Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EXonestar

[CP1~2] Litchi Faye Ling - Mini Beginner Guide [New Players!]

Litchi Faye Ling Guide
This is just a small litchi guide.
Will try to go through as much as possible but not too much. Just enough to hopefully help new players and a few old players that are returning or just remembering bits and pieces about Litchi-Faye-Ling. I want New Litchi players to be welcomed with open arms ! (Litchi World Domination!!!)

Very Useful Litchi Related Links:

• Litchi's Dustloop Wiki [Here]
  • Litchi's BBCP1.1 Video Thread [Here]
  • Litchi's BBCP2.0 Video Thread [Here]

Should I even play Litchi?
As a litchi player i'll say Yes. As player, I can only help you understand her ~ Its your choice if you wish to venture in to the world of Litchi~ But here are some pros and cons to give you insight~

Strengths/Weaknesses
  • Pros/Strengths

Overall well rounded toolset
    Good corner carry
    Strong pressure, mixup, and okizeme
    Good at controlling space
    Strong Crush Trigger
    One of the best Overdrives in the game

• Cons/Weaknesses:

Poor mixup tools while in Staff Mode
    Very slow normals while in Staff Mode
    Weak meterless defensive options when staffless
    Needs to be near the staff to deal good damage and hit-confirm consistently
    High learning curve
    High Execution Barrier (But not as High as Carl/Nu to be specific)

Litchi specific Notations

These Notations ONLY apply to Litchi - If you are looking at written combos, these will be used:-

[m] - Refers to a move litchi uses whiles holding the Mantenbou. i.e. 6C[m] does a staff normal
[e] - Refers to a move litchi does whiles not holding the staff i.e. 6C[e] does 2 kicks unless 6C[m]
[D] - This is holding the staff in place by holding D, then releasing it after she recovers.
[D], ]D[ - "[D]" is holding the "D" button and "]D[" is releasing (letting go of it). Normally this notation is only seen when she uses other moves in between holding and releasing the staff whiles doing her combos.

Litchi Specials Moves

• Tsubame ~  Litchi's Dragon Punch - 623D[m]
  • ItsuuA/B/C/D ~ Short for Ikkitsuukan, Litchi's guard point stance performed with 41236D~ (half circle forward)

NOTE: D will Cancel the Itsuu Stance

• Haku 236A[e]  /  Hatsu 236B[e] /  Chun 236C[e] - Litchi's Rekka's
  • Kanchan - 421C[e] and 421c[e] (Hold)

NOTE- when held, litchi crosses up the opponent and performs the move behind the opponent instead of the front

• 4/6Kote421D/623D[e]

Short for Kote Gaeshi, Litchi's Dragon Punch motion when the staff is set down. The "6" or "4"  lets you know which way you should move it when written down.

• RiichiA/B/C aka 63214A/B/C[e] - Litchi leaps on to the staff and performs one of 3 actions depending on which button you press.

A- Jumps on top of the staff

B- Jumps on to the staff and flicks it towards the opponent

C- Jumps on to the staff but jumps off it after and towards the opponents

• IppatsuA~A/B/C/D - These are moves done simply by pressing one of the 4 attack buttons while litchi is on top of her staff:-

A- does a kick to the opponents head flicking them upwards
B-Does a 236C [e] kick off the staff
C-Does a 236C [e] kick off the staff

D- Litchi drops off the staff bouncing the opponent upwards

• Shinshin - 41236D[e]
    Whiles the staff is set down doing this move will cause the staff to spin like a buzzsaw in the direction of the opponent.
  • 2D set > 41236D will make the staff run across the ground.
  • 5D set > 41236D will make the staff go upwards and then towards the opponent in the air.
  • Ryuisou (All Green)- 6428C

Litchi summons a Green camp fire than launches opponent upwards (No invincibility on this Super)

• Kokushi (13 Orphans) - 632146D[e]

Litchi turns her staff in to a human like puppet and attacks the opponent (not as good as its older versions but still has its uses)

• Chinroutou - 632146C

Litchi does a puff ball move similar to Jam from Guilty Gear / Or Naruto's Rasengan (Yeah I said it...sorry). Once it hits, it does a super combo in to push back ender than hits them away from litchi and off the screen or in to the corner

• Daisharin(Overdrive) - A+B+C+D

Will explain this in more detail below but in short its litchi's Second form in a way where she takes full control over her staffs movement.

