Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dot_Nova

Potemkin vs Venom

In Neutral:

Venom's neutral is fairly strong. In addition to being suppressive, the constant threat of ball launches stifle movement and lets him set up for free.

Neutral is pretty rough. It's hard to react to when he'll shoot a ball but when he sets up, so instead try to anticipate when he fires off especially if he's in the air. This in itself is difficult because he has free reign to tag you with a normal while hitting a ball preventing you from flicking.

However, one well-timed flick and you'll almost have a free approach as the missile will eat every other ball he launches.

If he still has a ball set after a successful flick, as you approach the ball, be wary of a teleport. Punish it with an air normal or a throw or heavenly pot buster as he teleports away. In other words, if you believe he will teleport, jump towards the set ball in an attempt to punish it.

Fish for slidehead, if timed right, it will go under stinger or at least trade or force him into the air allowed you to slowly approach and make his ball shots easier to anticipate.

A situational yet important tidbit:

You cannot flick Dark Angel or Bishop Runout. You can't hammerfall through Bishop Runout

On Defense:

Forward megafist over his Carcass Raid and his f.S and his stingers. He can change the trajectory on carcass raid to punish your megafist so if your opponent starts doing this, start using megafist more sparingly or attempt to trade with 2D/hammerfall.

Venom oki is very difficult to defend against. His options vary on where his balls are set but almost all of them lead into a jump-in, an empty jump low, a late air dash, or a throw after forcing you to block the ball.

Do not attempt dead angle the ball, instead try to dead angle his normal. A lot of venom oki is dead angle safe during the ball hits.

If he doesn't do a solid jump in, heavenly pot buster is valid. If he is too close during the ball hit, reversal blitz the ball for a proximity reject or if he lands in an attempt to do an empty jump low: throw him.

Fish for a 2D or megafist during prolonged pressure. Trading 2D for a hit is very much worth it as you'll knock him down and at least set the game back to neutral. 

On Offense:

He has no reversal options. Even if he has a ball set, teleport has a long startup and is not throw invulnerable. Instead, look for dead angles and blitz attempts. The only normal venom has that he can mash is 2D to trade for a knockdown.

Got 4th place in a local tourney filled with players heading to thailand for SEAM. Got eliminated by consistent top 3 players that main venom and zato.

Any suggestions on how to deal with venom's repeated (P-ball > 2S) in the corner? I guess I'll lab it later when I get home and post results. It's particularly effective vs characters like pot, slayer, and maybe bedman since I was forced to block it like 4-5 times even if I FD'ed it.

Got 4th place in a local tourney filled with players heading to thailand for SEAM. Got eliminated by consistent top 3 players that main venom and zato.

Any suggestions on how to deal with venom's repeated (P-ball > 2S) in the corner? I guess I'll lab it later when I get home and post results. It's particularly effective vs characters like pot, slayer, and maybe bedman since I was forced to block it like 4-5 times even if I FD'ed it.

Don't FD that thing unless you want to prevent chip dam. ball is projectile therefore Venom isn't affected by hitstop when the ball touch you - he'll gain even more frame advantage and will not be pushbacked more. 

I don't fully remember how the blockstring works so I'm not 100% sure. Is it where the 2S hits the ball while it's hitting you, then while the ball is traveling and putting you in blockstun he's throwing the p ball and repeating the process? If that's the case then try these in training mode.

1. Try to only FD the 2S for pushback and IB the ball then try to fuzzy jump out or megafist when there's a little distance. 

2. Blitz. If there's no space in between hits to blitz, try to IB then blitz. I don't believe you'll be able to punish him but you'll get out of the blockstun and throw off his rhythm.

He's a pretty solid venom, but:
-His defense's not quite good, you can see in 2nd round he got destroyed when put in the corner (get tagged by 2 6HS - ????).
-He seems rely on 5D alot, so don't get hit by 5D. It's not a difficult task

Also on your side, here's my advise:
-Don't blind flick when he's nearby
-Try not to backdash, just walk forward and prepare to IB balls, tension plays a huge role in this matchup.Also don't spam hammerfall. You can see Abegen got hit alot by stray balls > bad things.

just walk forward and prepare to IB balls,

I'm an idiot for not thinking of something as simple as this, thanks for pointing it out.

this venom it's very good, the only two weak points i found are.

First he it's really good on zoning but this offense based a lot on 5d and chipp damage, so if you practice block that 5d in the situations of the video (training mode recording> random replay) you can punish him 5d (-9 on block).

Second his defense it's bad, he want to keep you out so when potemkin close the gap he react very predictable like spend meter doing flawless defense always and dead angles regardless the attack he block, use the burst, etc.

remember you can use j.s or 2p to bait and block the dead angles, also you can take a risk and do empty jump and potemkin buster (he it's blocking after all).

vs his burst use bust bait like hammer fall>RC>block (bust bait)>combo, etc and bait the gold burst jumping forward and block in offense (if you block it in air it's a free potemkin buster)

finally the only 2 tendencies i found it's he use the 6hs>summon a lot, so you can read it and hammer>YRC>potemkin buster. and he start the round doing the 2s or instant air dash back, the first you can try megafist forward, and the second you can smash f.s, i think 2p trade vs venom's 2s, i need test it.

I was playing some intense Venom matches earlier in the day and I kept getting caught in a charged Stinger Aim Loop. I'm wondering if this I a wonky sort of unblockable set up or if I'm just bad at 50/50 situations. I guessing the latter in all honesty... I was being mash happy then. 

If it's timed right it's pretty tight for his mixups, but a few times were charged for a gap but I wasn't reacting properly. I'm thinking if that happens I could jump but I could be baited with anti-air... I could be over thinking this.

Just wondering what to do.