Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shtkn

[CT-CSE] Critique my Jin Thread. Post videos of yourself playing and get advice

-Against that specific Ragna, recognize his tendency to dp, and punish him hard for it.

-Do not do 5d dash cancel 6c. It will not combo if they shake and you will be punished pretty hard for it. Just musou and knock him down and work from there.

-Less poking when Ragna is in his optimal range. You have a sizable disadvantage there. Learn to be patient and block a little, then look for an opening. Also, do not be afraid to use dp if you know something is coming.

-Less jc on approach and more jb. Jc is better at certain heights but jb is overall the better move.

-Some good use of meter, such as d fireball in the air. I am personally against using getsuren after a throw though. You can crank out nearly the same amount of damage in a combo and then have meter for other stuff. Plus you weren't going for a burst lock.

So far so good I guess. Comboing will come with time so that's not really an issue. Start to learn to play defense and punish. Also begin incorporating mixups, frame traps, etc (you did some traps with d fireball. expand further). That Ragna was just running into everything.

For the tager one, it seems like it's just a lack of experience from both sides, so not much to comment on other than some stuff from above and start to learn to recognize what combos to use, which will come with some more practice.

Thanks man this helps alot. I'm having trouble with the throw > A ice car > 5C > etc combo so I'm using his DD until I get the timing down. But I totally would rather be using that meter for something else.

I didn't even think of using j.B when air dashing. I use j.C because I can cancel it into j.D before I land but looking back at those videos I realize I whiffed a LOT of those j.Cs when they j.B would have easily landed.

And yes I do need to be more patient which is funny b/c I play Balrog in SF4 and I'm known amongst my friends for my patience but it seems in this game I want to rushdown and start hitting combos as fast as possible lol.

BTW quick question. I don't think you can see this in those videos but I've air dashed towards opponents and hit them with j.C on the front and j.D just as I passed over them. As far as I'm aware, cross ups in BB work like cross ups from the SF series. So this means they'd have to block the first attack normal and the second one as a cross up correct? Or is there some mechanic that allows them to block both attacks normally to prevent people from using tricks like this?

Depends on if they are in block stun (which they probably won't be). If in stun, then no they just auto block it. If not in block stun, then yes, they need to block it as a cross up. As an additional tip, you can use AD jd as a crossup, but I'd suggest have 50% to RC. If it works, great. If they block it, it's going to get ugly.

Late j.B's also work as a cross up if you are close to the opponent. Timing is pretty important but it's not a tactic I would use a lot.

My most recent matches online with Jin:

Dlanijer's Jin Kisaragi Playlist

I make a lot of silly mistake button presses, careless throws, random ice cars.

I also want to know what I need to add to my game?

Zoning with iceballs? Better use of Jin's DP?

He's growing on me, more than Ragna perhaps?

As an additional tip, you can use AD jd as a crossup, but I'd suggest have 50% to RC. If it works, great. If they block it, it's going to get ugly.

Doing an IAD and using 236D has a crossover is a much better use of tension and its safer. It's very tricky.

I saw these a while back when Lord Knight was posting the results. I wanted to ask you a few questions at the time. What was your level of understanding for the Litchi match up? L-Knight mentioned that you guys did 50 casual matches prior to this tournament so it looked like you had a good understanding of the mix up games and I commend you for being able to block those cross ups and mix up games during this match. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that. At 0:51 did you have to switch your block postion to avoid cross up situations or did it auto adjust the guard? I would have layed off the IAD against Litchi when she had the staff as she's just fishing for CH pokes that lead into her BnB. You IAD'd too much against her especially during some of her safe set ups and rushed in at bad opportunities and got punished with Tsubame into BnB's. In general though you IAD way too much in those matches and it cost you on several occassions. Jin's rushdown is pretty effective but he also has a good close-to-midrange zoning game that you should have took advantage of especially since Litchi's got a weaker zoning game in that range with her staff. 1:56 you DC after 5D at point blank range but you know that leaves you at -1f but I'm not sure if you are at 0f if your opponent barrier guards it. Anyways, that seemed too big of a risk with little reward unless you were attempting to bait into a D DP. 2:45 had some bad guard strings in there would have tried to have gone for more mix ups at that point even if it would have costed me some heat to do it but I guess in that situation it was best to try to bait out a DP. It may have been wise to attempt an empty jump barrier guard to bait it out or barrier guard jump and if nothing happened throw out a j.B as you are falling. Noticed you did a lot of odd combo strings after nailing a freeze combo but you say you've learned better combos/set ups so I'll leave it like that. Needed more hi/mow mixups so you'll need to find ways to incorporate j.A whiff after j.B into your game for bigger mixup potential.

