Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valentine

Zappa Quirks

I've come across two interesting things while playing Zappa, and I'm wondering if there are other oddities to him. First off, if you have the dog out and you time it to where your dog and your opponent both counterhit each other, your opponent will "freeze" for about half a second, as if the game lags. You can get a summon off if you know it'll happen and prime a dash. Secondly, if you're in the corner with the ghosts and you dust throw, only two will come out, regardless if you have all three. You have to be as deep as possible in the corner, but it's useful for mixup since your opponent will think you don't have any ghosts left, then you pop them with 5S. Anyone else come across anything interesting?

if you 2H you can repeatedly shoot out 2H with proper timing or 5H. Really useful against those who like to tech ASAP and try to dash forward/backward and don't FD. As far as I've used it, it allows larger spacing. Or 2H and then 236 sword rush without the sword. You'll move forward, but your sword will have to catch up. You can't follow-up. Get ready to be punished! xD

First off, if you have the dog out and you time it to where your dog and your opponent both counterhit each other, your opponent will "freeze" for about half a second, as if the game lags. You can get a summon off if you know it'll happen and prime a dash.

Isn't that just normal Hitstop/hitpause behavior? It's the same thing Eddie, Dizzy, and for that matter, any character with a projectile can take advantage of to get more stun from various situations. You can read up on it at the bottom of this page if you're unfamiliar, but basically, any two "parties" involved in a hit connecting freeze for a period of time depending on the level of the connecting move. These parties are usually the two characters, but projectiles are considered a special case where the projectile freezes instead of the character that threw it (since the projectile is considered a separate "entity")

Secondly, if you're in the corner with the ghosts and you dust throw, only two will come out, regardless if you have all three. You have to be as deep as possible in the corner, but it's useful for mixup since your opponent will think you don't have any ghosts left, then you pop them with 5S.

This, on the other hand, is AWESOME. Any ideas as to why it happens?

I've know about the whole ghost throw thingy in the corner for a while but every time I use it the last ghost never shoots which just happens to be the ghost I needed in order for me not to get hit by my opponent. :blue: You guys may have a good use for it but that quirk just leaves me bitter. -__-

Hey if you slashback the first hit of HOS's 3 punch super and immediately 6P (may work with other moves) him before the second super flash for the second punch you'll counterhit him but both of you freeze for a loooong time. I'm talking like 30 frames here. I thought I froze the game for a second. I couldn't cancel the 6P into a summon either. It was kind of cool.

I've know about the whole ghost throw thingy in the corner for a while but every time I use it the last ghost never shoots which just happens to be the ghost I needed in order for me not to get hit by my opponent. :blue: You guys may have a good use for it but that quirk just leaves me bitter. -__-

I completely agree with you, it doesn't shoot the HS ghost i think. The fact that your opponent is not blind, he'll jump into you, and because the recovery of the D ghost toss is slower than normal recovery, the only thing you can do is block or try anti airing (zappa anti air? gl)

This quirk only pisses me off coz HS ghost is the best thing when you're grounded and need some space lol.

Hey if you slashback the first hit of HOS's 3 punch super and immediately 6P (may work with other moves) him before the second super flash for the second punch you'll counterhit him but both of you freeze for a loooong time. I'm talking like 30 frames here. I thought I froze the game for a second. I couldn't cancel the 6P into a summon either. It was kind of cool.

That's actually something universal (Well, specific to HOS, not Zappa, anyway). I've noticed it with Burst and a few other select moves as well (it's happened once to me in a match and fucked up my counter combo, so I tested the shit out of it in training mode.) I think there's just a point where the super redefines hitstop time to make the move look more "dramatic" or whatever, and it also applies to any move that hits him out of it at exactly the right moment. I actually think it'd be cool to note that in the frame data.

When Zappa is standing still, his arms wave back and forwards, and with them, his hitbox. It's completely useless, but you can test it: With Faust, if I 5D in training it will hit him only when his arms are directly in front of him or swinging from right to left, in the direction Zappa is facing. If his arms are off to either side 5D will whiff. If I take a slight step backwards, 5D will not hit unless his arms are swinging back around from right to left. When his arms are in front or to either side, it will whiff. Odd, but it's just something I picked up on in training mode.

When Zappa is standing still, his arms wave back and forwards, and with them, his hitbox. It's completely useless, but you can test it: With Faust, if I 5D in training it will hit him only when his arms are directly in front of him or swinging from right to left, in the direction Zappa is facing. If his arms are off to either side 5D will whiff. If I take a slight step backwards, 5D will not hit unless his arms are swinging back around from right to left. When his arms are in front or to either side, it will whiff. Odd, but it's just something I picked up on in training mode.

Morgan is the coolest.

:yaaay:

The D toss issue in the corner is because the third ghost is outside the screen (touching the wall). As you know, when the ghost touches the wall it immediately stops; The only reason it looks like it just didn't launch is because it's still also touching you, so you toss AND pick it up immediately. This is also why it's the HS toss that doesn't come out. If you do it mid screen, you'll see the furthest back ghost will be the HS one. I actually like to use this as a fake out for my opponents, regardless of where I am on the screen this trick works: Toss the ghosts and rush in, using them as cover. The blockstun isn't what you need, what you need is for them to think you're defenseless now since you just threw away 'all' your ghosts, but unless all three connected with the opponent (unlikely) you will end up grabbing at least one during your rushdown, with which you can do a hitconfirm into combo or put on pressure/mixup with. It only takes one. :eng101: Also, fun fact: Another great mindgame is to do a DA toss against Ky's CSE. Timed right, you'll negate all three hits of the CSE, and the DA orb will travel normally but won't have a hitbox. This is a total mindfuck to your opponent, who in all reality has a good chance to punish you for this, will most likely jump or come in with a big meaty, with which you respond with a free Edguy. Shit is hilarious because it works so well. Similarly, you can do a DA charge to pressure Slayers into doing Dead on Time into an Edguy Clash Edguy combo. GET HYPE.

Huh, that's interesting. I'll have to see if I can find a way to abuse that. I didn't know about the hitstun thing with the dog, but I just think it's interesting that I can suicide the dog and abuse the stun my opponent gets for CHing the dog. Free summon, and if you have tension, it's Raoh time. Anyone know of some good ways to abuse the ghost/sword lag? It just pisses me off when I'm running and go to do 5HS with sword and I find out the sword is about a Baiken behind me, so I just stand there and say "FREE COUNTER! COME AND GET IT!"

mash P

YOU CAN'T DO THAT! DOG AND NAKED CAN'T MASH P!!! :vbang: Seriously I don't understand what's up with that.

Anyone know of some good ways to abuse the ghost/sword lag? It just pisses me off when I'm running and go to do 5HS with sword and I find out the sword is about a Baiken behind me, so I just stand there and say "FREE COUNTER! COME AND GET IT!"

2HS, you can keep hitting it and the sword will stay in the air. If you hit 5HS near the last frames the sword will "reset" and chop down if they think they can rush in below it. You shouldn't be having the lagging problem with the 5HS, the lag happens with the following moves:

5S, 2S, 6HS, 2HS, jHS, 63214HS

The jS and the 5HS will reset (meaning get in the same attack place all the time). In #R the jS used to lag, which was some funny shit but you couldn't JC it back then either. There's some lag with the 236S, but the sword sort of resets there too IIRC. Try 2HSing a few times and then 236S and see if something weird happens.

The ghost lag should be abusing the jHS and 2HS, along with the tosses.