Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiamat

Bedman Critique Thread

@GcYoshi

Sorry for the delay to answer. Thanks for the tips! Really appreciate it.

About 6P, you're right, but I was scared because my friend after a few matches almost always was countering my 6P with yrc + any Zato air move or Shadow Gallery(really annoying move @#*$%)

My air tech is really bad, need to improve >_<" and I didn't know IB drill was so important. I'll definitely try it more from now on.

Local tournament vids that i'm in, any pointer would be much appriciate. I just switched to using a stick recently so i messed up a lot of combo and pay quite the price, dropping all those simple motions.

Note : Mute the sound... the background noise is quite irritating

I think your play is solid and I won't nitpick on things that are retrospective (like you should've anti-air'd here or something). There are somethings to note that you may not know.

Singles:

VS Chipp

- Task A is very risky in this MU. Don't throw one after your burst, since it's actually punishable. Don't throw one during your block strings predictably since alpha blade goes under it.

- While you are successful in many cases, your choices of cS, and 2P anti-air are very risky. Chipp's jD is outright brutal in that even 6P loses to it a lot. 

- Remember that Chipp's rekkas are all very minus. You WANT him to resort to rekkas in his string. Also do not 2K to punish the end of the 2nd rekka, because if he does the Overhead kick, he'll avoid the 2K and CH you. Try poking with 2P or fS/cS.

- I'm not sure if you're doing it, but try to OS your throw attempts. One round I saw a lot of whiffed 5Hs. cS/fS throw OS is good along with 6P Throw OS.

- You tried doing cS, 5H(2), sj, jP, jK, jS, Task C at the end. That combo works, but you have to delay the super jump. It's also inconsistent on Chipp. Do cS, 5H (2), super jump, jK, air dash down forward, jS, Task C, cS, jump forward, jK, air dash forward, jK, jS, Task C. That's the most optimal Chipp punish and 100% consistent.

Vs Pot

- This Pot is pretty ridiculous lol. Vietamese FAB?

- FD jump is imperative. You got a bit scared after he got the Heat Knuckle read on you. Just remember that his rewards off of HK is generally not that great until he gets 50 tension. 

- Need to Task A in neutral, even if he can flick it. you can hit him with 2H/3H if he attempts to. Also you can hover high in the air to avoid flick and use a momentum carried air dash to fly far away from him (done by FDing or attacking right after your air dash). Remember you can also forward dash the flick projectile. A neat trick is to throw Task A, have him flick it as it's coming towards him, then wait a little bit and use the coverage of the return trajectory of Task A to cover your forward dash into the flick projectile.

- Learn double seal throw combos and set-ups afterwards since you seem to get a lot of throws. It will synergize well with your 6H YRC throw mix-ups that you like to do.

- Convert off of far hitting Sinusoidal Helios with 2H, jS, Air Task B.

Vs Ky

- This match, you did a lot of empty air dashes. Bedman stops his momentum if you don't take an action so just throw a jP in there to get more distance. Don't mind this if those empty air dashes were intentional.

- Remember that off of CH jD, you can air dash down, jK, and air Task B on the entire cast. If they are crouching, you can do a string into 2S, 2H even.

- Don't try to use 2D to abare. It's quite slow. 2S is far better for that due to it being faster, less - (it's 0 on block!), and also it lowers bedman's hitbox.

VS Sin

- I think you need to FD block more in general. A lot of damage you took was Chipp actually. Also he was cranking up your RISC like crazy since you were blocking for so long.

- I understand your transition to stick and your movement is pretty good actually. A lot of these matches would be easier if your 6P confirms lead into Task C :(. I know you were trying to do it when I saw the 5H instead.

- Be very careful about your Task As. 

@GCYoshi Thanks for the tips, much appriciated. I never know that combo on Chipp before , will try doing that. As for the Pot the reason why I don't Task A often is because he know the timing really well and will just jump to dodge the 3H and j.H to stuff my face if i try dashing through, will definitely try to run away from him more.

even if he knows the timing, you can still CH him if he attempts to flick it. I think it's worth doing.

