Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TaoFTW

[CT] Taokaka Combo & BnB Thread

Guys, what are some decent combos against Rachel? I admit I haven't fought a lot of them so far online, but maybe it's the lag or maybe it's me sucking but it seems like I can't seem to get atleast two drive loops on her, when I happen to hit her with 5b->3c->5d~6-> etc. I also want to say that I still want to stay away from j.2d~b combos when playing online because the random delay just screws the timing I am learning offline... :\

Found an easy combo with decent damage for begginning tao drive loopers against haku/ragna/jin etc. 3c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.a -> j.a -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb~

Found an easy combo with decent damage for begginning tao drive loopers against haku/ragna/jin etc.

3c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.a -> j.a -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb~

Tried to Pm you corrections but you logged lol

alright this will work instead:

3c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.a -> j.a -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

@Ronove: not sure any I know are really practical on Rachel on Live. 236cc or 6c are both painfully slow and are the only good damage combos I know on her that do not involve j.2d~b. Also, is it just me or does Rachel have slightly less gravity when she falls from a high distance?

Some OK combos against Rachel for Xbox Live:

5b -> 6a -> 2d~6 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

5b -> 6a -> 236aa -> 2d~6 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

3c -> 5d~6 -> j.c -> 5d~6 -> j.a -> j.a -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

Yeah... I had it on CH on training unfortunately XD I forgot... so try it on haku again with CH on 3c, and it'll work ^w^;;... but if its just a standard hit, then yeah, you'll have to cut one j.c -> 5d~6 short :P

@Ronove: not sure any I know are really practical on Rachel on Live. 236cc or 6c are both painfully slow and are the only good damage combos I know on her that do not involve j.2d~b. Also, is it just me or does Rachel have slightly less gravity when she falls from a high distance?

Some OK combos against Rachel for Xbox Live:

5b -> 6a -> 2d~6 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

5b -> 6a -> 236aa -> 2d~6 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> j.c -> 9d~9 -> 236bb -> 236bbb

Thanks. I guess I really need to train the j.2d~b online then. Ugh. If only the delay wasn't so random...

Man, I just can't seem to get my Taunt combos consistently, I manage to make them work like 50% of the time. My main problam is the ~b in the j,2D~b - taunt point, is there any good way to learn this other to just keep on grinding?

Man, I just can't seem to get my Taunt combos consistently, I manage to make them work like 50% of the time.

My main problam is the ~b in the j,2D~b - taunt point, is there any good way to learn this other to just keep on grinding?

I tend to do it on impact. Not after impact, but press B so that the frame you hit on is the frame B is pressed. Note that the red/orange hit sprites appear in front of the opponent, not in the middle of them, so press B when Taokaka should be just in front of the opponent. That's how it works for me. Basically, you have to do ~B regardless of whether or not it hits (since this is a combo, you should essentially always hit, so no wories there) because your brain has to tell your finger to press B before you actually hit.

I'm so excited. I used to not be able to do any drive loops with Tao. Today in training I randomly could do her bnb off back throw 100% of the time after only playing as Noel for two weeks. Now I feel confident enough to pursue Taokaka as a sub (and potentially as my new main). :v:

I'm so excited.

I used to not be able to do any drive loops with Tao.

Today in training I randomly could do her bnb off back throw 100% of the time after only playing as Noel for two weeks.

Now I feel confident enough to pursue Taokaka as a sub (and potentially as my new main).

:v:

:toot:

Edit: Btw Noel needs to eat more steamed buns

I'm so excited.

I used to not be able to do any drive loops with Tao.

Today in training I randomly could do her bnb off back throw 100% of the time after only playing as Noel for two weeks.

Now I feel confident enough to pursue Taokaka as a sub (and potentially as my new main).

:v:

Once you get the timing for the drive loop it becomes really easy and you can set it up from a lot of situations. However, be prepared to struggle a bit online if your connection isn't decent or if you encounter a slight delay then even the drive loop will be troublesome to pull off (I'm afflicted by lag as I live in Europe and there aren't a lot PAL players around). :psyduck:

Once you get the timing for the drive loop it becomes really easy and you can set it up from a lot of situations. However, be prepared to struggle a bit online if your connection isn't decent or if you encounter a slight delay then even the drive loop will be troublesome to pull off (I'm afflicted by lag as I live in Europe and there aren't a lot PAL players around). :psyduck:

I actually have a really great connection, so I should be ok for the most part.

