Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[Xrd] Ramlethal vs Elphelt

So how do you guys play this matchup? I do ok in it but I always hear people talk about how Ram beats Elph and I have never felt exactly comfortable in this matchup.

I don't feel like I can poke anything she does without taking a huge risk since she has so many answers to fS.

A lot of the time I play unequipped in this matchup because it forces her to move and play aggressive which lets me try to take the fight on my terms but sometimes I just get brute forced by grenade and 2S/6HS. Once shes in on you it is really easy to just lose the round instantly to any random hit/command grab.

Elphs cS is also the anti air I am most afraid of in the entire game.  I am really unsure about what to do to beat that move. Only time I can reliably beat it is when a sword is already in range of her and I can counterhit her with 6S/HS.

I want to know what you guys are having success with in this matchup. Maybe I need to approach it differently.

My scene is small and the resident Elphelt player is way better than me, but I do play the matchup a lot.  In my opinion the matchup is pretty even at best.  Disclaimer: I'm far from the best Ramlethal in the world, so take my comments based on their own merit.

What's most apparent in this matchup is that pretty much all of her normals are amazing and will beat your normals.  Her 2P is 4 frames so Ramlethal's 4P doesn't have the advantage it often does.  Even worse, being a lightweight, she's a lot harder to get full midscreen combos on, as doing a 2D or a green daruo can make it impossible to get the PK loop, among other things.

I typically do keep the swords deployed for most of the matchup, although f.S will still always have its place.  Ramlethal is really fast, so even though Elphelt has great antiairs and other tools, your mobility is your ticket into getting her where you want her.  Double jumping over her head is a great tool to apply against any character, as you can potentially bait out her c.S and come down for a counterhit or at least pressure.  Elphelt also isn't super fast, so keeping her blocking swords on the other side of the screen and throwing out fireballs can be a really effective way to stall and build some meter.  Also, I hesitate to say this as it can be incredibly risky, but her equipped 2S > 2H string feels a lot more effective in this matchup than most.  The range on the 2S is farther than Elphelt's effective tools, and Elphelt's mobility isn't enough to really hit you out of the startup from most ranges.  While I wouldn't go for it without meter for a purple RC or a burst, the obvious benefit of 2S 2H is the enormous meter gain on both hit and block, and the potential for big damage.

Her wakeup is a few frames slower than most of the cast, which gives you a bit of extra time to set up any sort of oki on her.  Midscreen knockdowns (such as 2KK) are easy to get on her for this reason, as you have more time to get in close for your 6K or other options.  Even better, she doesn't have any real reversal options; I've had my 6K clash with her uppercut super many, many times, so it's not all that terrifying.

Most of my meter ends up getting spent on dead angles.  When Elphelt gets you knocked down (particularly in the corner), not only is dealing with any mixups a pain, but she cranks the guard gauge like no other, as well as significant chip damage.  If you decide to faultless defend to push her out and to salvage your guard gauge, she will eat your meter almost immediately.  Given that you're likely to lose over 50% meter on block if she pulls out her shotgun, whipping out the dead angle seems like a clear choice.  Ramlethal really enjoys the space that the dead angle gives you, so that you can set out your swords and reset.

I'm not sure about this being even... I feel like maybe just in terms of neutral its even. Although in pressure ram is at a pretty serious disadvantage,I'd say elp is the 2nd or 3rd worst character for ram to be pressured by. I've had the most success by running around my swords in a box pattern until I get a knockdown, otherwise I end up getting hit by some random grenade or f.s, that's just what works for me though. I'd rather not risk getting pressured because elp is awkward to punish with ram. Also, IB is a must in this match