Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thekiyote

Millia's Bread and Butter

So, I'm new to Guilty Gear.  I've been playing it for the last couple of weeks, experimenting with different characters, and I feel like I like the way the Millia plays, but I've been having a hard time finding what the community feels her Bread and Butters are, and when to use them.  Can anyone help me find out what I should be spending the most of my time practicing in Training?

Thanks!

Anything into j.S j.D IAD  j.S j.H is your bnb, usually you can go into it with 5S 2H (close and far ranged S both work, but far ranged might make your 2H whiff depending on your spacing). You can also go into it with 2K 5S 2H or 2P 5S or 2S

If you think they are going to be too low for your first j.S, then add in a rising j.K., or you can simply omit the first j.S. and go straight to j.D

IAD = Instant Air Dash, inputting 9 and 66 very quickly (essentially a jump cancel and an air dash after)

Personally I would just practice (2K) 5S 2H j.S j.D IAD  j.S j.H until you get a feel for things. The main thing to understand is that most moves, when red roman cancelled, can allow you to run up 2H into your air combo (j.S j.D IAD  j.S j.H)

Also worth noting that anti-air counterhit close 5H, 5K and 5P will also allow you to confirm into your air combo.

Thanks for that!  I'll practice that.  Quick side noob question:  what's a "confirm"? Still not that great on the lingo!  xD

A hit confirm is a hit or string of moves that you can react to that lets you know if your string of moves is safe to continue or not. In this case, when you see 5S, 5H, 5K and 5P cause a counterhit (happens pretty often) then you react to it and do the combo (you've hitconfirmed). On the other hand, lets say your 5K does not counterhit. A non-counterhit 5K doesn't give you enough time to react to it and if you end up comboing off of this it means that it was a guess, rather than a hitconfirm.

I preffer to use j.P > j.H as the Bnb ender, more stable (mostly online). Also watch out for Ky, Venom, Chip and Potemkin, these for need j.K > j.P > .j.H as ender because they fall too quick (unless in a certain combo the opponent is too high).

Another important thing is that unless you know Millia is at a VERY close distance, you'll need dash momentum for every combo that ends in knockdown (j.H and 2D), so with Millia you'll have to move a lot.

I recommend you read this Bnbs list so you are prepared with combos for a lot of common situations: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10082-millia-basics/#entry879092

You have a couple of basic bnb's.

From far away with no meter you can do:

fS, 5H.

You will generally use this in neutral if you're too far away. This does some damage but doesn't lead into knockdown, however it is safe. If you want to catch your opponent sleeping you can do follow the 5H with 214K~H. It doesn't combo but it does get you closer and leaves you at neutral. Some characters can mash out of it though.

If you're close enough, but still far away you can do:

fS, 5H, 2D, (214K,) 236H 

This converts into knockdown and sets up tandem top mixups. If you are too far away for the top to hit you can use 214K to roll in closer. 

At the closest range you can get your best bet is:

c.S, 2H, jump cancel, j.S, j.D, instant air dash, j.S, j.H.

This is the combo that all her other combos are built on. It's the most basic of her bnbs, and 90% of the combos you will learn as millia are built on this.  

As for what to learn in training mode:

1) Learn her movement. This is critical to learning her as this is arguably her best tool at neutral. You have two airdashes and a fast run. Love this.

2) #Godblessthepin. Learn how to do air approaches with the pin (j.214S). The pin is love, the pin is life, all praise the pin! Seriously though. Learn the angle and speed this comes out at, this will stuff almost every anti-air attempt against millia and the threat alone is enough to make opponents block.

3) Your pokes! Learn the distance of f.S, 2D, and 5H. f.S and 2D are good pokes and generally convert into a knockdown. 5H is risky but it covers some decent amount of space.

4) Your anti-air options. Millia's anti air options aren't that great. 6P has upper body invuln but is slow and you really have to commit to it. 2H has massive start up but converts to a full combo/knockdown on hit. Put a training dummy on record and learn what your anti air options are against that character.

5) Combos! Learn the basic bnb's and then improve on them. 

6) Pressure strings: Millia's pressure options are limited by her limited cancel options. Fortunately as millia you don't really need to pressure that long since your mixup is really good. Although it's good to know what your gatling options are.

7) Hitconfirming. Set the dummy to block randomly, pressure it and see if you can consistently confirm.

8) Okizeme. Learn your mixup options on the opponent's wake up. I have a thread dedicated to Millia's wake up game since it's that important to her. 

Hey, I have been practicing Millia and have been very frustrated trying to learn her air BnB of [stuff->[2 HS]->j.S->j.D->986->j.S->j HS.

I am not sure if this is easier on a controller but for me it was much easier on my fight stick. Basically, every time I tried to do 966 my hand "jammed" or slipped or something and I couldn't get the timing to save my life. I have been trying this everyday for about a week and finally got this motion to work. This was frustrating to the point of actually making me cry, but I think trying something like this should allow other new players to save a lot of frustration. Sorry if I'm rambling but I literally just finished my daily after work practice and it is working consistently for the first time since I started this game. 

I really hope this helps, sorry again if this is too long.

Hey, I have been practicing Millia and have been very frustrated trying to learn her air BnB of [stuff->[2 HS]->j.S->j.D->986->j.S->j HS.

I am not sure if this is easier on a controller but for me it was much easier on my fight stick. Basically, every time I tried to do 966 my hand "jammed" or slipped or something and I couldn't get the timing to save my life. I have been trying this everyday for about a week and finally got this motion to work. This was frustrating to the point of actually making me cry, but I think trying something like this should allow other new players to save a lot of frustration. Sorry if I'm rambling but I literally just finished my daily after work practice and it is working consistently for the first time since I started this game. 

I really hope this helps, sorry again if this is too long.

trying 96 to do an IAD is more easy for combos

For what I know the Pin has its uses both in Neutral and combos:

1. Neutral: very good priority proyectile that staggers in CH so you have time to fall and do a combo.

2. Combos: If the opponent is in the ground, and you use connect j.S, you can cancel it into pin, fall and do a combo. There are also the relaunch combos after the delayed j.H ender that works in Midscreen and corner, or just not relaunch and go for Secret Garden setups (214H).