Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grimsley-San

[Xrd] May vs. Slayer

Dear god man this fight feels rough standing up and I haven't found a way to punish Dandy step yrc on his wakeup.

Can we talk about when we can hit buttons in this matchup?

If you can see d.step I'd advise running forward and command throwing or doing a low profile or quick normal.

IBing k.mappa hunch leaves you with 5 punish frames. (This is from the perspective of a Slayer player since XX.)

You talking to me? Tapatalk doesn't let me sign in to this account or I don't know how to. I'm not bitching, it's a useful tool vs Slayer is what I'm saying. Come at me. :p

You talking to me? Tapatalk doesn't let me sign in to this account or I don't know how to. I'm not bitching, it's a useful tool vs Slayer is what I'm saying. Come at me. :p

My mistake, I thought it was some new member to the forums. lol

To add-on,

May's j.5H and j.2H are her best tools, it can get annoying to deal with, everytime I'll approach with it, it always hits. Probably cause online scrubs can't block online. :psyduck:

Haha, no problem. Her jump speed is very good, so her aerial approach is very difficult to deal with properly. She's Blanka. :p

Punishing IB'ed K Mappa with OHK is surprisingly obnoxious. The punish is certainly fast enough, but I lose so much time buffering the motion cleanly that half the time the Slayer dummy is able to jump away. Trying to do it faster, but it's hard without getting 6K.

Other than that I don't mind this matchup too much, to me it's mostly a matter of not hitting a lot of buttons (which I'm good at) unless you know for sure what the Slayer will do next.

Played this match some more yesterday. I used to think it was dead even but now I think it MIGHT be slight May favor.

3K vs Dandy Step at neutral is in fact really good in this matchup, so long as they don't have meter (or the knowledge) to YRC. But then again, you don't want to be 3K'ing without meter to RC to combo or for safety anyway.

There's really very little to fear in this matchup right now from just playing it Honda-style. Block a lot, wait for frame disadvantage to abare to knockdown or slip out with a jump or a whiff [4]6S/dash under a jump. If you're at neutral, threaten with 5H and empty single jump, and focus on attaining a spacing where you can bait long-range approach moves like forward dash, IAD, Dandy Step, and Mappa Hunch. You will inevitably get thrown a couple times blocking so much, but there are far worse things in life than getting thrown by Slayer.

Blitz Shield is HUGE in this matchup because everything Slayer does, while frequently plus or safely spaced on block, requires a commitment from his body. If you KNOW he's gonna 6H or 2K or whatever at a given point in his pressure, by all means, Blitz him.

His IAD is hard to react to, but there's very little shame in not reacting to it as long as you didn't get HIT for worrying too much about reading his IAD. Just take your time, keep blocking and watch carefully to see at what points in pressure and neutral he likes to bring it out. 

He has good AA/air-to-air but there's no burning need to jump at him, ever. All you really need to control space vs Slayer is your ground game (5H zoning, 5K, 5S > Applause, anti-air 6P and 2H) and occasional empty single jumps at mid range, trying to invite him in. You can basically win this match Street Fighter-style. If you try and jump at him you just run the risk of throwing away a lead you shouldn't have trouble holding if you get 6P'ed/5P'ed/2S'ed into an AA combo.

Safe jumps from [4]6S on his wakeup are very prudent if he has meter. This will be even more important in 1.1 when they buff the hell out of Dead On Time's stun. So if he has meter on wakeup, give him the benefit of the doubt and bait.