Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chingu

Axl Vs Leo Whitefang

This matchup is just gonna be hard until we get some real knockdown options, but you do have the tools to stop Leo's approach.

You're mostly going to want to focus on stopping his ground approach. Leo doesn't have a lot of low crush moves, and his ability to get in via airdashing is fairly limited. As such, your approach is kind of comparable to how Axl v. Order Sol went in previous games: A lot of 3P and 2H to keep him out, and be prepared to toss a 5P or DP if he tries to jump. You want to stay out of Leo's effective range, because you don't really have anything fast enough to contest his pressure, and DPing can be risky with that counter available to him.

However, because of his low jump and long normals, you may not be able to tag him with melody chain quick enough after he jumps a rensen, so it's a slightly weaker option than in some matchups, unless of course he's trying to throw fireballs at you (Rensen will beat either fireball, just do it)

So yeah, basically play a strong neutral game and keep him from getting close to you. That's really all you can do. 

Thanks for the tips and i'm still losing horribly in this matchup my neutral game needs serious work also I don't own the character to practice against

Thanks for the tips and i'm still losing horribly in this matchup my neutral game needs serious work also I don't own the character to practice against

I'm in the same boat.  I've been told there's a few throw oppurtunities in his rekkas, but I'm not entirely sure where.

Against the gatling between f.S and 5H, you can BS, backdash and Benten on normal block. You have a 2F window. Backdashing essentially needs to be just frame or you'll land in the last active frame(s) of 5H. If you instant block the f.S, you can just frame high/mid counter.

If you IB the first rekka on block, you should be able to throw him out of the second if you time it right. His cross up special is +1 on block. Depending on spacing it might not cross up, in which case he can be out of throw range on IB. Also when you go for throw always OS it even if you'll get worse positioning, good Leo players will try to bait it with yrc and you really don't want to give him real damage.