Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kumlekar

Axl vs. Sin

HELP!  Sin's range is almost as good as Axl's.  I've been going 4-6 on this matchup so far because the guy I've been playing with hasn't figured out how to use Sin's longer ranged pokes, and has a habit of eating CH 2H-5D and Raiei, but I don't think I can continue to win off of such gimmicks.

From the start of the match Axl doesn't have a huge amount of options,  I've mostly been backing off immediately because Sin's f.s is the same startup as axl's making starting the match with that move mostly a tossup.  Neutral jumps->j.S can also work, but gets beaten pretty hard by most of his other options. Because of this I've mostly back dashed and looked for a jump in anti-air or iad'ed backwards to start from max range.

I guess the good news is that Sin's options lower dramatically when his calorie meter gets low, so his pressure seems to slow down after a certain point.  The difficulty is that he ends most strings safely outside of axl's f.S or DP range, but close enough that we can't really zone him.  I've had some luck using rensen with no followup to punish wiffed Beak Diver and try to get in.  Beak Diver is big enough vertically that it punishes IAD's and dashing Raiei attempts pretty well.  Its -6 on block which is pretty damn safe at that range.  If Sin attempts a leap afterwards its pretty simple to anti-air, but if he follows with elk hunt, he will be able to go into a pressure string.  

The other move that is particularly scary is Bull bash (his giant overhead thing).  Its slow and can be beaten out on startup if you see it coming, but the giant hitbox can make it very hard to escape his corner pressure.  

For one thing, bull bash is an opportunity. You have counter, a straightforward way to make any hit with that much startup into a free knockdown that's right next to sin, meaning you can get your pressure started from an oki situation, meaning he needs to either start YRCing that move or not doing it.

I haven't played a lot of Sin yet, but if you're having trouble taking advantage of small gaps, remember that superjump airdash can get over a lot, and that run into FD brake is your safest offensive option to gain ground.

Also remember that Axl is a very mediocre character for zoning people out (You only really play that way in a few matchups), but is great at approaching zoners. Your goal is to get in and lay down some pressure, because Sin wants to be a full screen away more than you do.

So what makes Sin prefer being at fullscreen? I've played this matchup recently as Sin against a very strong Axl, and at fullscreen he'll activate Sparrowhawk Stance, then I'm sad.

You have to IB either the low or the straight chain and then 5K. Alternatively for the low one, you could block and then 2P. I'm not exactly sure if you need to IB for both either.

Also noteworthy thing to note, the low chain is not actually a low.