Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dusk Thanatos

It looks like Aksys is changing the HUD fonts in localization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWrolzfFeY

Click the boxes to show a quick comparison:

Aksys: [collapse] zbhrY28.png[/collapse]

Original:[collapse] DWAY4aq.png[/collapse]

I was planning on buying another copy when the game came out in English to support the localization, but this deters me a lot. Why would you change parts of the HUD that are obviously stylistic choices and are already in English?

I don't see how this bothers you guys, I mean, usually all caps means that you're kinda loud or something, but I know its just a game and all, other than that, nothings changed really, just anything and all words that are all caps have now turned lowercase words with the usual uppercase letter at the start, even the main menu I saw at the All-Aksys casual stream was like this too.

Anyways, still gonna get it sooner or later, despite subtle changes that really don't affect me, though yeah, the English release is based on the updated JP version with the Song Select.

It doesn't really bother me, I just find the all caps more visually appealing.

I also like being able to read all of the text on the screen and not having to pay import prices so I already know which copy I'm going to get.

I mean, I don't really see the big deal?

Although, the "proper grammer version" appeals to me more than all caps, because it looks "neater", but I don't really see how it matters either way?

Yeah, this has been a thing since NISA released their trailer of the game...

Caps lock was fun,  but doesn't really matter either way. (I'm more worried about Aksys messing up the chuuni lore...)

Anyways, I'll drop this here, since it's somewhat related. Various Engrish fixes we've seen so far:

[collapse]changes_zpsxzttmt7n.png[/collapse]

To me, it really ruins the minimalistic aesthetic the HUD had. The intentionally straight lines formed by the bottoms and tops of the capitalized letters, the uniformity of height -- all gone. I mean, it's obvious the caps lock was done on purpose. The word "Point" isn't caps lock'd, and neither is the "1st" in "1st CLAUSE." So why change it...?

It also doesn't help matters that the font they're using just -looks bad-, and the way they use it is also poor. Hell, the uncapitalized "g" in "Challenger" runs over the health bar.

I'm a lot less worried about fixing the Engrish text. That makes sense (though I wish it had been done in a way that better kept the feel of the original), and even if it messes up the look of the pre-match cut-ins, it's not as big a deal, since I don't have to constantly look at it. But this HUD is driving me nuts.

I think the font change won't bother me at all, though when comparing them side by side i can well understand your point.

I'm still glad i own a copy where it says "kill each other, but it's good", though the english translations aren't bothering me as much as i thought ^_^

Gonna buy the english one too, because i like the game, want to support them (and maybe understand some story).

When Blazblue changed from all blue to blue+red i found it really ugly, but after a short time it became quite natural...

Anyways, I'll drop this here, since it's somewhat related. Various Engrish fixes we've seen so far:

I hope they still have the "Actress Again" bit in Eltnum's short pre-battle bio.

It bothers me personally. 

I'm to used to watching arcade videos and playing JP version but I'm just picky I guess.

I agree with Chex that the caps seem abit better visually.

This is a minor thing, but the HUD fonts and the cringeworthy trophy text both speak badly of the quality of the rest of the localization. I would have also left the Engrish as-is for stylistic reasons, outside of the title (which should have been changed to Under Night Inverse).

I wasn't going to buy Aksys' version anyway, as I don't care about the story and the game isn't good enough to warrant a second pity purchase.

"He schemes. Staring down his opponents from behind his glasses. 

He keeps a beast within, and a book filled with nothing but chaos. 

He awaits the chance to unleash his power. The desire to find his beloved friend, 

and a comrade who would try to stop him. But which we was going to pick was obvious...

the beast shows his fangs, crushing anyone it find in its path." - Chaos

"She slaughters. The path she has carved herself, and those that follow in it.

The potential hidden within the have-nots, she has come to witness for herself.

The threads of fate play a trick, and the actress must once more perform.

The perfect distraction from boredom, until the curtains rise on her stage once more." - Eltnum

I think it sounds and looks way better. Though I will miss Vanishiment of Void. 

I honestly think they could've made some minor fixes and kept the feel of most of the Engrish instead of totally redoing it. Most of those localizations don't even use the same diction.

E.G. of something I'd do:

[table]The time of despair begins.
It's neck or nothing. To survive, there's
No choice but to defeat others.[/table]

It's not that hard to keep the original feel intact.

I think it sounds and looks way better. Though I will miss Vanishiment of Void. 

they removed the words "Chaos Code" and "Actress Again" from both of these are you serious 0/10 canceling pre-order

(not really but goddamn that's a disappointment)

(I don't even know if the "Chaos Code" bit was intentional but "Actress Again" definitely was)

Doesn't bother me, because it's something I wouldn't have even noticed unless it was pointed out. I just wish the game had an English dub, because with a sub, you never know if what the characters are saying in Japanese has been accurately translated in English subtitles. But I guess I understand why this game didn't get an English dub, since it is a budget release title for the PS3.

What a random-ass thing to change.  I can only assume that because Aksys was redoing most of the in-game text already, they just went ahead and changed the HUD text to achieve complete uniformity with the new typeface.  Otherwise, I can't fathom why a professional graphic designer would feel compelled to make that particular modification.  The lowercase lettering doesn't look horrible or anything, but it serves no purpose from a technical standpoint and does nothing to improve the game's aesthetic appeal (arguably the opposite).  Very strange.

I confess, I looked at both screenshots for like two minutes, couldn't FIND the difference, and had to read what was being complained about.  I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

I confess, I looked at both screenshots for like two minutes, couldn't FIND the difference, and had to read what was being complained about.  I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

Was instantly visible to me. Little details in graphic design can sometimes go a long way.

Was instantly visible to me. Little details in graphic design can sometimes go a long way.

I don't understand. Why would you even be looking at that part of the HUD?

If this is the sort of thing people don't buy localizations over, I'm surprised we get as many as we do.

I don't understand. Why would you even be looking at that part of the HUD?

Well, the word "challenger" is right above the health bar...

I confess that I don't believe you at all when you say you didn't see the difference.

It's not only aesthetics (though that's why I hate it the most). After playing 1k+ games, the difference is just really distracting. Information looks different and takes up different amounts of visual space.

It's worth noting that the screenshots in the Destructoid review show the classic HUD with the text stylized in all caps.  The shots could have been taken from the Japanese version of the game, but there's one image of a story mode scene translated into English, so I'm inclined to think they're from the localized version.  It's possible that changing the HUD was an idea Aksys was playing around with in an earlier build and eventually reverted it.

I guess we'll find out in a few days.