Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[Xrd] Ramlethal vs Millia

How to fight Millia Tandem Top oki:

Jump beats everything except meaty 2k.

Backdash beats meaty 2k. If you are cornered, life is hard and you need to block.

Sort of new player here (played the game a bit when it first came out then dropped it for a while). How do you guys approach the neutral game vs this character? I usually just end up throwing out pokes like slash, j.P, and sometimes c.K. hoping that she will run into them but it hasn't been too effective. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah, this match up is probably Ramlethal's worst match up and it got worse in 1.10 with her nerfs.

You tend to want to keep either both swords equipped or S sword equipped while harassing with deployed HS sword. In general though deployed swords in neutral is terrible against Millia because of her speed and mobility options. I like to use far S, 2S, 2HS, j.P, j.S, and Cassius as my neutral tools against Millia. You can definitely go for whiff punishes against Millia's 2D and f.S with your f.S but you have to be aware of her range and your range.

Always respect Millia's air approaches when she has hair pin and if she does use it then camp it and prevent her from picking it up for as long as possible. You'll have to make the judgement call on sacrificing position to make the hair pin inaccessible to Millia by pulling the screen so the hair pin is off screen. 2S and 2HS is also good at dealing with Millia's air approaches and can even bat away the hair pins but the long start up times of those moves are pro-active measures then reactive measures.

I would've thought people would think this was one of the matchups that didn't change much from vanilla to now because you should have been fighting Millia with both swords on your back in vanilla anyway.

I don't actually think 2s and 2h should be used as anti-airs unless you are VERY confident that it will be at least blocked, considering Millia's air options and that both moves take years to recover, so it's almost always likely a punish unless you have YRC. Furthermore, it's not the kind of matchup you want to be giving hits away to either, since you can die in 1 hit.

I think the best way to play this matchup is to probably wait for the Millia player to make a mistake. Ramlethal's j.s is pretty damn good at shutting down Millia's airdashing or even ground approaches sometimes, and if it whiffs it's no big deal. If Millia tries to catch you in the air with j.p, let her and prepare to IB one of her j.p so you can air throw her.

It's kind of a worst matchup for me too because of how annoying it is to get a clean hit on her and that Millia can also win the game off 1 hit like Ramlethal. Millia's low defense doesn't really matter either since Ramlethal should be trying to 1 touch death people anyway.

how does backdash yrc j2d fares againts her disk oki? like our local millia is just starting out and its sorta working but i would like to know if it could be long time tactic or not.

If you are midscreen and Millia does not YRC her Tandem Top, I believe backdash YRC FD should beat all her options since it puts you airborne and give you enough time to react to a crossup. Doing j.2d after the backdash will probably get beaten by the moves that Millia is trying to do to catch you. She might be able to catch you in YRC startup but that probably requires a hard read and is not covered by any of her usual options. In the corner, if Millia doesn't knock you down with a 3 hit j.h, you might be able to escape all her options with backdash YRC FD too.

I haven't tested any of this yet, but I play some Millia myself and let it be known that Millia Tandem Top oki setups can be disrespected unless they are YRC-ed or come from a 3 hit j.h in the corner.

I would've thought people would think this was one of the matchups that didn't change much from vanilla to now because you should have been fighting Millia with both swords on your back in vanilla anyway.

I don't actually think 2s and 2h should be used as anti-airs unless you are VERY confident that it will be at least blocked, considering Millia's air options and that both moves take years to recover, so it's almost always likely a punish unless you have YRC. Furthermore, it's not the kind of matchup you want to be giving hits away to either, since you can die in 1 hit.

I think the best way to play this matchup is to probably wait for the Millia player to make a mistake. Ramlethal's j.s is pretty damn good at shutting down Millia's airdashing or even ground approaches sometimes, and if it whiffs it's no big deal. If Millia tries to catch you in the air with j.p, let her and prepare to IB one of her j.p so you can air throw her.

It's kind of a worst matchup for me too because of how annoying it is to get a clean hit on her and that Millia can also win the game off 1 hit like Ramlethal. Millia's low defense doesn't really matter either since Ramlethal should be trying to 1 touch death people anyway.

2S and 2HS are always situational moves in neutral. In the Millia match up it comes with the added benefit of knocking away the pin and CH Millia if they go for air dash pin. You use these moves sparingly but there not moves you should simply ignore in the match up, imo. 

Well that's why I said that you should be confident that it is at least blocked if you want to use it. The risk reward isn't really there if you use it to AA since it's 120 damage for you and potentially the round for Millia unless 2s is a CH. However, 2s is a move you should use liberally in this matchup if you have YRC to save yourself because it hits everywhere that Millia can be if she is trying to hit you.