Been a while since I posted matches.  I got 2nd at Fraudsgarden.  

http://www.twitch.tv/f_swipes/v/18995303

04:11:33 vs VR Raiden (Sol)
- Lost round at 04:12:47 due to input error where I failed a punish on VV
- At 04:18:33 when 6H goes through his VV and you both whiff you can get a 2H punish but I didn't do it

04:28:45 vs Psyken (Millia)
- I get hit by her dust a lot.
- At 04:29:30 I hit 6Pc.S when she is very high up.  I should have done a superjump to combo but I'm not used to doing that so I failed.  Shortly after that I try a 236H anti air and it gets stuffed by j.P.  I really shouldn't be doing that.  Air 236H wasn't working well for me.  I put myself in a bad spot with it a lot of times.  Even if she is in the air and you're above her her j.H can beat it.
- In match 2 I do a really random 6H in neutral and I don't know why cause she was really far away.  Near end of round I hit the j.S safejump but didn't combo from it and messed up input anyway and got 5H.  I hit her with a low then I comboed to 236S but I forgot about the ball return which messed up my knockdown.  End of 2nd match I hit a 5H on oki but I wasn't trying to grab him.  Not sure if some strange input error or what.  
- 3rd match did not know she could IB 2H then forward run under 236P -_-
- should have 3Hed her for doing a blockstring to secret garden

04:15:00 vs Pacstrife (I-no)

05:29:00 vs DBC (Venom)
- bad burst punish first round
- I know the double seal throw combo for Venom but I was pretty sure I would drop it so I did something I knew I wouldn't drop.  I really don't want venom to get out of the corner.

05:52:00 vs Daiken Dan (Elphelt) Loser Finals
- 2nd round I didn't struggle the stun.   Failed to combo from the j.S safejump in last round.  Could have done 2K.  Hit a 236S knockdown and messed up my airdash input resulting in an empty jump over.
- match 2 I dash teleport then I do f.S 2H whiff.  you'd think I'd be able to realize I whiffed and not do 2H...
- kept trying my safejump j.S to 6H even though he was jumping the 6H, didn't adapt well for this.
- match 4 I've missed punishing her 5H whiffing over my crouch I few times.  Tried to do double seal combo from a corner throw and failed miserably.
- last match finally punish her 5H whiff over my crouch.  
- dropped my j.H to 2K combo.

06:05:45 vs Psyken (Millia) GF
- 6H RC combo drop sucked first match
- match 2 I see 236P really doesn't seem to be worth much since he just runs under it.  He's running under a lot of stuff throughout my matches with him and I didn't catch on.  
- match 3 round 2 I tried 6H crossup when I should have known I was too far for it.  I would have won this match if I had done a 2K OTG at the very end but I was trying to do 2Kc.S and I pressed 2K too early so 2K didn't come out and c.S missed.  Then I tried to interrupt millia with 2K instead of 2P and died cause 6K -_-
- match 4 last round I saw he had full meter so I predicted his wakeup OD.  I YRCed then did a forward jump to air FD but got hit.  At the time I thought the OD crossed me up (maybe it did cause I do see a side switch) but I think maybe I just ran out of meter for air FD.  I shouldn't have YRCed.  Not sure what is best way to deal with Winger when she's able to RC it.  Haven't tried but I don't think backdashing to make it miss would work because she goes downward after going up.  After that happened I lost composure and started doing more random 236Hs which is bad.

Mostly want advice for Millia matches since I lost those.  

I'd like to get general advice, not necessarily on vs. Elphelt matchup (that, I can practice a lot and almost at any time) but mostly about what it is that my Bedman still lacks.

Known issue: I backed away when I had the corner and took a lot of punishment as a result of that. Don't ask me why, it was winners finals and I was playing agains a guy I've never beaten before, so some stupid decisions had to be made out of stress.

