Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tailais389

Axl vs Chipp

I play this matchup often and win only 2 out of 10 games. It's an uphill battle for Axl to be sure.

In neutral, you've got to be careful. If you whiff one poke, Chipp is in. I've found Chipp has this crazy ability to just IAD j.D me in the face before

my 6k hits him. You've got to make sure your chain will hit before throwing it, it's a huge gamble pressing a button. On top of all this, he can just

teleport to you and get in for free, unless you read the teleport and punish accordingly - 2S for either of the airborne teleports, or 2HS for the grounded crossup teleport. Also, as a side note, a majority of Chipp's stuff isn't DPable.

(By that, I mean his left-right j.HS stuff with Faultless Defense.)

One thing I will say though, is that when in a pressure situation, if you see Chipp go for his command grab, it puts him in an

'airborne' state, allowing you to hit him with 2S and get a full combo (I use sjc.H, D, Axl Bomber)

Alpha Blade is a move some Chipps will use in neutral, which can hit you through Grounded pokes, depending on the situation specifically.

For Chipps who like to use this move, just use the P counter. I've also seen, in some situations, 2p clash with it and let you punish. Not something to rely on, but it's worth remembering.

j.S isn't a tool to be over-used in this matchup. If the Chipp knows the matchup, he can run up and CH 6P you for a full combo, so use it with care, alongside j.6P.

I have yet to find anything you can really do on Chipp's wakeup that's safe from his DP, although I haven't tried meaty spaced 3p yet and I'll get back to this forum when I get home and try it.

At the moment, P counter on his wakeup if you read the DP. It's obviously very risky, but it's fine to do occasionally and if it works, it'll work wonders as a mindgame. Once you've done it a few times, he'll know not to DP, which, in turn, will let you do more stuff on his wakeup without worries.

Because lots of his j.HS stuff is DP safe, and his pressure is long and hard to escape, I find it too risky to go for an Artemis (DP) and just use the P Counter when he's getting too comfortable with his pressure. If he (and if he knows how to play, he probably will) goes for a c.S, micro-run-up, c.S, you can P counter in that tight gap between the slashes. It's a bit silly that the gap between 2 of the same normal with a run in the middle is so tight, but Chipp is a pretty crazy character.

Point is, you're at a severe disadvantage. He is ridiculously mobile, and can teleport straight to you in neutral, he has a lot of un-DPable stuff, and has solid damage.

On the other hand, Axl's damage is crazy against Chipp- I hit with a Counter hit Thundering Shadow Chain (Crossup attack) and proceeded to

his standard BnB and did 55 to 60%. A few solid mixups against a Chipp and his health's gone, but getting those situations in isn't going to be a cakewalk. I'd appreciate any help on this matchup, it's very troublesome. Because he get's around Axl's neutral so easily, I prefer to go aggressive against Chipp, because any hit (if you've a RRC ready) can lead to 50% of his life. My rule for this matchup is, kill the Chipp quickly, before he kills you.

A good safe oki option that always exists and always beat DPs is SAFE JUMP. j.H is a great safe jump, as is j.P and j.K. Anyway, I agree that this is definitely not in Axl's favor, but I think it's less stacked than you're implying, you just have to play tight and remember that some of your moves just don't exist in this matchup.