Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[Xrd] Ramlethal vs Ky

I suck at this matchup,
2H and j.H wreck my shit if i wanna pressure, and stun edge YRC really makes defense hard as hell.

People tell me to "zone him" but Ky seems to have an answer to that with grinders and stun edges, as well as long normals to keep me out if   I wanna mix up.

How do other people do it?

I've also been having trouble in this matchup, my air to air j.p gets beaten by his jumping normals and i'm finding it hard to setup any kind of sword pressure due to having to block stunedges

Ground SE has a long recovery and swords can be set if Ky ever tries to throw one in neutral. If he does air SE and does not YRC it, you can try and Daruo past the air SE and hit him as he is landing.

Do a lot of rising j.p. It will at most clash with Ky's rising j.k and if it does clash mashing j.p will win you the next clash unless he cancels the clash into a Blitz.

Ky doesn't mind moving much because he can play his game while being mobile. If you find that your swords aren't hitting Ky enough, keep them and play a clean neutral game until you get a knockdown or get him to block one of your normals.

Also another thing i hate about this matchup is how awkward all combos are with him,
c.s>623p>pk>c.s>dustloop doesn't work without 2D and that annoys me.

Also another thing i hate about this matchup is how awkward all combos are with him,

c.s>623p>pk>c.s>dustloop doesn't work without 2D and that annoys me.

I'm not having any issues doing this combo on Ky. What part is dropping for you? Ky is really annoying to combo so I usually just shorten my combos against him due to his air hitbox. 

As for playing neutral against him, summoning in neutral can be really dangerous once he has meter due to stun edge YRC. Ky j.HS is also good for stuffing summon attempts due to its far reaching hitbox. Honestly more worried about him sliding than anything because I havent really figured out how to deal with low profile moves. Might be a better idea to play this matchup with both swords equipped until you get him to block something or push him into the corner.

His low-profiling slide can always be punished by Dauro on block so it's risky for him to use it against Ram. IB the last hit for more leaniency on the punish. According to some players this matchup is heavily in Rams favor but I'm unsure, I think it's pretty even.

He doesn't have much in the air that Ram can't AA so deploying S-sword (especially with an YRC) seems solid. Careful of his fS as it got better range than Ram fS.

With 50 tension I like to use 3K against Ky as it goes under his fS and stun edge. 50 tension to make it safe / full combo on hit.

If you're close enough to punish stun dipper with dauro, you might as well just use c.S or 2D because they're faster. Punishable even without instant block.

Ram doesn't really have any good normals to stuff it other than 2K which trades most of the time and she doesn't really get anything off it other than 2KK. If Ram summons after a blockstring and Ky attempts to slide, but Ram avoids it by jumping/backdashing, the sword will actually follow Ky and CH him. CH 6H/S cause stagger giving you plenty of time to confirm into dauro. 

3K is good and safe even on block. No need to RC.

No, 3K is, at best, relatively safe if you space it out to hit at the tip; otherwise, it's hella unsafe being -7 on regular block. 3K is a level 3 attack so if they IB it and you mis-spaced it (remembering that IB reduces push back) you'd be -11 at worst. You're definitely going to eat a fat punish for using it improperly. If you make the read then 3K is something you can use in the match up but it's not really necessary, imo.

I've been using Ky since X2 and I use him as a secondary in Xrd for match ups I don't like with Ramlethal, such as Millia. Ky can't zone Ramlethal for free because it's not difficult to maneuver around his stun edges while using j.6HS or j.6S to control his movements. If he messes up the timing of one stun edge then either sword will counter hit him, causing him to stagger, allowing you to either continue zoning with swords/cassisus or begin your offensive approach. If you're close enough to the counter hit then you can confirm into Daruo and get started from there. This is a match up where I have no issues launching both swords on him and play at full screen until I can approach.

The match up is definitely in Ramlethal's favor but it really depends on who's playing a stronger neutral game. Ky is meant to be a strong fundamentals character with a very basic but effective pressure game. His go to pokes will be f.S, 2S, 5HS, and 2D. Stun Edges, j.D, and j.HS are good at controlling air space for him so be careful with your air approaches especially air dashes. Air dashing into an anti-air (he has plenty) or CH j.HS or j.D gives Ky an opportunity to get a full combo for good damage. If you're playing with Swords equipped then look to whiff punish his f.S with your f.S because it's horrible on whiff. If you have 50 meter then you can confirm your whiff punish f.S into an RC, Daruo for a full combo similar to Millia & Faust players. If you block f.S he'll just cancel into 2S to reduce the recovery. 5HS doesn't have as much range as your f.S so you can either out poke or look to whiff punish it. Ky's j.P and j.K are amazing air-to-air tools and can actually contest your j.P but if you want to win the air-to-air game you need to be pre-emptive with your j.P. If your air dashing in with j.P he'll either 6P/2HS AA or j.K and beat you clean. His j.HS is a good air-to-ground approach from a regular jump but the start up and recovery is slow so you can space your self out of it's range and CH him with your j.S (S sword equipped). Doing things like neutral jump S or IAD back j.S are good ways to land a CH j.S. If you land the CH j.S you can land IAD j.K, j.S, j.8D after wards and depending on how close you are to the corner, get a rep of the IAD loop and start oki. This technique is also good at beating out random Greed Severs.