Yea we did a good number of casuals before hand since I saw he knew what he was doing I was eager to learn lol. My understanding of the match up was pretty low in general. Like I do know better combos but at that time, I was terrified of being next to him cause I knew he would more than likely block alot of my stuff lol. I just knew I had to find a way in and at that time I didn't know iad would grant a CH. So I was breaking the habit during the fight (well trying to anyway). And combo wise, I'm not sure which combo(s) I should be doing, as I'm sure there are def better ones. I have incorporated what I would say are better combo(s). The only thing that made the matches last long was my defense -_- but I couldn't really hit him cause his spacing was wonderful. And he baited me a lot. Thanks for the feed back cause I need all the help I can get x_x

I had posted here awhile back and really appreciated the help but if anyone is willing to sit down with me on PSN and give me some tips (I have a head set, ventrillo, skype etc) and do some matches, get some pointers going to improve my Jin game, that would be awesome!

Hey guys hows it going i been play blazblue for two months and i want to know what i can do to improve my Jin heres acouple vids of me playing some people on line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIH-uFLG56s This is a Jin mirror match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PruxW1wQSyM Me Vs Tager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVgH4FpyD-c Me vs Hakumen

So if you guys see anything i should do or shouldn't do let me know thanks

I only had time to watch the mirror match and overall it's not a bad Jin but it's standard Jin plays with nothing really advance. Granted it's not like many opportunities to do a lot of things but there were several things that could have led into some resets. 5A has limited applications so you shouldn't spam it like that. 5A whiff into throw is good and 5A spam on aerial opponents into Fubuki is pretty much what I use 5A for. 2A spam is fine but you should learn how to dash into more 2A's instead of getting pushed back into 5C, 6B. 6B I don't like on block strings because it leaves you at 0f and doesn't give you good position to continue pressure unless you have 25% meter for Triple Ice for +22f. Remember 2A can lead into 5B which will suck them in to you for more guard pressure and frame trapping. Look to the frame trap thread for more information on how to do this. While you combo into 2D is good and standard for Jin near the corner you can set up resets to do more damage.

First off, please just stick to the game sound, it's kinda off to hear a random soundtrack. This isn't meltyblood, mashing A is not a very good oki option. I'd either toss out a 6D, 236C, 236D, meaty 5B or a 6A. And now that were on the subject mashing A isn't that great in Melty either. Your blockstrings look like they could use a bit of work, maybe a bit less 2A and 5A, 6B is okay, but there are usually better choices. Needs more j.B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbilU4gJq4

A match I did with some other Dloop members. I'm hoping they'll record more matches so I can post more vids for better advice. Anyways, you know the drill. If you are wondering why I tried to j.B after 5B, 5C I have no idea why I did that because I know perfectly well it doesn't work on bang and that I should have Sekkajin into 5C, SJC, j.C, j.D, air dash, j.B, j.C, 214B. I dropped multiple combos in the first set but yeah you get the feel for my overall style. Also, respect the reverse cross up with j236D. lol

Some matches from our last Ranbat... at the moment I'm ranked #1 as result from the latest Ranbat.

vs some players I played more predictable compared the others because they're weaker players and have hard time dealing with certain stuff so I abused some stuff.

I need to play vs Tager more, despite the win against him, I need to learn to defend his offense properly and do the correct teching to his setups to avoid resets.

VS Bang

VS Ragna

VS another Ragna

VS Taokaka

VS another Taokaka

VS Noel

VS v13

Vs Tager

VS another v13

VS Hakumen

You seem to follow up IAD j.B/j.C with land 2B, 5C etc... I understand you want to go for a mix up game but you misjudged the distance a few times and ended up whiffing 2B. Personally, I feel it's better to follow up with rush in 5B into bigger block strings and frame traps. The falling j.B corner pressure was pretty bad, imo, considering Nu could have easily 2C you out of that. Jin's got incredibly nasty corner pressure so you should be utilizing other tools when applying corner pressure then falling j.B's. 5C->6C for a block string is terrible most of the time but I don't mind your use of it in the corner, however, you should have waited a split second then 623B. Probably would have punished Nu when they air dashed over you.

:036 I don't understand why you followed up a IAD CH j.B, j.C, with 2B, 5C, 214B when you could have landed, dash 5C, j.B, j.C, j.D, land, dash 5C, j.B, j.C, j.D, 214B for over 3K damage and if you wanted to get technical you could have applied a reset game mid combo.

I see you doing some random 6C so I'm not sure if it was botched inputs or not but I'm sure you're aware how unsafe 6C is.

:057 Again you attempt 5C->6C but this won't combo unless they are crouching or you land a CH 5C. From that distance of a freeze it would have been best to do 214C as they could have breaken out of ice. However,there is merit in doing A Ice Car as you could have created freeze set ups just as they are breaking out of the ice. A Ice Car into 6D would have been one such set up and even if they block it's +frames for you into corner pressure.

Random Super toward the end was a bad idea considered they didn't burst yet so you wouldn't have been able to chip them to death.

1:52 you landed 2B, 5C, but didn't go into 6C which would have given you a ton of options and good position in the match.

Viewed some of the other matches and overall I'm not seeing you maximizing on your opportunities. You whiff a lot of combo's or opt to do a simple combo instead of his more damaging ones or ones that lead into resets or better position. You should take more advantage of 5B especially if they block it as that move is great for setting up Jin's frame traps mixed in with 6D. There's just so many things you can do to make your opponent sweat when they are pressured with 5B.

