Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eshi

Sin vs. Axl

Discuss the Axl match-up here.

Axl Board's Thread

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10389-axl-vs-sin/

Pros 

- Sin outpaces Axl in pure damage & raising RISC level

- If closer than full screen, you can hit Sparrowhawk Stance's low strike after block with 2P, low and mid strike with 5K

Cons 

- Bull Bash is very bad since Axl can reaction counter it from any distance for free

- Axl 3P beats wake-up DP hella free, never do it

General strategy

- Play footsies at midrange, Axl has no pokes that beat 2S in both distance and speed. Approach carefully to minimize damage from his full screen pokes.

- Pressure very safely as Axl's DP will cleanly beat any poke, even 3K. Use safe jumps or Elk Hunt YRC to establish respect, and 236236P for guaranteed mix-up opportunities.

I have run into a few Axl's that almost predictable go 2HS>6HS. Initially was annoying but I found there is a big gap between the two and after blockstun on 2HS you can easily throw in Hawk Baker for a clean counter hit almost every time and follow it up with Bull Bash for the start of a beat down or combo of choice.

On Axl's stance if you know he is going to wait a bit (to avoid wake up BS and things) you can run towards him, then throw 623S as soon as you see him doing something. If you're close enough Sin's reversal is big enough to hit his High/Mid/Low chain.

Just to add a few things to the thread.

2S does contest a lot of Axl's normals, except Axl's f. S(and you can't low profile it either), however, f. S is pretty bad on whiff(compared to Sin's 2S), and has pretty limited gatlings, so there's that.

There's a certain sweet spot where you'd wanna be if you're outside of 2S range, and that's right at the edge of beak driver range. Provided you get beak driver out first, it usually would beat almost anything Axl does to poke you with, giving you a CH you can confirm into. Too late and well, you'd probably get hit out of startup. This is the move you'd wanna be playing footsies with. Be aware that he could just counter you or do something else other than trying to poke you, so(as always), be sure to mix it up. Maybe you could just not do anything and wait, or even risk a jump in/slide.

I play with, who I would think to be a pretty solid Axl who knows what's he doing, and although I used to be free in this match(starting to lose a little less though!) it's mostly due to him being more experienced/a better player and me needing to improve, so I think it's safe to say it's mostly even(he thinks so too).

The more I play this matchup the more I go for straight pressure. His two main tools for keeping you off of him are his DP and his counter. A backdash on his wakeup occasionally can cause a wiff and open him up for punishment. For me, playing footsies with him is a loosing battle against a solid Axl. Anyone else try both methods and see what works for you, obviously it depends a lot on how you play sin. 

I do agree though, this is a mostly even matchup