• "Staff2"

This refers to the second hit of the staff launch, on its return. Main thing to keep in mind when you see this in a combo is you aren't actually hitting a button here but simply waiting for the staff to hit them on the way back to you.)

Information on Matenbou (Her D Drive)
  •      Matenbou (Her Staff...when do I use it and how does it work?)

Litchi's Drive is a mode changing mechanic that allows her to switch between fighting with her staff, and placing it on the ground to fight barehanded. It allows the staff to be thrown out, where it goes one of two routes. This makes Litchi's combo's and playstyle very unique as she can combo off her staff when it is thrown out and even while it returns with or without counter hits.

•     When Can I use it

You can use the staff whenever litchi sets it on the floor or is not holding it  Now in terms of the staffs design, throughout the blazblue game series she has been able to use the staff freely simply pressing D. Even if she pressed D and got hit by the opponent afterwards the staff would always return to her back no matter what BUT in "BBCP2" she got a slight change (A nerf many would say). So now,if the staff is not in your possession and you are hit whiles it is in motion, the staff will not return to you but instead stop in mid-air and fall down. This nerf means we have to be much more careful throwing the staff out unlike our old updates where we could throw it around and have access to Tsubame Gaeshi (Her Dragon Punch) once it returned to us as we smack the floor.

•     Where is the staff going and Daisharin (Overdrive)

The staff can be used in 2 different ways. 1) Whiles litchi has the staff on her back 2) Whiles in Overdrive

1)By setting the staff down whiles standing or crouching and pressing D to throw it.

Important Notes:
-Setting the staff with 2D, 6D j.D -  Makes the staff fly towards the enemy and back  (NOTE: only hits once IN BBCP2.0)
-Setting the staff with 5D, 4D, 623D  - Makes the staff fly up and over but towards the opponents position then circles the screen and returns.

2)By using her Overdrive (A+B+C+D)
In Litchi's Overdrive also known as "The Great Wheel" Litchi's staff grows in size, constantly spins in circles, and begins to follow Litchi around the screen. During the course of Overdrive, the staff can be moved in all directions  and you have full control over it. It can be controlled separately from Litchi at any point during Litchi's actions.(Other than when she's blocking, guard broken, or being hit)

Important Notes:
-While Overdrive is active, Litchi is always in staffless mode.
-When Overdrive ends, Litchi automatically enters Staff Mode.
-The staff is controlled by hitting any of the 8 directional buttons + D. The direction the staff attacks in is dependent on the directional input you choose. Except 5D, where the staff will just aim for the opponent.
-Holding the Drive button will delay the staff launch for a short period of time. (it will spin until delay runs out)
-After attacking with the staff, it will stay in place for a small amount of time before returning to Litchi. If another staff attack is done before it returns to Litchi, it will do it from it's current position, rather than returning to her.
-Litchi is not able to use any of her staff related special moves during the course of Overdrive. (She is Fully Staffless)
-Litchi can gatling into any normal up to two times per string, with exception of 6C ending all strings.  
-During Overdrive All Green (6428C) and All Terminals (632146C) deal additional hits and damage along with cooler attack animations.

[RESERVED - WORK IN PROGRESS]

Ad-lib combos (Combos that you weren't prepared for and you had to somewhat improvise on the spot)

I've spoken to a few new Litchi players and looked at how they approached litchi as a new player.

