Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeef

Memoirs of a beginner

So I am a new gg player and I decided to try to pick up Slayer and I'm having a lot of fun just labbing it up and watching match videos. I've taken a fare amount of notes from what I've seen in match videos (and read on this forum) and I thought it might be a good idea to share these notes. Nothing I've written is ground breaking but hopefully it might help other beginners like myself who are trying to get into the character. The notes are nowhere near finished and the formatting is a bit rough, but I was hoping more experience players could chip in and add new info/correct any mistakes. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s538/sh/b96ea117-4088-4ab3-a7bc-5c6e67f36ce3/b577c8d0e03bf36f6abdc30607300c2b

Looking forward to any feedback you guys might have and I hope this helps some people

Mate I started to play slayer 2 days ago and I was like what do I have to do to learn this char besides SS mappa ? I don't think I can thank you enough for the notes xD 

Very nice, thank you. I have been playing Slayer since a week or so after Xrd came out and just love the play style. Now I'm trying to get a little bit more serious about playing, so this is helping me tremendously right now.

I'm not the best slayer by a long shot, but here's a few things I'd point out.

On wakeup, you can k dandy step yrc and then backdash against certain characters, IE: People without oppressive setplay to make it difficult to keep you locked down on your wakeup. Again this is character specific.

Eternal Wings CH 6HS P Step Pile is about 180-190 damage on sol and probably is often a better reversal in most situations than dead on time. Can also do it near the corner to confirm a combo without a counter hit, but again, if you're gonna get that on wakeup, its probably gonna counter.

6HS is ridiculous. Abuse the hell out of it. It is amazing, in my opinion his best normal. Others may say 5k or 2k, but I get the most mileage out of 6HS. Use it to catch air dashes or general air movement for a 120 or so damage counter hit with just 6hs pilebunker alone. You can also do UP + IL depending on circumstances instead of PB to get a knockdown for slightly less damage. I cannot stress how much I love this normal. I use it all the time. After under pressure I especially tend to use it a lot to try and catch jump outs or mash attempts for a fat counter hit. In the corner it's even more dangerous, as it EASILY catches attempted jump outs and can go straight into pilebunker and RC for a follow up to do well over 200 damage.

Don't think it needs to be said but i'll say it anyway, Under Pressure is your most commonly used dandy step follow up, especially in neutral. use it all the time then follow it up with 2k, 6hs 5k etc to force respect.

Back dash cancels. Do them, they're great and easily one of the best things slayer has. Doing that can make it really difficult for characters without oppresively huge normals to punish your dandy steps

your milage may vary, but my neutral game consists primarily of 5k, 2k, 6hs and under pressure. don't forget you can IAD after 5k to try and mix people up.

Use helter skelter occasionally. It's not that good but beats low mash  for a decent combo into knockdown.

Max range sweep pickups lead to good damage and knockdown, you can go for them occasionally to try and catch people sleeping.

6P is good in the corner especially. I know I should definitely use it there more in block strings because it has a good meterless payoff if it hits.

I almost never use 2HS. I don't think it's rewarding enough for what you get, but again, if you get a counter hit its pretty decent, so by all means, do what you're comfortable with. 5HS 2HS is still a pretty decent string if nothing else.

meterless air confirms obviously vary, but considering what I usually end up anti airing with, 6HS > UP + IL or CH mappa > 6HS > UP + IL or PB are all solid choices.

Again, sure some of this is obvious.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up jeef. My defensive game with Slayer isn't very strong, especially whenever I wake up. Going to try implementing these BDC options. Look forward to more, keep up the good work!

Updated everything. Mainly improved the formatting, and added a few of my thoughts and added the information tortoos provided.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm just starting on the GG series now and am thinking of learning Slayer (next two choices would be Sin or Ky).  I've read that overall he's not super-demanding technically, but does he play ok online?  I'll be playing online mostly, and I read he's a "links" character, which makes him different from most of the other characters.  I've played some Street Fighter, so I'm ok with links but I've also heard that GG has laggy netcode.  Does the lag affect Slayer more than other characters?

I play Rose in SF4 so I figured Slayer would be kind of similar (mappa=soul spiral, lots of dashing, no invincible reversal, no divekick, lol).  But Rose's 1f link in her BnB combos is a pain online, another char might be better to start.  Any opinions (beginner or advanced) welcome.