Learn Jin's most damaging combo's (they are easy to do and set up) and start experimenting with your block strings as doing standard ones gets predictable and certain characters can IB and punish. Keep them guessing in your block strings and personally Jin is one of the strongest characters for doing that. It's incredibly difficult to anticipate what Jin is going to opt for when he's frame trapping the crap out of you as he is pushing towards a guard break while forcing you to do silly mistakes into big CH combos. While not necessary start applying resets into your game to get into your opponent's head even more. Nothing is more frustrating in a Jin match up is when you've been freeze reset multiple times.

You seem to follow up IAD j.B/j.C with land 2B, 5C etc... I understand you want to go for a mix up game but you misjudged the distance a few times and ended up whiffing 2B. Personally, I feel it's better to follow up with rush in 5B into bigger block strings and frame traps. The falling j.B corner pressure was pretty bad, imo, considering Nu could have easily 2C you out of that. Jin's got incredibly nasty corner pressure so you should be utilizing other tools when applying corner pressure then falling j.B's. 5C->6C for a block string is terrible most of the time but I don't mind your use of it in the corner, however, you should have waited a split second then 623B. Probably would have punished Nu when they air dashed over you.

To be honest I don't like dashing 5B for pressure, it's quite risky as they can random poke you and beat it easily, I need to use it from time to time but not abuse it.

Regarding the whiffing 2B, yeah I need to judge the distance a little better, and use 5C at those times.

And v13 didn't 2C me because I mix my jumps, that's the key, in reaction to 2C I can j236D and nail a fat combo, and that v13 didn't want that. That's why he was trying to jump (which btw dashing 5B won't stop him from doing he can jump + barrier for safety) and get out of my pressure.

I was using the 5C 6C trick to catch their jumps, in the corner this can work great.

:036 I don't understand why you followed up a IAD CH j.B, j.C, with 2B, 5C, 214B when you could have landed, dash 5C, j.B, j.C, j.D, land, dash 5C, j.B, j.C, j.D, 214B for over 3K damage and if you wanted to get technical you could have applied a reset game mid combo.

I still need to work on that combo, for the randbat I wanted take minimal risks on losing the offensive, especially vs v13, I still not to learn when I can pull the combo off and when not (for example hit confirm falling CH jB or IAD jBjC etc.)

I see you doing some random 6C so I'm not sure if it was botched inputs or not but I'm sure you're aware how unsafe 6C is.

some of them were super attempts :psyduck: I use this move alot of times to catch people's jump attempts or surprise them with the reach of this move, it's pretty good for that.

:057 ...

Yes I got confused, it was a bad call, this match was the one that determined that me or that new is ranked #1 so I had some bad calls on the combos.

Random Super toward the end was a bad idea considered they didn't burst yet so you wouldn't have been able to chip them to death.

1:52 you landed 2B, 5C, but didn't go into 6C which would have given you a ton of options and good position in the match. Again bad call from pressure.

Viewed some of the other matches and overall I'm not seeing you maximizing on your opportunities. You whiff a lot of combo's or opt to do a simple combo instead of his more damaging ones or ones that lead into resets or better position. You should take more advantage of 5B especially if they block it as that move is great for setting up Jin's frame traps mixed in with 6D. There's just so many things you can do to make your opponent sweat when they are pressured with 5B.

Yes I still need to work on the technical stuff to and pull it off 100%. Hit confirms of CH 5C, deciding whether I can or cannot pull the jB jC jD loop and hit confirm crouching chars. These are things I'm working on but on the ranbat I wanted to take minimum risks to win.

Learn Jin's most damaging combo's (they are easy to do and set up) and start experimenting with your block strings as doing standard ones gets predictable and certain characters can IB and punish. Keep them guessing in your block strings and personally Jin is one of the strongest characters for doing that. It's incredibly difficult to anticipate what Jin is going to opt for when he's frame trapping the crap out of you as he is pushing towards a guard break while forcing you to do silly mistakes into big CH combos. While not necessary start applying resets into your game to get into your opponent's head even more. Nothing is more frustrating in a Jin match up is when you've been freeze reset multiple times.

Working on the combos part, I think my pressure game is pretty good, I try to mix it up as much as possible, running 2A pressure to 6D/5B after 5B/5C jumping forward and jB shenanigans, IAD D cross up etc etc

comments are in bold

thanks for the comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-C4XC72GA

Hey guys, really old Jin here but havent played for a few months. Theres a vid of me against a random but (seemingly) skilled Tager. I know some I couldve done more tech traps and some of the block strings messed up but just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks =]

P.S. Yes I know I poke 5D way too much

It looks like you tech in the air after his BnB combo. I'm pretty sure Tager can followup with another atomic collider that will suck you in if you air tech.

On second viewing, I notice you j.C after the airtech. Is that coming out because you're mashing C to tech, or is it because j.C will counterhit if he does atomic collider? If it does, that'd be interesting to know.