Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loner

Beginner Tips for Ky?

Hi I've been playing since /reload on xbox, but ive only recently starting getting into higher level stuff.. I never really had to because my friends suck at fighting games.
I see a lot of different combos for ky in the combo thread, though the discussion thread seems like a lot of gibberish to me..
I know most of the terminology (xrd isnt my first fighting game) but im getting creamed online. 7/8 fights, I get the opponent near death, but end up short.
Other than slowing down to focus, im wondering what good basic bnbs to start off with are,
and what some good basic tactics are for the character...
With ky i find myself abusing 5s, 5h, 2h, 3h, and his dragon punch move way too much ;p
I also find his slide move is blockable after the first hit?
Sorry if this post was a redundancy, most of the stuff in the ky threads in the XRD corner seem geared to a more advanced crowd.

PS. Ky vs Ram is the most bullshit matchup fuck her unpunishable swords and her creepy dress :I

Tools to use with Ky: stun edges, f.5S is good in some matchups, 5H is also a decent tool, j.D is a good keep away tool or punish jump in tool, j.S is a good spacing tool, and j.K is good air to air. Far screen you want to 236D and throw a stun edge through it. 6P is a really, really good anti-air, but if your opponent is above you (cases where 6P won't land), 2H or 623H are decent anti-air tools. Okizeme options you have in the game: charged stun edge, charge stun edge through grinder, 6H, and j.D. Charges stun edge through grinder is the best oki option Ky has, j.D is good since it forces your opponent to block low for a second, 6H gives you plus on block and if you hit him then follow it up with c.5S>f.5S>3H>214K>623H or if your opponent is far then I believe you can follow 6H with a 3H.

Simple Combos:

Basic combo: 5K>c.5S>6K>236D>236K

Anti-air 6P confirm: 6P>5S>2H>JC>j.S>JC>j.S>j.H>623H

Air to air combo: j.K>j.S>JC>j.S>j.H>623H

Greed Sever starter: 214K>c.5S>2H>JC>j.S>JC>j.S>j.H>623H

Damage (50 meter): 5K>5S>5H>2D>236K (have both hits land)>RC>214K>c.5S>2H>JC>j.S>JC>j.S>j.H>623H

Set up a grinder afterwards, but still good damage (50 meter): 5K>5S>5H>2D>236K(RC after second hit)>214K>c.5S>236D

Corner combos you pretty much want to launch your opponent or anti-air them, then repeat c.5S>2H>623H, when they get too far to continue then try landing c.5S>236D then oki with a charged stun edge.

thank you, ive been practicing those combos
JD? I have never had that thing land :o I didnt know people actually used it
And im trying the greed sever right now, but after the 5s, the opponent gets pushed back too far for the 2h 90 percent of the time, any advice on that?

Which BnB are you talking about combo to Ciel>Knockdown move or 5S>2H>623x2 off of air hit in corner?

thank you, ive been practicing those combos

JD? I have never had that thing land :o I didnt know people actually used it

And im trying the greed sever right now, but after the 5s, the opponent gets pushed back too far for the 2h 90 percent of the time, any advice on that?

j.D isn't an approaching tool, tbh, you may be lucky if it lands against your opponent, but you should use it to play a bit of keep away and it's a good oki option, not the best, but it's good to use it sometimes. If you're scared of certain reversals (For example Leo's uppercut for example will out prioritize his 6H and j.D, so the options I'll say some will work in some of the reversal cases and some won't), after j.D for oki though if you're scared, then you either don't do it and maybe step back, JC back after j.D and do your slash stun edge (this can create space and may beat out some reversals), or YRC it and faultless defense (costs meter, can bait out potentially unsafe reversal, if you have meter, this is definitely the best j.D oki option to deal with reversals). 6H for oki, just gotta space it and not whiff it is all I'll say, if you think your opponent's reversal will beat this out no matter how well you space it, don't throw this out too often, or if not, at all. j.D's other use is that it can scare your opponent to airdash in since you can't block or faultless defense cancel an airdash to block a j.D while attempting to airdash in, but you have to use it smartly in order to have that effect. Sure stun edges can zone as well, but j.D is just there and isn't moving so you can precisely place where you want it to be at, so j.D requires you to be smart about its use and placement. I'd recommend trying to figure out and think of situations when to use j.D, but in the meantime focus more on stun edge and the other normals I mentioned earlier since they're easier to use. A good j.D can be really good and give you the space Ky needs, a bad one can really get you punished pretty hard. Ky isn't a rushdown character, he's the jack of all trades, so he has to mix up his gameplan quite a bit in order to be most effective.

I think the 2H has to be pretty quick after the 5S, btw if you can't land the 5S on a certain character then throw out a 5P before 5S.

Btw, a bad habit to do, is to overuse greed sever, I hear it works online sadly on quite a bit of people, but don't have the same habit. Greed sever is really unsafe on block, doesn't crossup anymore, and it really stands out. Using it is okay for katame, and it's okay to throw it out as a surprise in the katame. Just keep these two things in mind when you do that: It's a high risk and decent reward, but if you have 50 meter to spare go ahead and use it if you want to mix up your katame, and if you whiff or they block it, prepare to get hurt badly especially if the opponent has meter. Still that doesn't mean never go for it, a player at my area (he's way better than me, haha) sometimes uses it and it works pretty well when he keeps his katame well enough.

I think he's talking about the split ciel ones, split ciel knockdowns are good, since it creates decent damage and it sets up a grinder at least somewhere. Grinders are Ky's favorite friend, since it allows possibly some of the best projectiles in the entire game. Grinder projectiles beats every non super projectile in the game and it never gets canceled out, this alone makes some of his matchups easier to handle, sadly grinders can be destroyed by enemy projectiles. For Vapor Thrust loops, they're mainly good for damage.

thank you for the advice
Im more confused about connecting with 5k to start his bnb into split ciel
spacing with ky, im rarely close enough with ky to hit with a 5k, and if i am, i usually end up using a 3h to get a juggle going or c5s,
though I guess i just have to get used to using his 5k

A lot of Ky's game is pokes, knockdowns, and oki options.You don't have to start the combo with 5K, you can start it c.5S or 6K if you wanted to, it does more damage from starting the combo from there and it has more range. The 5K is there, mainly because it'll likely be a combo starter when you oki your opponent, since it's your hit low option. I'm sure you heard to hit high or hit low after knocking down your opponent and using something like disk for Millia or in Ky's case, DC CSE or maybe even just plain old CSE. Sometimes you can just go for a very basic combo just for the knockdown and it can still be effective, because you get to set up an oki afterwards. If you can't get a knockdown from a certain confirm, for example confirming off an anti-air, then go for the full damage.

In general, try to get a knockdown and possibly a split ciel whenever you can, a knockdown is Ky's best friend, so with spacing tools like the tip of f.5S and 5H, you might want to consider 236K afterwards to get that knockdown and go for an oki. If you get too close for the second hit of 236K not to land, then go for 2D. Sometimes the best option is to just 2D and, depending on the character you're against, 236K afterwards. Your 5K isn't supposed to be just raw run up and use it, it's supposed to be get a knockdown by opening up your opponent, go for an, oki then hit high (Greed Sever, Dust, etc.) or hit low (5K, 2D, 2S, etc.). Some examples are CSE>run jump towards the opponent>wait for your opponent to land>use 5K, this is called an empty jump low, another example is CSE>run jump towards your opponent>when you're close enough use j.S, mix these up, the more you mix them up, the lower the chance your opponent is going to escape your okis. Sry if it's confusing or something, I'm tired and I'm obviously not a teacher.