Link to match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4VftOyjmi8

I'd like to get general advice, not necessarily on vs. Elphelt matchup (that, I can practice a lot and almost at any time) but mostly about what it is that my Bedman still lacks.

Known issue: I backed away when I had the corner and took a lot of punishment as a result of that. Don't ask me why, it was winners finals and I was playing agains a guy I've never beaten before, so some stupid decisions had to be made out of stress.

Link to match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4VftOyjmi8

- Don't jump, don't jump, don't jump in neutral so much, especially against Elphelt. Any of ehr normals will anti air Bedman. You barley 6p'ed her
- Dooooooooon't jump at all in defense UNLESS you're
expecting a cmd-/tick-throw. Expose your enemies blockstrings with ib and dash out / fb and whiff punish whiffed normals
- Work on your ground footsie game with your pokes, walk speed, dash teleports and be sure when it's safe to go for Task A
- Pressure your enemy with 2p into tick throw or 6hs and see if they can handle it
- Triangle / fd cancel airdash mix ups after Task B combos

- Corner Deja Vu Task C Oki into meterless high/low/throw conversion
- Take Burst with 50% Tension
- Everytime you got in with Task A' he tried to throw you. Punish him with j.d after teleport. You get a combo on CH.

Xanadu Monthly Tournament 11/28/2015

vs 4r5 (Slayer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWNl0Fxmh58
4:16 - Forgot what to do about halfway through the combo and just threw out 236H and missed.  I almost lost the round for dropping that combo cause he got me in the corner when I dropped and beat me up pretty hard.

vs Rover Ruckus (Zato-1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0W4MIXo4Xs
1:55 - Input error on the j.D instant overhead, then another input error and whiffed j.H going upward
8:16 - He made a pretty huge input error here, I think his command grab attempt turned into a jump after the 6K RC
8:41 - You can't see in the video, but right as he was getting knocked down his stick lost connection so he was doomed.  A message popped up on screen at the time.

vs Matt Coma (I-no)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9DG9malew
I see some spots where I can tell I tried to overdrive on wakeup and I never got it.  

vs AngryBlack (May)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_nBq4nH7c
6:50 -  I notice here that because I'm in the air too much it's letting her get beachballs out and that's causing me big problems.
9:55 - This round I'm seeing some pretty random forward dashes and 236Hs. Not pleasant to watch.  
Lost pretty badly here so matchup advice would be helpful.  Also, the last match is missing from the video but I know it was 0-6 so it must have just looked like the others.

Edit:  Made a playlist on youtube for most of my matches that were posted in this thread, many dustloop links are dead.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaUlUH9q3MGktHq7l-TaEkbWrDQrb_XKh

New matches from the latest monthly tournament in Maryland

vs Alpha Sol (Elp) - 4:57 is what happens when you go against your better judgement and see their tension bar but do something stupid and get overdrived.  Had a pretty rough time with this match and almost went to losers right away.  I think a lot of things I did were pretty sloppy.  There are some spots I had opportunities to anti air and I didn't even try to.  Elphelt matchup advice would be good though cause she's hard to deal with.

vs Vic viper (Ky) - I got a nice DP bait about 34 seconds in then dropped my combos.  4:23 is dropping easy throw combo it's not intentional air throw setup (at least the first tech wasn't)

vs Kinpin Dan (Pot) - I dropped a ton of combos in this match.  Namely the 1H/2H into 9S 3S over and over.  I only really started getting it in the last round.

vs AngryBlack (May) - Not using my 214P DV at some spots where I could have to help in neutral.  Letting her beach ball too much and getting wrecked.  I notice at 2:02 I'm fairly close but she does a beach ball and I jump away, which looks like a pretty questionable reaction to me.  At 9:40 I hit a CH 3H when she does a beach ball but I don't combo or try to move in, it looks like I was scared of the beach ball but it went away when she got hit.  I have a lot more work to do to learn this matchup so as last time, advice would be appreciated.  

