Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dude Butts

do you think the gg community would be bigger with rollback netcode?

It's not hard to see why the biggest areas to contribute to the fgc have been jpn/ny/sf/la.  For those of us who grew up outside of those areas, fighting games weren't even really a talking point until ggpo and supercade came around.  When Xrd came out, I was really hoping the community would explode, and I'm kinda disappointed to see very little activity on the biggest gg forum (actually sad to see no xrd content whatsoever on srk) only 4 months after release.  

Do you think EVO will turn it around for GG?  What impact on the game's popularity do you think some modernized netcode would've had or could have in the future?

I think EVO will up the player base for abit but they won't stay for long probably stay for long (Happened with BBCP). Better netcode may get more people talking about it but that doesn't really guarantee more players. 

Guilty is hard, an airdasher and not a Capcom game. There is nothing that could give it a big scene in the west. Best case scenario is a small-ish, dedicated scene that sticks around until the next revision with a steady trickle of new players, which is more or less what i'm seeing locally..

Funny, I heard that pre-reg for Final Round was pretty big (183 last I checked?). Instead of people doom-and-glooming about the supposed lack of forum activity, maybe people are just too busy actually playing the game?

The community wouldn't be bigger. There would just be more of the existing players playing online more frequently.

To me it makes sense that SRK doesn't have anything GG related. SRK has been nothing more than a Street Fighter hype train from what I've seen the last few years. So I doubt they will ever put in GG stuff outside of patch notes and possible click bait.

The reasons I think GG is a small community compared to say Street Fighter.

1. Stiffer learning curve.

2. Characters are harder to master.

3. Inputs matter - there's no shortcuts ie  :df:  :df:  doesn't give you a DP

4. No huge payouts for tournies. Your not going to see 50k payouts in the US for winning a major in GG.

On the other hand Xrd is a beautiful looking game. The art for the stages, characters, and even the moves blow everything else out of the water. The game also rewards people for their time ie. the better you become the more fun you can have. To play GG you need skills. Capcom games made it very easy to get "good" with poor execution and put a lot of really bad habits into the current FGC. So for those people who say "grew up" with SF4 will find GG far to hard to play.

I do think that once we get more regular Xrd tourny streams, majors, and of course Evo the community will grow slowly.

To me it makes sense that SRK doesn't have anything GG related. SRK has been nothing more than a Street Fighter hype train from what I've seen the last few years. So I doubt they will ever put in GG stuff outside of patch notes and possible click bait.

The reasons I think GG is a small community compared to say Street Fighter.

1. Stiffer learning curve.

2. Characters are harder to master.

3. Inputs matter - there's no shortcuts ie  :df:  :df:  doesn't give you a DP

4. No huge payouts for tournies. Your not going to see 50k payouts in the US for winning a major in GG.

On the other hand Xrd is a beautiful looking game. The art for the stages, characters, and even the moves blow everything else out of the water. The game also rewards people for their time ie. the better you become the more fun you can have. To play GG you need skills. Capcom games made it very easy to get "good" with poor execution and put a lot of really bad habits into the current FGC. So for those people who say "grew up" with SF4 will find GG far to hard to play.

I do think that once we get more regular Xrd tourny streams, majors, and of course Evo the community will grow slowly.

1) Very debatable.  IMO links are much harder to really get down than chain based combo systems.

2) I would say it's more that the characters and their mechanics are more differentiated making switching between characters trickier. 

3) That's only a problem when those people try to take their skills to other games.  I would also argue that  :b:  :d:  :f:  = half circle is worse as in teaching this shortcut  instead of an alternate input it's directly reinforcing lazy execution.

4) Sort of.  Unless my math is completely off (which I don't think is the case) between entry fees and a sizable pot bonus BB:CP had the highest payout of any game at Evo last year for all the good that and having a really hype grand finals did for earning a return invite.

lol dunno what you're all talking about, the Xrd community right now looks bigger than any other fighters from similar lines (BB, P4U, UNIEL etc)

It definitely feels like a mainstream game rather than a niche, like BB seemed to be since CT. The tournament numbers are nice, the amount of events featuring the game isnt bad and players from other games are showing interest in playing and going to Xrd events.

I think it's doing great considering the game is only 3 months old.

My issue is not the netcode, and I play a link character instead of a primarily chain based one. It's more of the fact the  lobby system is the worst i've ever personally experienced. In one 30 minute play session I can get bugged or locked into a cabinet multiple times, and I know it's not just me this happens to. How glitchy/broken the lobby system is is what puts me off, not the netcode. Fixing the netcode wouldn't add new players. This game has a fairly steep learning curve, and execution isn't all there is to making a fighting game difficult to play. It's just one of many reasons guilty gear is difficult. So no, I don't think changing netcode would add new players. Being sure to keep the game balanced/updated over time and fixing the damn lobbies are probably the best way to try and bring in new players consistently.

