Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[Xrd] Ramlethal vs Axl

how does this guy work? like from watching videos it seems you need to be on top of him all day, but his dp and his inherent zoning are making this extemely hard

The match up is tricky due to the nature of the neutral game against Axl and his long range pokes. This is a match up where I like having both swords out against him because all of his normals out range your f.S. You don't get too many opportunities to be within f.S range but it's good at whiff punishing him when he fails at making a hard read AA. Staying in the air is kind of necessary in the match up if both swords are deployed but is equally risky due to the reach of his AA normals. You have to be really careful how you tech against Axl because good ones will always fish for the tech traps so be ready to FD after a tech. The DP is something you just need to be aware of and bait like any other DP character. I think it's safe on block as well or just really hard to punish but I haven't experimented with the punish scenario. There are also several DP safe mix ups that you can use to make him respect your oki game. 

You can blitz shield his over head and that cross up special of his. However, keep an eye on their meter because they can YRC both to bait out Blitz Shields and then punish you. Similar deal with his unblockable special, the natural reaction is to jump it but he can YRC then fish for an AA or go for an air throw after wards.

Ramlethal absolutely wrecks Axl in this match-up provided that you have some level of patience.

Ramlethal can play a zero-risk game from fullscreen and can deny Axl with sword deployment all while forcing him out of his element.

From experience, I think midscreen is where Ram is strongest in the match-up. Around mid-screen Ram can threaten Axl's approach with 2S/2H for massive damage and a possible CH (made even safer with meter!). 

Up-close Axl has command counters and a new reversal special move. Respect these accordingly and you will do fine.

I don't play this matchup much at all because Axl isn't very popular, but after Axl Bomber ender it's probably good to hold your tech until you nearly hit the ground, so that you don't die to Axl's dumb air reset game and that you get the invul from neutral tech to let you land safely.

I can attest to the delay tech issue you brought up. It's almost always the case that he will snipe your air tech.

I think I just ate my words yesterday since I fought an Axl that outplayed me out of 5 matches. Even though I never took a match away from the Axl player, I think Ramlethal is still the dominant character in the match-up. The player just needs to be on point :>

I agree I think Ram has an overwhelming advantage both in raw damage and in neutral.

If you get careless you can easily die in 1-2 resets tho and his midrange control (especially against air targets) is extremely strong.

Just be patient and understand which spots are dangerous to be in. Blocking is not nearly as bad in this matchup as it is against other chars.  His command grab is hilariously slow so just jump over it and hit him.

His DP is legit but doesnt have much range so just run oki that is safe to it and its fine.

I think this matchup is all about taking it slow and waiting for an opportunity to get in and knock him down.

Hahah Most of what I say in that old post is still relevant (aside from the overwhelming advantage part lmao) in 1.1 however it is all just a lot harder since he is so much better and our neutral is so nerfed.

I don't think the Axl matchup is nearly as bad as Chipp/Millia and getting in on him is much easier than Venom so it isn't that bad imo.  As long as you don't give up free hits to not using air faultless/obvious air techs you shouldn't really be getting hit that much.

Arm is right. The Axl MU is somewhat manageable, but Chipp and Millia are really probably the worst. Their speed is too much and they have good Oki of their own. You're just gonna have to grind out the MU m8. No other way, gotta take this Ls and learn from them. Good luck

I kinda prefer playing against millia and chipp since you still have j.p while you dont need to commit to anything and build tension during movement. With axl however you need to build meter to FD, which can take some times during which you will need to block a few before having enough to FD.

The match up is manageable if have enough tension to FD but at round start there is no advantage there...

Axl would probably have enough meter first to build his rensen yrc before you get to play. It becomes a game of patience but with axl damage and rensen yrc it is more likely to be in his favour. Since swords summon have little effect in this match up you either take risk in this match up or finding oppotunity while blocking, the game does change once you have enough tension for dauro yrc and blitz shield and 214p yrc but however it becomes more of a get in tool.

I would find the match up quite different to what it was prepatch.

Edit: i should learns the names of moves.

I would still deploy H-sword in this matchup, if only to get any window at all to get in. Axl either have to move, block or kill H-sword, any of which is NOT being ready to swat Ram out of the air/2H.

Getting in is all that matters, Ram have enough of good oki setups to deal with his strong DP. Other than that I agree that Axl is one of the worst matchups currently, but I'd rather fight a Chipp over Millia or Axl.

This is good stuff

One thing that I also have found is that Axl seems to pop out of some of my combos. This is clearly frustrating and I was wondering if there was something about him that made that so. Are there character specific combos for Axl? It doesn't seem like there would be in some of the stuff that I looked at, and its reasonable to chalk that up to technique on my part, but I'm still curious. 

For me axl is somewhere between a medium weight and a light with a wonky hurtbox for jksd loop. 5cs 5hs usually leads to fail unless you are very near corner or hitting j8d very close.

I cant remember if it affected some pk dash combo. Otherwise wallbound combo will depend on distance hieght and gravity, recommend using 5cs 5hs at the middle point.

Beside jksd i dont think there is anything that needs to be adjusted much.

Yeah, I have typically been using cS>fS in the middle of wall splat combos and I have noticed that he will pop out on occasion. I just need to remember to go to the cS>fH>deploy and continue from there.

The midscreen PK carry combo seems messed up a little, but it may be in the timing of it all. Could also be the lag or whatever but that is not something I can help right away. The weird hit-box could explain how he pops out of those sometimes too. 

Thanks for info, this is helpful