I really like 2S in this matchup. As Complexity mentioned, use it if you have 25 meter to YRC it. Throw it out sometimes and if you see that Millia is NOT engaging you, YRC it. If she is moving towards you, let it rip.

2S beats pretty much any option Millia have. I still don't think it saves the matchup though, this is uphill for Ram in the neutral game. It's crazy how superior Millia is in the air compared to Ram, her normals are so damn good. jD with Millia seems to beat Ram jS cleanly no matter the situation.

I have found that fighting for the middle of the stage to be super useful, the unfortunate thing about this strategy though is that it is hard to do a lot of damage (at least for me) midscreen, and corner setplay occurs less often (where most of my damage comes from). I try to keep her on whatever side is closest to the corner, mostly to avoid being cornered myself after her corner carry combos. With this, the Top Oki is not as hard to deal with if you get knocked down, as mentioned before, you have some options to get out.

Let me tell you about Millia. She is simply the better version of Ramlethal. They literally do the same thing, but one does it better

Well you can't really put it like that. For example, its harder for Millia than Ramlethal to force the issue because she doesn't have ways to start playing her game from nowhere. She must get some hit in order to get her game running. As long as you have enough meter, Ramlethal can just Calvados YRC and suddenly your opponent flies all the way to the corner. Calvados is also a super good way to guarantee wins via chip, something that Millia doesn't have. Trance while bad now still has applications for pushing the opponent to corner from midscreen. Obviously Millia is the better character but you can't really say they do the same thing when Ramlethal has dumb things that Millia doesn't have.

I thought having a better mix up and oki is the best dumb thing, usually millia pin is a good enough get in tool and then she has agility and normals and roll thats helps in that advance.

For having meter you can just confirm random hits into rc into damage. She might not have chip damage but that rose super is mighty fine also, but why go for super when millia with enought tension can use that for better mix up.

They both have dumb things to help them run their game. Millia has massive corner carry(like Rammy), scary corner mixups for when you get there(like Rammy), and great speed and mobility. You could say they are different but they both have the same game plan. 1. Get a hit 2A. Get a solid knockdown 2B.Push to corner 3. Run setplay into death. Now they function slightly different but I'm still hanging with what I said more or less.

Their neutrals are vastly different. Even if they have similar strenghts in setplays. Millias speed and great normals make her scary, elements Ram doesn't have.

Hence, the better version comment. That's just my opinion lol

Well with that said, what is it that Ram's ought to do to with this match up? Any go to combos to confirm into that work best? General strategy?

It sounds like meaty 2S>2HS seems good after a knockdown. Are we sure that she has no options during that set-up. I feel the same way about using it to stuff air approaches, I think that with Millia's maneuverability, it wouldn't be worth the risk. 

Also in terms of corner carry, since I'm garbage at getting decent damage at midscreen, is there a particular way that anyone likes to float Millia to one side or the other after confirming a hit. I'm trying to work on IAD loops on her but I wonder if she is too light for that to work. I'm also wondering if there is a specific way for her to be looped in that way. Does anyone know if that works, and if so, what is the most consistent way you've found to get her to the corner?

That daiji loop that works on Millia is EXTREMELY difficult.  Far beyond what I am capable of in a match so far.

Personally I use cS (2D) (regular)Dauro dash pk dash pk kp ppp > splat combo ender (cS fS 6S dash cS 6HS dash cS dash cS 2D > oki)

That only works from about 60-70% out of the corner depending on how well you microdash.

If you are starting the combo back to the corner I do cS (2D) (regular)Dauro dash pk dash pk kp kk6HS > midscreen oki

I am not confident in any full corner carry combos on light characters yet and midscreen kk6HS oki is super legit.

Anyway combos aside I think Millia is the hardest matchup we have in 1.1

She completely outclasses us in movement.

Her normals are all really good. She really has no problem challenging us anywhere and she does not have to commit to any real risks most of the time.

Once she hits us we are going for a ride.

We have to fish for hits with jS and just attempt to not get locked down. Try to stay away from the corner and do whatever you can to tag her then knock her down.

Once she is knocked down run your game and don't let up.

Being in neutral in this matchup vs a good Millia means you are probably losing.

Yeah I personally think Elphelt and Venom are EXTREMELY difficult. Those are my demons

It boils down to making read,(besides millia having all the tool she needs in this matche up) due to recovery frame if you make a decent terrible read millia has the speed to close the gap and bring the neutral in her favour. Which will lead to playing footies with your back inching closer the wall.