Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobbyStock

New player, who should I sub?

Hey everybody, new member to dustloop and Guilty Gear, I know it's probably a bad decision but I really like Axl and decided to main him. I had a question for all of you, who do you guys think would be a good secondary character for Axl?

It really depends on what you like about Axl. I personally like comboing off anti air and good corner Oki(wakeup pressure). Plus I enjoy a good neutral game so I sub Ky.

See what you enjoy about Axl, or just fighting games in general and see which character fits.

Another thing, Guilty Gear characters are quite complex so sticking to one character and learning the game is also good too. I learned +R with Axl and I hope you enjoy Xrd Axl.

ew, Sol... 

Honestly the characters are different enough that everyone will have different tastes.  Its not really a "I like this guy so I should play this one too" thing.  I found Ky pretty easy to pick up, but I've been putting in a lot of work into venom. I play half the cast off and on which is why I'll probably never be very good.

Eh, just pick the characters you have fun playing with. Play through arcade or M.O.M  mode a few times with different people and see which ones stand out.

Well for me I played Reload for years never picked up the other games until Xrd. So my route was actually Slayer main and Axl sub. However Slayer just doesn't feel right to me so I mained full time Axl. 

As for Sub's I really like how Bedman plays so I've been subbing him. Granted I'm still waiting for my fightstick to ship from Japan so I can really test out Bedman but I think Axl, Bedman is a good combo.

In the general case, it's not a bad idea to keep Sol or Ky as a sub. They don't take as much time to learn execution and math-up learning wise in comparison to other characters. Again, this is if you really want a sub.

Personally, I don't think I have a sub. If I were to say, though, and if I'm familiar with who I'm playing against, I play Potemkin. I don't mind just blocking or waiting for a way out. Especially if I know how the other person plays, and Pot can hurt/pressure you for it. I see the same for Axl, with particular differences.

To repeat a point made above, put time into the charactes you have fun with. Even if it's only Axl Lawlz.

Oh I just wanted to add something to my original post. Once the changes hit Axl there will be no real need to have a sub for Axl. Once he get's that knockdown added, which is really all he needed. The match up's that are really bad will get a whole lot smoother.

Damn. Someone asks who to sub and no actual answers? Let's reword the question: Which characters are effective in covering Axl's bad matchups?

Everyone but Potemkin?

I honestly can't wait for A.B.A. if and when she becomes available in XRD. But for now, I'm gonna give Sin a try, as I like his range. Though his playstyle seems very different.