Thanks,

Ive found that slayer is do-able online but when you reach the 4-5 frame delay you feel it more than sone characters in that the f.s c.s link is more difficult as is mappas after c.s f.s but nothing that would make him "unplayable" as all characters are affected by lag but back dashing on wake up us harder also. But all in all slayer is more or less as viable as anyone online.

I agree with 4F being the turning point. Main issue is messing up the S link then going straight to 2D (sweep), which is really negative on block at that range.

Backdashes can be annoying too, which really hurts Slayer's defense

Cool thanks guys, I will practice some combos and then give him a shot online.  Hope it's not like SSF4 (my first fighting game) where I lost basically 100% of my first 70 matches online lol.

Xrd netcode has had a huge improvement. It was worse than SF4 before but now I'd say it's better.
c.S, 2D isn't really a link either it's a late gattle wich makes it feel more like a link than an actual gattle. Same for 2S, 2D. If I'm remembering correctly. I wasn't a Slayer main in previous installments.
I rarely play 4F+ anymore but the things that hurt the most is extended combos (just don't go for max dmg) and reversal backdashing.
Oki setups can be a bit tricky if you wanna hit meaty's and/or wiff IL for stuff but that's a bit more on the advanced side.

Thanks for distinguishing between late gattles and links, the distiction is pretty clear once you actually start doing the combos so I would have been confused otherwise.

I just did the missions as Slayer (except the Venom one) and had a few noob questions:

1. Mission 1 - Block Sol's uppercut and punish.  Is (c.S > f.S)*2 > 5K > Mappa the BnB combo for these basic situations?
  2. Mission 45 - get through Venom's balls.  I'm hilariously bad at this trial.  I've lucked out a few times with a combination of forward dash and Mappa, but I feel like a real Venom would find it trivial to zone me out.  Any hints?
  3. Mission 49 - You need to interrupt I-No's Stroke the Big Tree and do a combo for more than 100 damage.  5K CH > c.S f.S 5K > Mappa works, but just barely (like 102 damage).  I feel like I'm missing something.  Does Slayer have a stronger combo that starts with a low?
  4. Some of Slayer's moves like 5H and his command throw stagger on hit.  Is there some way for me to look up what my frame advantage?  I noticed in the practice room I can control how fast the dummy mashes out of these, which is a great feature, but it would be nice to be able to look them up too.

I find reversals and air combos much much harder than they were in Street Fighter (I basically can't do them at all) but hopefully that's just practice.

Thanks for any info.

The thing you'll need to realize first is that without meter, slayers damage on most counter hits isn't that impressive. It's a bit backwards considering he's a character specifically focused on that, but thats how it is this time around. blocking sols volcanic viper and punishing in a real match would probably be similar to what you did but tagging a sweep on instead of the mappa w/o meter. Slayer sometimes has to sacrifice damage for knockdown. Realistically as far as I can tell after all this time, if it's not a counter hit from a hard slash, its late or 2s, be prepared to burn meter if you want any damage beyond just average. There are exceptions to this, like Pilebunker only near the corner, crosswise raw, but you're not going to get a lot of damage off of stuff like CH 5k or 2k in general.

Slayers combos off of a low are kind of low end in terms of the damage they do, so you're not likely again to find anything beyond average damage at best without meter. Most stuff off of lows is just going into another knockdown.

Reversals are harder in this game. I think it's a 2 Frame window, but the mission mode definitely makes it harder than it is in a real game because they lock your controls for so long. I can reversal online sometimes but I could never do it consistently in mission mode. That said, reversals are always a risk anyway, and slayer doesnt really have wakeup meterless reversals in general.

Air combos are going to feel different, especially in slayers case with his lengthy air chains. They're not that bad and you'll get used to them with enough practice. Just keep at it. The only spot that can cause me difficulty in around 4F of lag (which is what im stuck playing in), is linking after 2k in the air. It's not that bad offline, but as has been said, 4 frames really feels like a turning point. Either way, its something you can do with practice, but i still drop my followups from it from time to time in lag.

A Bit unrelated, but I personally don't think you should worry about venom zoning you that much. Venom prefers to rush down than zone, its just kind of what he does. You could get zoned sometimes sure, but it's not going to be a tremendous problem I wouldn't think. I also don't know how much meter you're given, since I found mission mode to be a bit useless as far as I can tell, but your best bet would be timing forward dashes, and if you have meter you could try dandy yrc and then a long forward dash to try and get through them or something.