attacks).

Also, just search up videos of Shuuto (spelling?) on youtube, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icLAL3dKLGg&feature=related

What, Rensen Geki? If your on the left side of the screen, just hold 1, then do 1k, 1d, rensen, etc. Srry, I'm still not sure what your asking....haven't used Axl in a while.

Well, I meant when you do 2d, do you get rensen out before the second hit, after, or anywhere in between? I just can't seem to be able to cancel into rensen from any point in the move...

Are you using a pad? If so, just do 360 motion, then input dp motion. So, 63214789236 HS. Hard to explain, just try it out in practice.(It's actually really easy once you get the hang of it.)

Yeah, I'm a pad player. I actually prefer 6321473 HS. I'm not too used to 360 motions and it looks like it gets out faster with this input anyway. Personal preference I guess. It's just weird in that it's a kind of diagonal super input, but it's not too hard to get out.

As far as learning curves go, Axl is not that hard. His normals are a bit unorthodox, so I guess that's why some folks feel that he's hard. My advice would be to just get use to doing his normals and see what it looks like/what situation it should be used in, etc. He's got good meaty pokes like 6HS (can be used at the end of a block string to pump the guard bar up) and a ridiculously good 2k (you can use this to cross up or even dodge certain attacks).

Also, just search up videos of Shuuto (spelling?) on youtube, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icLAL3dKLGg&feature=related

I see. He doesn't appear too hard from the time I've spent on him, though his combo damage appears to be relatively lower than average, but that's not a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

EDIT: Actually, I have another query, which I should already have asked, but here goes: which normals are combo starters (or at least the most used)?

Well, I meant when you do 2d, do you get rensen out before the second hit, after, or anywhere in between? I just can't seem to be able to cancel into rensen from any point in the move...

Either you got the notations messed up or I'm missing something. 2d is a sweep (only 1 hit).

Since you mention cancelling out of a two hit move into rensen, I'm assuming that your talking about either:

1) 2p (2 hit poke, I think you can cancel this into rensen)

2) 2hs (meaty 2 hit poke, but I don't think you can cancel this into rensen)

EDIT: Actually, I have another query, which I should already have asked, but here goes: which normals are combo starters (or at least the most used)?

I learned most of my stuff from youtube through match vids, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tqrb7ZvQEs&feature=related

basic block string, normals usually starts with 2K, 5K:

5K -> S© -> 2K -> 2D -> rensen

2K -> 2D -> rensen

*Axl's game is centered mostly around zoning w/ his pokes, punishing free jump-ins w/ his anti-airs, and pushing the opponent to the corner for the B-Loop. Oh yea, Axl's damage is actually pretty ridiculous, the B-Loop can drop 70-80% of an opponents life bar easily.

Either you got the notations messed up or I'm missing something. 2d is a sweep (only 1 hit).

Since you mention cancelling out of a two hit move into rensen, I'm assuming that your talking about either:

1) 2p (2 hit poke, I think you can cancel this into rensen)

2) 2hs (meaty 2 hit poke, but I don't think you can cancel this into rensen)

Nvm... it was just me messing up BB's notations with GG's. Problem solved! >_>

I learned most of my stuff from youtube through match vids, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tqrb7ZvQEs&feature=related

basic block string, normals usually starts with 2K, 5K:

5K -> S© -> 2K -> 2D -> rensen

2K -> 2D -> rensen

*Axl's game is centered mostly around zoning w/ his pokes, punishing free jump-ins w/ his anti-airs, and pushing the opponent to the corner for the B-Loop. Oh yea, Axl's damage is actually pretty ridiculous, the B-Loop can drop 70-80% of an opponents life bar easily.

Alright, I'll get to working on that. Thanks again for the info!

Er, note: An important blockstring is 5K, 3P, 2D. It's slightly non-intuitive, but you'll notice Japanese players do it a lot. Gameplan-wise, it differs a lot from matchup to matchup. One common misconception, however, is that you're trying to play keepaway. This will get you destroyed. If you want keepaway, play like, TE or something.

I see. He doesn't appear too hard from the time I've spent on him, though his combo damage appears to be relatively lower than average, but that's not a problem.

Er, hey actually this is quite untrue as well. You get pretty stupid levels of damage. It's not Jam/Slayer/May damage, but it's at least above average. Just gotta know how to get it.

Is there a list of all the character-specific B-loops from TK-bomber and throw? The generic ones in the first post are neat, but they don't do nearly as much damage as I'm hoping for.