No comment for the other two but I recommend checking out my match with VR since it was close.  

On 4/15/2016 at 7:50 PM, Lynxfort said:

I appreciate  any advice.. start from min 29
https://www.twitch.tv/sniper_amer/v/60779002

Should try to confirm and do better blockstrings.  For example, doing a string into 5H 2D is usually bad.  If opponent does FD agianst your normals it can make 5H whiff during blockstrings, and 2D has limited options because it can only go to special moves and not other normals or a jump cancel.  If you see you're getting blocked try to change your string accordingly.  For example if you are doing an interrupt combo with 2P2P2K2D and you see you got blocked you could do 2P2P2K 2S.  2S is neutral on guard and you can either do 2H after it or not.  2D doesn't give nearly as good options.  

If you don't want to have to worry about getting DPed by Leo or whoever after your 236K is blocked use 2P right away.  It's so tight they can't DP you if they block the 236K.  I see you doing c.S after it a lot and there's risk of being DPed.  Unless you're trying to frametrap you're probably better off using 2P to prevent DPs or 2K to try to hit them low.  You can also try going straight into 6H from the blocked 236K or you can try j.D.  You do c.S 5H almost every time it is blocked and there's no reason for your opponent to get hit by this.  Doesn't allow you to continue pressure or do a mixup.

Try to get used to the spacing on 2H and 3H better so you can use them when your 236P is getting blocked.  It's also good in neutral even without cover if you've got a good read and handle on the spacing.  Leo is a very large character so it's less likely to whiff than normal when using it.  Sometimes you are using 1H during neutral and I'm not sure if this is an accident or intentional.  Are you trying to anti air with it or something?  Unlike 2H and 3H I don't see much reason to use this outside combos.  

Leo's 2D can be punished on block.  You should try it out with the recording feature if you don't have a punish in mind.  I even saw you DAA after blocking it.  

You get a lot of blank DV summons on oki.  Are you just pressing the wrong button?  Seems odd 

nd 2D has limited options because it can only go to special moves and not other normals or a jump cancel.

Cuz i always canceling the 2D into both task A's especially TA' delaying it can blocked normally immediately it for cross up

If you don't want to have to worry about getting DPed by Leo or whoever after your 236K is blocked use 2P right away.  It's so tight they can't DP you if they block the 236K.  I see you doing c.S after it a lot and there's risk of being DPed.

i used it cuz frame data says that I'm +9 f after  frame after x blocked  T'A e and leol;s  DP is 6 for start up

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Bedman/Frame_Data
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Leo_Whitefang

1H during neutral and I'm not sure if this is an accident or intentional.  Are you trying to anti air with it or something?  Unlike 2H and 3H I don't see much reason to use this outside combos.  

ops...i didn't realize i have to use 6P instead:sweatdrop:

Leo's 2D can be punished on block.  You should try it out with the recording feature if you don't have a punish in mind.  I even saw you DAA after blocking it.

it's -5 on block only it's only punished from the range of 2P i can punish it with c.S or st K if i just defend them..but i think to predict  is so hard to me

10 hours ago, Lynxfort said:

Cuz i always canceling the 2D into both task A's especially TA' delaying it can blocked normally immediately it for cross up

i used it cuz frame data says that I'm +9 f after  frame after x blocked  T'A e and leol;s  DP is 6 for start up

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Bedman/Frame_Data
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Leo_Whitefang

Well if 2D hits yeah sure do 236K but I mean if you're doing a blockstring you should try not to end in 2D unless you think they will get hit by it due to it being a low.   

Leo DP 6 frame startup doesn't matter the invulnerblity is 1 frame and that's what matters.  Even a 1 frame gap between the 236K blocked and your followup could get you DPed.  If you time your c.S tight enough I think Leo can't DP but during match play your timing may not be perfect (and in the video you're getting DPed).