Approaching Ky from the air without swords covering your approach is dangerous since his 6P is an amazing AA tool (always has been and it's actually been nerfed from its AC+R counter part). 2HS is also a good anti-air but slowed and more preemptive then reactive unless your doing neutral or double jumps on top of him. Stun Edge YRC also gives him the ability to react to your air approach and either AA or air throw you so be careful on your attack angles in the air.

His mix up potential with high/lows from a block string is terrible since he only has 5D or Greed Sever as over heads which are reactable though his 5D is faster in Xrd. If you get knocked down midscreen by Stun Dipper the most Ky can do is go for a meaty 6HS. Look for the spacing and timing on the 6HS because if they do it too close you can throw them on wake up but making that call out can be dangerous. If they mistime the meaty you can do wake up Blitz Shield. Wake up Explode will beat the meaty unless they time it earlier to bait it out. If the Ky player attempts a YRC CSE after a stun dipper knockdown (midscreen) it's not meaty at all and you can either up back or super jump FD to avoid it altogether or at least chicken block it. If you get knockdown down midscreen by 2D then the Ky player can either do meaty 6HS, meaty charged stun edge (CSE), or meaty YRC charged stun edge. If the opt to do meaty CSE with no YRC then the subsequent pressure is less since they can't really pressure you too much due to the recovery of CSE. At most they can try a run up throw just as CSE block stun wears off or they get a small block string that doesn't do a whole lot. YRC CSE can lead into empty low or late air dash double highs among other things but I'll talk about this more in his corner knockdown game.

Ky's post knockdown game with meaty 6HS is mostly for pressure so his options after wards are frame traps, throw baits, and tick throws. You can try and Blitz Shield post 6HS strings but there's a ton of things Ky can do to bait and punish Blitz Shield attempts such as meaty 6HS, 6HS which blows up Blitz Shiled attempts after the meaty 6HS hard. Once he's got you respecting the post meaty pressure, he can start incorporating throws with run up FD cancel throw, run up throw, or tick into throw. Once you get afraid of the throw situation and start mashing you become susceptible to frame traps or throw bait situations like 5K/5S jc TK stun edge counter hit. While that's the jist of his pressure the Ky player can throw in Greed Server or 5D into the mix. The 5D can get tricky but it's still reactable. Of course, if you're playing online, Greed Sever becomes much harder to block on reaction so you'll see more of it in online play and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

There's a few ways you can deal with the pressure. If the meaty 6HS is spaced farther away you can IB the 6HS and then look for an opportunity to interrupt his subsequent pressure since he'll need to dash in to keep it going. You can Blitz Shield if he dashes in to do additional pressure but there's risk to it as mentioned above. You can definitely counter poke him if he has to run up for additional pressure. If your confident in your defense and the Ky player hasn't fully utilized all of his pressure options to make you second guess blocking then you can continue to IB his pressure for meter. You can Dead Angle the meaty 6HS but keep in mind that both hits are special and jump cancel-able so if they anticipate on a dead angle they can bait with either 6HS (1) JC and chicken block the DA or 6HS (1) xx Greed Sever which might go over the DA (I'll do more testing with this). If they're going for meaty CSE pressure then watch your DA timing as well because it's easy DA bait for him. You don't want to DA the fireball because if the Ky player doesn't commit to a normal they can just block the DA and punish you. You want to wait for a slower normal than his 2P's because that also allows him to bait DA's. Faultless Defense is also a really good tool to push Ky back on the 6HS or his subsequent pressure then SJ FD out of there to reset to neutral. It's particularly effective if they space the meaty 6HS from farther distances.

Ky's best mix ups are corner only and he needs to combo into durandal call and go for 2D or stun dipper to get a knockdown to start Sealed CSE mix ups. If he YRCs the Sealed CSE you'll have to guess between empty 5K/2S low or a late air dash j.S, j.HS high. There's other variations he can add to the mix up like Greed Severs or 5D's but the empty low will remain the same. If you get hit by the empty low or late air dash, Ky can combo back into Durandal Call, 2D/Stun Dipper and repeat the situation. You can definitely block this mix up on reaction once you understand what his options are but it can be tricky to block at first because the block sparks mask where Ky is exactly. Fuzzy Guarding can help block the incoming mix up as well.