There's no comprehensive list, but I've written them out as I worked on the ones from TKB in this thread, and also made a video of what I currently knew to be the best (I think one or two have since been revised). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjHfqlM7XdA

From throw, I don't even bother going for big damage anymore unless it'll kill 'em. The 50% prorate makes me want to do just enough to get them nervous and trick them into a reset for a lot more.

However, rather than memorize specifics, there are some general rules you can follow:

1. A pretty safe bet for a good rep is a simple j.D, Bomber.

2. The least damaging (but most reliable!) rep is 2S, j.D, Bomber.

3. In the vast majority of the combos I recommend from TKB, the first rep is c.S, j.D, Bomber.

4. TKB in the middle of a loop is seldom optimal, except against Ky, Eddie, Venom, and Millia (There are 4 others where there's a TKB in the max damage ver. off TKB, but it's not a safe assumption to make as a general rule).

And memorize these:

Jam: TKB, c.S, j.D, Bomber, j.D, Bomber, TKB, run, 2S, j.K, Bomber, rensen-2

ABA: TKB, j.D Bomber x 4 (Actually, in most situations, you can just loop this on her a few times and call it good), rensen-2. (Dizzy is similar, but actually easier to combo, but harder to KD)

Bridget: TKB, c.S, j.D, Bomber, (sj.H, j.D, Bomber)x2, Rensen-2.

@DW:

That Bridget combo can be perform on May ??

I don't think so, but you can definitely get a better version on May anyway.

The May Version I do is also the optimal combo for a lot of other characters:

TKB->c.S-j.D-Bomber, j.H-j.D-Bomber, j.D-Bomber, run 2S-j.D-Bomber.

And in response to your other question: Most of the optimal loops (As far as I've come up with) involve at least one j.D-Bomber rep, although this is sometimes impossible (JO, Robo-ky, etc.) or kills the combo.

You can dash under opponent and use your dash as charge for 5H rensen (don't have AC, it work in #R). With full bar you can do it 4 times in 1 combo (25-26 hits). Also one of our player do: rensen frc, dash under opponent, rensen frc, another crossdash, c.S air combo on Bridget in #R. I think it must work in AC too

Dickin around with bombers

CH Bomber in the corner on zappa-

CH 9623H > 669623H > 9623H > 9623H > 46S FRC > 669623H > 9623H > 46S FRC > 669623H > 46S FRC 669623H > 46S FRC > 966 j.D j.623H > 46S ~2

I think its possible to get 2 bombers after the second FRC if you're doin everything perfect...but that would have probably taken another hour or two of training mode to prove...tho I do want 10 bombers in a combo...

It's been forever since I've played #R, but I think you can still end with rensen most of the time, and it's almost always practical to get knockdown. Then again, when you're starting your loop with cornered TKB(RC) in #R, I'm unsure we're still talking about practical.

With the imminent release of GG again I thought it's be a good idea to brush up my axl and maybe make some new(ish) combos. I've only been through the first 15 pages of this thread, and the last 5, so forgive me if I repost something. (Every combo is started from where training mode places you and is done on Venom-as he is the character I play the most against)

S©, HS, rensen[frc], run up S©, j.HS, j.D, FB Bomber, air dash j.D, Bomber, 2S(2 hits), j.D, rensen, 2

-Nothing too new here but I wanted to work on damage maxing, so I simply jump cancel the S© rather than add the 2 hits from 2S. I wanted to do the same with the 2S in the corner but can't seem to end the B-loop.

S©, HS, rensen[frc], IAD bomber, rensen[frc], IAD bomber, 2s(2 hits), j.D, Bomber, rensen, 2

-Trying to get fancy with IAD after rensen and throw in some bombers for flavor. It seems that for tension/damage ratio though it would be better if after the first frc you did IAD j.D, FB Bomber into B-loop.

(From the starting position of training mode first back-dash to get the right distance from opponent)

632147S[frc]-(but after the move connects), air dash Bomber, run up K, 2S(2 hits), j.D, Bomber, quickly run up, 2S(2 hits), j.D, Bomber, rensen, 2

-Trying to include jump installing in combos. 25% bar for nice damage from mid-screen, 50% if you miss the frc and rc instead. Also the combo works if you botch the first bomber with a j.HS instead. Unfortunately you must have the spacing correct or you'll send them sliding the other way with the 63214S.

Well I've killed my dying controller, but not before I eked out some more stuff.