Combo wise: They seem to be fine but need to learn more advanced & Ad lib combos (will happen in due time) Use of the staff, creativity with pressure and neutral options tend to be the part that looks like they are struggling to a degree. Mainly because they forget that the staff can be used for both defensive and offensive use. On top of that , they are unable to capitalise on random staff hits or add little segments to their combos that were not planned. So here's a couple of Conversions of staff launches & ad libbed sections of combos.

Example Videos below are Linked to Time stamps of litchi's getting confirms of staff launches. so that you can try them out for yourself and train yourself to get used to getting random hits.

NOTE: these videos will be time stamped from match videos so that you can see how the litchi's lead up to these confirms instead of simply posting Combo videos. SPECIFIC! - Also most Combo videos don't have combos that start from Staff hits to be fair. heh.

Example 1:  https://youtu.be/zYI_-LLtOv8?t=1m27s  / https://youtu.be/zYI_-LLtOv8?t=7m38s  

5D staff launch (Launched for a defensive purpose) / Notice how he positioned himself to make both of them work.   He timed the J.b > J.c for the staff to combo for a 3rd hit and then converted it to her staple BnB  5B[m] > 4B > etc.

Example 2:  https://youtu.be/zYI_-LLtOv8?t=7m54s

63214B~D  for a 2 hit confirm.  It's not a normal D staff launch but it's another example of how you can convert of another one of litchi's Staff throws

Example 3: https://youtu.be/zYI_-LLtOv8?t=11m22s

Notice the way he ended the combo with a 236c > 5D > 6C[2] > Tsubame. He knew that the combo was going to be ended near the staff and instead of using the chun as an ender , he ended it with a slight combo extension and put himself in a better position. (Smack in the corner!)

(More Examples coming ~ WIP)

I was just about to ask "Where could a find this stuff". Lol. Thanks for this. Hopefully I learn her to keep playing her. 

lol Glad to see that the Mini guide helped.

Its Working !!!

If there's any question - again ~ don't hesitate to ask We'll (the Litchi residents!) will try to help.

I'm on a slight Hiatus due to real life issues but I'll try get back to you asap

I'm finally getting down to playing this game. Litchi is pretty amazing, but im lacking some combos midscreen or corner carry for example. I've completed her challenges but they seem impractical. Am I wrong?

Correct  -  in terms of practicality, had this convo with someone before and we came to personal conclusions that Challenge mode # 11 17 18 19 Were the most practical

But for more combos to learn - hit up the combo section - There's a good list of practical combos there for you to pick and choose from.

its up your butt. Have you looked there recently? That is actually a good question....

Hi, I'm new here and I'm just coming from Persona to make this my second fighting game. I've seen many gameplay videos of Litchi and I really like her play style but I've read that she has a high learning curve and a high execution barrier. I play on a controller so my execution isn't perfect and in Persona the most complicated move is a double quarter circle so would I be able to pick Litchi up? I plan to main her if possible but I'm just a bit scared that I'd only get so far before I can't play to a good enough level

On 28/12/2015 at 1:45 PM, JYaham95 said:

Hi, I'm new here and I'm just coming from Persona to make this my second fighting game. I've seen many gameplay videos of Litchi and I really like her play style but I've read that she has a high learning curve and a high execution barrier. I play on a controller so my execution isn't perfect and in Persona the most complicated move is a double quarter circle so would I be able to pick Litchi up? I plan to main her if possible but I'm just a bit scared that I'd only get so far before I can't play to a good enough level

Hi - Sorry for the late reply -  I have no PC and Tapatalk is acting up on my tablet.

I'm a Pad player myself so i'll definitely say yes to your "can i pick her up" question.

Just practice my friend. It will only work if you make it.

I personally don't feel the hardship of using pad for characters like litchi who consist of a lot of quarter/half circles but I've her it's annoying to use characters like her with a Pad but seriously,  just practice.  It will become second nature if you work on it.