B Combo

Drive Loop

- Only applicable to the following characters: Ragna, Jin, Tager, Arakune, Bang, Litchi, and Hakumen

- Only can do two drive loops (j.c -> 5d~6): Jin, Noel, and Carl

5b -> 3c -> 5d~6 -> (j.c -> 5d~6) x3 -> j.a -> j.c -> j.c -> j.c -> j.236bbbb

5b -> 3c -> 5d~6 -> (j.c -> 5d~6) x3 -> j.a -> j.c -> 8d -> air dash j.c -> j.236bb -> j.236bbbb

5b -> 3c -> 5d~6 -> (j.c -> d~6) x3 -> j.a -> j.c -> 9d -> air dash j.c -> j.236bb -> j.236bbbb (3700)

I've been trying to do the following all day with no success. I honestly do not believe any of these work on Noel. The j.c after the j.a will whiff every time, no exceptions. Same deal with Rachel, same deal with Carl.

And yes I know there are 2 drive loops instead of 3.

Just do drive cancel b ones instead, they're a hell of a lot more universal.

I do the taunt combos, and b cancels on everyone. Was simply trying to pass along the knowledge that these combos might not work on certain people, so new Tao's don't waste a day trying to learn a combo not applicable to Carl, Rachel or Noel while trying to do it on Carl, Rachel or Noel.

i started out using this 4b+c -> 236cc -> 2d~6 -> j.c -> 8d~6 -> j.c -> 8d~6 -> j.236bb -> j.236bbbb (Doesn't work on Carl) as my main throw combo. but now i'm tryin' to come up with something that works on all characters. so far, i have... 4B+C > 236CC > 2D~9 > j.B+C > 236AA this is where it falls apart. up to here, the combo is universal, and does 3300 damage. but i can't seem to find a good finish for it. 236C bounces them over my head and behind me if used at this time. 236AA hits twice, but my next attack, drive or another A, always misses as the target techs. should i just replace the last 236AA with a 236236D? or is the some other attack i can use to finish off (or extend) this combo?

after playing with this some more, i believe (correct me if im wrong) this can be an infinite loop. only downside is, nothing to stop the target from throw escaping. 4B+C > 236CC > 2D~9 > j.B+C > 236AA > 2D~9 > j.B+C > 236AA > 2D~9 > j.B+C repeat. i'v managed to loop the j.B+C 4 times a most before i dropped the ball. on jin and ragna both. on some other characters, (carl, noel, rachel) i'v only been able to link the air throw twice. so i added hexaedge to finish off the combo. 4B+C > 236CC > 2D~9 > j.B+C > 236AA > 2D~9 > j.B+C > 236236D for 4800 damage.

You can continually re-grab people after Tao's air throw using various methods, like 6a -> j.b+c, 236aa -> j.b+c, or my favorite, 214d -> back air dash -> j.b+c. Only really works online in laggy situations as it can help people fail the throw break. Really easy to throw break overall, but you can try it every so often, since netting that extra damage can be worth it, just be ready when it does get throw rejected. Generally if a character is too floaty or small for a second j.c -> 8d~6 in combos you can perform the first j.c -> 8d and not drive cancel it into air dash -> j.c -> j.236bbbb. It's less damage than you would normally get, but it does keep them closer to the ground so you can follow up. You can also still put an air throw after 2 hits of cat spirit two.

During drive loops. Cat spirit two. :d::df::f::bbt::bbt: :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt: wut How does one cancel from the first set into the second? I always end up just doing one :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt: on accident.

During drive loops.

Cat spirit two.

:d::df::f::bbt::bbt: :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt:

wut

How does one cancel from the first set into the second?

I always end up just doing one :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt: on accident.

There isn't really a cancel in there, just a short pause. You simply finish another :d::df::f: motion during the pause. All you're doing is allowing the window for unlimited :bbt: mashing to close, then starting the next move.

Ok guys, I can't seem to really get the j.2d~b in the taunt combos, the one that start with 5b->6a(1). Either I press the b too early and the drive won't inflict damage, or the drive does hit but she's already reached the ground making it useless to press b. but still being in her recovering frames which makes it impossible to followup with the next attack in the combo chain.

Any tips on the timing of this move? I can perfectly get 2d~b off her 5b->3c->6d~6 startup, but I can't seem to do the same with the 6a(1) since she's fairly closer. Mind you, I'm trying this combo on Noel so that might also be a reason (but I've seen vids where other Taos use taunt combos against her). At what height am I supposed to input 2d? I think that's the problem, rather than inputting b at the right time (I usually do it on reaction the moment I see the "scratches" animation on the opponent).

Any advice is helpful. :D

During drive loops.

Cat spirit two.

:d::df::f::bbt::bbt: :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt:

wut

How does one cancel from the first set into the second?