(Again from starting positions against Venom)

Run up - but leave a tiny amount of space as the 63214S later on needs to hit a certain way - K, S©, 2H[frc], 63214S, rensen[frc], run up 2S(both hits), j.D, Bomber - and here I'm almost positive another loop is possible but the combo can be ended with rensen,2

And here's the combo I was trying to make when the controller passed away

Use same spacing as the previous combo, K, S©, 2H[frc], 632147S[frc]-but after the hit- air dash bomber ~ by this time you are to the wall and can probably run up and use S©, 2S to begin a quick B-loop. Would appreciate if someone could confirm these combos!

Those combos *can* be made to work. However:As far as damage maxing goes, the best way to do that is usually to frontload your damage and minimize non-special hits. See if you can get really good at airborne mixup (Kokuugeki as a crossup/non-crossup/air poke/frametrap, pseudo-fuzzyguard traps with strings into j.D, etc.) Also, wherever you can, avoid using 2S at all, because literally any other variation that you can substitute will normally do more damage. Rensen->IAD bomber combos are flashy and cool (And work outside of the corner on like, what, slayer?), but it's generally more efficient, more versatile, and less situational to use IAD->falling j.H. For times when you should actually use IAD->Bomber (Which has cool properties due to how airdashing works in GG), see situations where you're trying to get from midscreen to the corner from an air combo to FB bomber. (Usually something along the lines of (Anti-air or combo to rensen)->j.K-j.6P-623D-6623H. You'd be surprised how far from the corner you can be and still get a loop into knockdown, (or at least a corner airthrow reset) this way)I'd suggest using just 5H for those JI 63214S combos. It's more consistent, does better damage, and doesn't cost you the meter for the 2H FRC. It does mean that in some cases (specifically: If you're spaced to cross up), you'll need to Superjump-install at the cS, which is slightly tough, but worth learning. Getting them afraid of the damage you get off that is really nice because it also makes the 5H chain-to-mixup (You can also do, for example, rensen, rashou, 5D, 2D, 2H from it) a lot stronger, and you can also of course throw in the occasional non-hitting FRC into landing throw/bomber/kokuugeki.If you're interested in JI stuff that's match-practical, there are some variations that you do for burst-safeness. It's been a while since I've run any training mode due to school, but JI-to-Superjump combos that let you throw more j.Ks into your air strings are a great way to bait bursts and techs. As far as flashy stuff goes, a cool thing to try that tends to fuck with people's techtrap sense is consecutive-raeisageki corner loops. I've mentioned these before, but they're really cool:Do a combo into rensen FRC in the corner, then toss a 63214S. If you do it right, you'll hit them in the air and it will give you enough time to do another one without and FRC, then continue your combo. This will black beat a lot sooner than a bomber loop, which is actually the point: You're trying to get them to tech at a bad time by mixing up your combos. As you probably already know, Axl gets a lot of almost guaranteed damage if the opponent is in the air and Axl is neutral on the ground. Of course you should probably do a version of it that knocks down occasionally, so they still think you're screwing up when they can tech.

Awesome. thanks for the input. I'd like to try that JI-to-Superjump business, as well as varying the timing of an available tech with raeisageki.

Caught the fever again and created a useful combo. I've only tested it out on Venom so far (as he is the only other character I play against) so I would appreciate if someone could confirm if it works on other characters.

25% Tension, 22 Hit, 225 Damage, Mid-to-Wall Combo

From the Round's Starting Position (You must be AT LEAST this close)

Run up, 4(c.S, HS, 2D)6S, frc, Run up (catch them as late as possible) c.S, 2S, j.D, Bomber, Run up (but only slightly! Too little you will be too far for the combo to continue; Too close and they will be too low for the next j.D to connect), 2S, j.D 46S, 2

I have it recorded so I will try and upload it.

A while ago when I started working more on this game and maining Axl, I've noticed that sometimes landing the first 2S is just impossible to hit with if Bomber is your corner combo starter that just happened to hit. Sometimes if Bomber hits the opponent too high up in the hurtbox, it becomes almost impossible to follow up directly with 2S because the opponent will be too low to the ground for 2S to hit. Even worse is when 2S only hits 1 time and suddenly the opponent recovers and counterhits you back.

While dabbling in training mode earlier though, I noticed that you can just apply a 6P to pop them up a bit before the 2S, and the entire combo will land every time and still deal just as much damage. I didn't see this idea in the combo thread, so I thought I'd post this just in case this might help someone else out. 6P is a guaranteed hit every time. All you have to do is confirm that the bomber hit wasn't a counter and you're good. You also never have to hit 6P again during the loop, just that one time on the first bomber hit, as it will just push you away and make the combo unnecessarily harder to land.