Xrd is only 3 months old, but the GG community is 10+ years old and is backed by a long history and well earned respect. My scene has been growing even during SF4. Now that Xrd is out, I'm seeing a return to pre-SF4 growth rates. Might even be a good thing that the online is only just serviceable. Enough to get a taste, but you need to reach out to the offline scene for the full feeling.

Xrd is only 3 months old, but the GG community is 10+ years old and is backed by a long history and well earned respect. My scene has been growing even during SF4. Now that Xrd is out, I'm seeing a return to pre-SF4 growth rates. Might even be a good thing that the online is only just serviceable. Enough to get a taste, but you need to reach out to the offline scene for the full feeling.

For the first time in its prestigious life, GG is accessible to newcomers. Sure it's still a difficult game to truly get into, but giving resources for newcomers saying "It's okay, we got tutorials and challenge mode and mission modes to get you caught up to a gorjillion years of mechanical development in fighting games". I've actually been learning Venom for the first time because why not?

Well, SF is the default entry-point for the genre. Good online (or games good for online?) is inevitable, so it's up to scenes and tournaments to adapt to that.

Well, SF is the default entry-point for the genre. Good online (or games good for online?) is inevitable, so it's up to scenes and tournaments to adapt to that.

Links make me feel like I'm playing Guitar Hero.

SFIV's netcode is ass and that still has a huge playerbase. Net probably won't affect how many people actually play the game, but it would definitely make online a better experience.

Every SF game's netcode is ass. Especially Ultra's

I learned how to play fighting games because of ggpo.  If it weren't for good netcode, I would have no passing interest in fighting games today.  I am but one example, but refusing to learn to play the game incorrectly is the single reason I don't play more xrd.  I know if I could play the game more often from the comfort of my home and hassle free, I would.  I think this is true for many other people.  I personally know 3 people who were excited about xrd, purchased it, and have never played it.  I know 3 more who purchased it, played it a few times, and went back to playing games on fightcade.

Just wait until the ISPs are forced to give us non-shitty internet for an affordable rate.  The netcode could be better, but this will still help out a great deal.

I'll happily play in 2f delay compared to a connection that fluctuates wildly between 4-7f at absolute best.

Though yeah, rollback allowing delay of as low as 1f would be pretty sweet.

I don't know why people like streetfighter. it's a horrible, horrible game. Guilty is inifinitely better and always has been ever since guilty gear x2.

SF is bad.

Tekken is ass.

Soul Calibur is cool for 3d fighters but again GG beats it out.

Smash is a great game sure, but it's nowhere on the quality level of gg. Smash is more just a wild game, gg is much more refined, etc.

So since gg isn't accessible, as in it's a really f'ing hard game to play and you NEED to practice with a character just to be able to play at a basic level, people don't like it. People are lazy. That's why they like Tekken.

GG is destined to have a small user based especially as most people can't recognize the true quality of the game in all its aspects. At least its at Evo and the fact that gg isn't on the main stage every year is a little baffling. It's the best fighting game ever made and Evo is supposedly the best fighting game event. Oh well, hopefully Xrd catches on a little.

I don't know why people like streetfighter. it's a horrible, horrible game. Guilty is inifinitely better and always has been ever since guilty gear x2.

SF is bad.

Tekken is ass.

Soul Calibur is cool for 3d fighters but again GG beats it out.

Smash is a great game sure, but it's nowhere on the quality level of gg. Smash is more just a wild game, gg is much more refined, etc.

So since gg isn't accessible, as in it's a really f'ing hard game to play and you NEED to practice with a character just to be able to play at a basic level, people don't like it. People are lazy. That's why they like Tekken.

GG is destined to have a small user based especially as most people can't recognize the true quality of the game in all its aspects. At least its at Evo and the fact that gg isn't on the main stage every year is a little baffling. It's the best fighting game ever made and Evo is supposedly the best fighting game event. Oh well, hopefully Xrd catches on a little.

Let's please stay on topic.  All of those games are challenging in their own ways, this thread is about what better netplay could bring to the franchise.

Don't know about you guys but when I get fights against other scandinavians I'm usually at only 1f delay, at worst 2f. Netcode seems very good as long as I don't venture further than england or france. Now, wifi-warriors on the other hand are the worst.