Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakaku

[Xrd] Ramlethal vs Venom

This one feels really bad. Venom's buttons beat ram's pretty cleanly and swords are pretty easily nullified. Jumping in is easily punished by venom's normals as well. I'v only been able to even get hits in neutral by catching jump ins from the venom player. I must be doing something wrong because the way things are going for me this looks nearly impossible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I guess that's the general consensus at the moment. After the patch, this is one of the matchups that switched most. Ram had a clear advantage in vanilla because she could nullify and/or beat Venoms zoning with swords. Now she doesn't, and all of Venoms buttons do indeed beat Rams. In my opinion, one of her clearly worst matchups at the moment. It makes me really wish that 3K low profiled earlier so it at least could deal with fS. But noooooo.

I have no real advice. Patience during defense, take risks to get in. Getting in is key. Sometimes you just have to do a hard read and just go in when you hope he sets a ball instead of hitting them. If anything Rams reward on a hit is SO MUCH GREATER than his rewards on hit so it's a risk that might be worth taking. Equipped jH is decent in neutral if you double-jump to bait an AA. If you can get them in the corner the match switches up as he got poor defensive options.

At the start of the round you can do jump > j2D to beat Venom fS or 2S, which is somewhat useful.

Yeah 1.1 made this matchup way more difficult.  Prepare to be absolutely overwhelmed in neutral now. Simple ball zoning shuts down most of your options automatically and his 6p is the bane of Rams existence.

Learn how to use the air delay from sword sets to help you maneuver around incoming pool balls. Getting a 6HS out in between his ball zoning is good as it forces him to move or slow his game down.

Every time you hit him you better make it count. His defense sucks so if you get in you have to run game as hard as possible.

One of the biggest things to watch out for is Bishop Runout. This super is RIDICULOUS for closing our rounds now. If he does this super you do not really have a choice but to try to stall for time bc even if you hit him the ball will bounce off of the wall and come back to knock you out of your combo.

From playing against my local venom friend,

Raw daruo is surprisingly good for catching him when he's setting up balls and you are at a close enough distance, so it helps to be aggressive but careful in this matchup. Don't do it too much though.

Dealing with 6p means fautlessing or baiting it using sword deploy/return to stall in the air.

Personally, i play this super aggressively because i don't want to play neutral with venom. A lot of fake pressure helps since he has few  defensive options , ex fs detruo 5p dash command grab is fun.