Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akihisho

[CT] Ragna vs Tager

I have crazy trouble with this match up, I played this high level Tager, and his combos were fluid enough to destroy my health in about one combo. It's a little hard to get in on Tager without taking damage, either that or I suck with the Ragna, regardless, any tips on how to approach this beast?

IB is your friend. IB and punish. I know it's not much help but that's really all there is to it. Most of Tager's attacks have a huge tell, try and find one that you can memorize well and just learn to IB out.

take advantage for the fact that Tager has crappy if not unreliable AAs and get your jump in on watch out for grabs tho! lol also if you see tager trying to combo his command grabs break them like a normal throw

Thanks for all the help guys, what I did do though, was head over towards the Tager thread, and looked up some combos, and went to training mode, and recorded all the shit I kept getting caught in, and tried fighting against it, it HELPS.

I keep getting grabbed into his command throw. Rushing down Tager is scary and not sure if it's recommended. You guys know what moves are punishable with the 5c or the dash in 5b?

Do you mean, Tagers 5c and 5b? I actually saw a Ragna rush Tager down, and take it to him.

Dont get 360d, magnetized or sparked, and you should be safe.

That being said, it isnt quite that easy to do vs. a high level tager. Just be safe and try and block anything he does, than punish.

Dont get 360d, magnetized or sparked, and you should be safe.

Isn't that a given. Plus, you're gonna get magentized either way cause it gets you on block sometimes.

I'm talking about ragna's 5b and 5c since they are his long pokes/punishers. I'm not sure when to use it on tager

God I really hate this matchup, Ragna can work his ass off for the whole match and then get 360'd or DD'd once and he's back at a disadvantage. I recommend sticking to pokes and guaranteed combos, don't get too fancy or take too many risks. Try to always back dash away or Dead Spike block strings, or you WILL get thrown 95% of the time. One wrong move and 1/2 your health is gone. I'd avoid using Carnage Scissors at all, and only use Blood Kain for corner loops, IMO it's better to save your tension for RCing on blocked Hell's Fangs and such to avoid punishment. You CANNOT afford to be hit more than a few times in this match, Ragna can simply not trade blows with this beast. Tager has very limited options for AA, so use j.C alot. 5B is my preferred poke for this match, just make sure you're out of 360 range when you're using it. One last word of advice would be to stay close, but not so close that you're going to get grabbed every two seconds. Long range can be somewhat safe, but just watch out for the Magnet ball or you can kiss your ass good by. It's really a matter of how good you are at pressuring the Tager player, because if you're getting too predictable you're just going to get blocked -> thrown, all day long.

Adding to what prototype mentioned about 5B: it is a reliable poke but if you can land it on him, he can 360 you. (at least i am lead to believe so. I was once 360'd at the start of the match for throwing out 5B, which is pretty much max distance for that poke)

Adding to what prototype mentioned about 5B: it is a reliable poke but if you can land it on him, he can 360 you. (at least i am lead to believe so. I was once 360'd at the start of the match for throwing out 5B, which is pretty much max distance for that poke)

Yes, this happens to me a alot when i'm trying to poke with 5B when Tager is waking up. If you aren't careful all 5B is getting you is a 360 because Tager can grab Ragna's foot apparently.

It really comes down to whether or not the Tager player is doing a 360 at that given time. I think 5B still has more range than 5C though, so I think it's the safer poke regardless.

Tager has untechable 5 hit combos that will off 1/2 of your health most of the time, but don't panic and burst, that'll just screw you over worse. Just be ready to take that damage and compensate for it with Blood Kain if given the opportunity.

EDIT -

Also, Tager's Spinning DD CANNOT be poked out of, disrupted or stopped, with ANYTHING. If Tager has Heat, you'd best be playing super defensively and hope he wastes it, because I have Hell's Fanged into that shit so many times it's ridiculous.

from what ive played of both characters... tager isnt too scary, 6DD pressure is really strong especially since tager is fat, but you cant use it predictably because 2A ch with tager leads into fat damage, however hitting that is a huge risk as tager since that opens him up to damage too... ragna controls the "time" aspect of this match, so the only thing oyu have to look out for is invincible moves or IBed strings. max range hells fang SEEMS like a good idea, until you realize its possible to 360a it on reaction lol ps inferno divider more

been playing this a fair bit online and its really lulz most pokes tager throws out are free CH j.c or just 5C really alot of his stuff is slow / lack priority and sledge and shit is inferno dividah all day only thing you really have to be careful about is fucking 720 cuz that shit does wayyy too much damage i mean atomic collider is just another CH j.c once you get used to it i like getting magnetized makes hell's fang go fullscreen lolz but basically play this game in the air look for his pokes and toss out j.c and take it from there this is not even close to a bad matchup for ragna

An other thing with tager is that you can stay just out of his reach and in this way try and bait a sledge, and then throw out Hell's Fang on reaction for a CH combo. Moving back and forward over the very edge of the range on his pokes can also work as a bait because all his pokes are slow, then punish with dash in 5b

Also, Tager's Spinning DD CANNOT be poked out of, disrupted or stopped, with ANYTHING. If Tager has Heat, you'd best be playing super defensively and hope he wastes it, because I have Hell's Fanged into that shit so many times it's ridiculous.

If you throw out a poke (like j.C or 5C) and he does Magna Tech, just hold back and hit A+B+C. You'll RC then FD and be safe and get a free punish. Just don't attack him like a dumbass and you should not have to worry about that super at all.

Now 720C is something to worry about.

Fair warning though, Ragna's j.C isn't very active and Tager can backdash that shit pretty easy, so be really careful how close you are attacking with it. It's your best option but if you do it up close too much you are at a serious risk of getting thrown.

In my experience, 2C is an excellent choice as it seems to counter most of his pokes, which is a free stagger. HF is a good choice midrange, just make sure to add a throw escape early in the recovery. I think 11F there will cover you even if he IB and throws. A couple of ways I close in from B range are with B-C > iad j.c-d or HF-RC, or just D or 214D to be safe and stay outside. If you come in with j.d, I like to add a throw escape in right before landing to protect against the throw. I also add the TE to 2C since I dash and poke with it a lot: 2C~B+C.

I've been DPed out of the electric super quite a few times by Ragna. Obviously blocking it is better though.

Actually, something strange concerning the spinny super happened to me today. I tried to carnage scissor him just as he was starting his super. It ended up clashing and (since I was pretty sure I was gonna die) I just mashed buttons afterwards. Luckily, I scored a counter-hit 5B and just continued to combo.

So, when the supers clash, is tager no longer invincible during the super? Or did the tager I play just happen to accidentally cancel into something else after the clash, allowing me to get the counterhit?

I saved the replay if anyone is interested in seeing this, but it didn't really explain much to me.

EDIT:

I've been DPed out of the electric super quite a few times by Ragna. Obviously blocking it is better though.

If what you said is true, then should I just cancel into a DP after the clash?

His super runs out of invincibility after a while. The best option is generally to just block then punish. I'm pretty sure you can get a TK Gauntlet on him on block which of course leads to 4k+ instead of the damage you'd get from an uppercut. However, if he has 50%, you can expect him to RC the super so you might want to try a DP instead. I probably wouldn't risk it though unless you are real confident you'll beat the super.