I always end up just doing one :d::df::f::bbt::bbt::bbt::bbt: on accident.

Do the first cat spirit two wait for the second hit to finish and input again the 236 motion and b. As Travaton said there's a very short pause between the two cat spirit two (basically she returns to neutrail airborne state for a little span then immediately gets back to the second cat spirit two), but don't wait too much or the opponent will fall away and the following 236bbbb will whiff. It takes a bit of practice but it's not that hard to learn once you figure the timing. Watch replays of other players, they're very helpful to figure out the timing, even just by hearing the "rhythm" of her hits.

Ok guys, I can't seem to really get the j.2d~b in the taunt combos, the one that start with 5b->6a(1). Either I press the b too early and the drive won't inflict damage, or the drive does hit but she's already reached the ground making it useless to press b. but still being in her recovering frames which makes it impossible to followup with the next attack in the combo chain.

Any tips on the timing of this move? I can perfectly get 2d~b off her 5b->3c->6d~6 startup, but I can't seem to do the same with the 6a(1) since she's fairly closer. Mind you, I'm trying this combo on Noel so that might also be a reason (but I've seen vids where other Taos use taunt combos against her). At what height am I supposed to input 2d? I think that's the problem, rather than inputting b at the right time (I usually do it on reaction the moment I see the "scratches" animation on the opponent).

Any advice is helpful. :D

Fellow Tao: I will take the time to list out the minute details involved in j.2d~b because I see the question so much.

J.2D~B

For some, it is an impossible barrier separating certain Tao's from doing Taunt combos and Cat Spirit Two combos. For others, it is as natural as a single button stroke. I for one, have felt the pain of trying to do the fabled J.2D~B combos for days on end but failing. I for one have suffered weeks on end of inconsistency with J.2D~B being the culprit. And now, I for one, have no problem pulling it off. Here are some of the things I noticed in the weeks struggle to get this bastard off:

1) If it does not matter whether you hit B to cancel or not: You are hitting the 2D too late.

2) If you missing the opponent with the drive: You are hitting the B cancel too early.

3) Clean input makes this move, and the rest of Tao's arsenal easier to do. For J2D~B combo starters on a stick:

5b (Hit B) ->

6a (Hit 6A) ->

JC (Hit 8 to cancel the second hit and let the joystick return to 5. I'll put ~5 from now on.)

j.2d~b (From 5, Hit 2~5, Hit D in the 5 frames your 2 has been buffered, and hit B to cancel the drive.)

Taunt/5C (Always hit C or Taunt after the j.2d~b to see if you nailed it.

4) The rhythm on the B cancel is something you need to find for yourself. You will not forget it and will be using it constantly. After you think you've gotten the j.2d~b down, try doing exercises like this:

4B+C -> 214D -> j.2d~B

or my favorite:

5b -> 6a -> JC -> j.2d~b -> taunt -> 214d -> j.2d~b -> taunt

Soon, doing a j.2d~b will be thought of as a simple input. Now to start worrying about that next j.2d~b taunt in the combo....

5. Practice! Don't get discouraged because even the pros mess it up in matches; it is really easy to screw up!

~Fin~

Oh yeah also with smaller characters like Noel, if you do not time 6A after a 5b when they are crouching, the 6a will whiff. There is a slight delay between the 5b and 6a which is not there for certain characters. Dashing, if possible can alleviate this gap, but opponents might pick up on the movement and will punish you if they can anticipate it.

Useful advices, Sileh. You have my gratitude. *pets Sileh and feeds him with meat buns* I got back into training mode this morning, and I was able to pull the j.2d~b a few times. I still haven't completely figured it out though. But atleast I managed to understand where I need to work on: I seem to be pressing b too early. So now all I have to do is to practice till I nail it consecutively and then follow up with a taunt in order to integrate that string into combos.

Thanks Sileh, I haven't come around to explaining the combo to every tao on the planet. Saved me a few hours of my life. :3 Edit: Just put in your input into FAQs.

Glad to help :keke: Really, practice is the most important one. If you managed to pull it off a couple of times, at least you know what it looks and feels like when it's correct. It's all downhill from there because you'll eventually get the timing, start to be fluid, be more consistent, etc. I feel like I'm relearning Tao everyday; still working on getting my j.d~a cancels to be reliable :arg:

Woo, that helps a lot. I finally figured out the timing of the j.2d~b. You just have to delay it as Sileh said. Great explanation, helped me finally do my first taunt combo today! :kitty: I did it once and after that I just HAD to do it until I got it right. And finally I got it! Now to work on 236bb -> 236bbbb....