Burst Timing with Ky is tricky because his basic combo string is really easy to YRC OS for him. From a ground string involving Durandal Call don't burst at the Durandal Call since that's super easy to YRC OS. Any juggle combos involving c.S, 2HS, jc or VT is also easily YRC'd OS or flat out jump cancelled into a chicken block. These are the most common points where Ky can burst bait you so don't fall into the typical traps. Once version 1.10 is released on consoles the YRC OS options are irrelevant but the jump cancel chicken blocks are still valid.

Unless Ky is landing clean hits on you he's only going to win through war of attrition by solid fundamentals. All it takes is for you to land one hit on Ky and your going to corner carry him into your oki game. You'll easily make up the damage differential quickly.

If you're close enough to punish stun dipper with dauro

What. You are ALWAYS close enough to punish with Dauro. It's her furthest reaching full combo punisher.

Stun dipper frame advantage is based on distance, its not always going to be -15 even with IB. Daruo has 15 frame startup. Dash up c.S 2D xx daruo will also do more damage.

Stun dipper frame advantage isnt based on distance at all dauro will punish it at all distances where dash up cS might not. Just practice IBing the second hit and doing dauro. It really isnt hard.

As TheArm said. Stun dipper have two hits, first he does the slide THEN he does a low slash, at which he's -15. Getting hit by later meaty frames of stun dipper is HIGHLY unlikely.

Just going to go over various punishes on Stun Dipper and Greed Sever.

Stun Dipper - Ky's two hit sliding low attack. The first hit is a slide that will always travel a set distance, and then Ky does a slashing attack for the second hit that causes a knockdown. This is mostly used for a combo ender at farther ranges to start his meaty 6HS pressure but you'll occassionally see it get throw out as a hard read, player being random, RC on block to start pressure, or PRC on whiff to fish for an air throw. As mentioned previously, the slide will always travel a set distance so the opponent must space this properly in a combo for the second hit to combo. If they misspace it the second hit won't combo and you'll be able to punish at closer ranges without requiring an IB. 

Stun Dipper has upper body invincible from frames 1-4 and above the knee invincible from frames 5-18. The hit box in combination of the upper body invincibility on start up causes this attack to low profile a lot of attacks including Ramlethal's f.S, 6S/HS, and 2HS so be careful with your attack ranges. It's a level 4 attack, on normal block the second hit is -15 but on instant block it's -19 so it's highly punishable on block but you need to know what to punish with depending on the range. You can actually interrupt in between the 1st and 2nd hit if you instant block the 1st hit.

Universal Punish, IB 1st Hit:

• c.S (2D) xx Daruo, etc... - Universal punish with or without swords equipped after you IB the 1st hit of Stun Dipper.

Corner Punish, IB 1st Hit, Swords Equipped:

• c.S, 2D xx Green Daruo, c.S, 5HS, j.8D, (IAD j.K, j.S, j.8D) x2, dash PPP, etc... - Max damage punish when near the corner and you have both swords equipped.

Universal Punish, IB 2nd Hit, Max Range:

• Daruo, etc... - When you IB the 2nd hit at max range you can only punish with Daruo since it moves you forward. You don't have enough time to dash in with a c.S punish.

Universal Punish, Normal Block 2nd Hit, Max Range, S sword equipped, 50% Tension:

• f.S, RC, dash c.S (2D) xx Daruo, etc... - Best punish starter if you normal blocked the 2nd hit, S sword equipped, and have 50 tension.
  • Explosion Overdrive - This is only good if you don't have the swords equipped and you normal blocked the second hit.

Universal Punish, Normal Block 2nd Hit, Close Range:

• c.S xx Daruo, etc... - You don't have time to dash in with c.S, 2D off of a normal block at close range.

Corner Punish, IB 2nd Hit, Close Range, Swords Equipped:

• dash c.S, 2D xx Green Daruo, c.S, 5HS, j.8D, (IAD j.K, j.S, j.8D) x2, dash PPP, etc... - Max damage punish when near the corner and you have both swords equipped.

Greed Sever - Ky's overhead special that can be blocked on reaction and usually telegraphed. It can be tricky to block if the opponent uses it sparingly or off of certain set ups. It's a level 3 attack and on normal block is -13 but on instant block it's -17. It leaves Ky in a crouching state so you can get a f.S xx Daruo starter. There's a certain range where Greed Sever can't be punished with f.S on normal block but it's not at it's max range just slightly closer than max range. At that particular range you'll need to IB Greed Sever for the f.S punish.

Universal Punish, Normal Block, S Sword Equipped:

• f.S xx Daruo, etc... - As mentioned, Greed Sever leaves Ky in a crouch state so you get a Daruo combo starter.

Corner Punish, Normal Block, Swords Equipped:

• f.S xx Green Daruo, dash  c.S, 5HS, j.8D, (IAD j.K, j.S, j.8D) x2, dash PPP, etc... - Max damage punish when near the corner and you have both swords equipped.

Also good to remind that with an instant block on Greed Sever you can punish with raw Dauro in case you dont have S. sword equipped and go for the same punishes