Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dot_Nova

Potemkin vs Potemkin

Potemkin's best matchup?  Seriously though while the mirror here doesn't feel quit as retarded as the Tager mirror (wheeeee magnetism) or as dumb as SFIV (I successfully landed my BnB and all I got was SPDed) it's not fun and I'm not good at it.  All the Potemkins I've played online seem to use forward Mega-Fist a hell of a lot more than I do and I think it's for one of two reasons (possibly both).  Either they're terrible and use that move against everyone OR they realize that depending on the spacing Potemkin can't do shit about it on block so why not throw it out.  That said I'm definitely open to suggestions on how to approach this thankfully fairly rare matchup.

Honestly my suggestion is to just lame it out with long range pokes. Think of it this way: you may be a grappler, but so is your opponent. Don't play his game. Charge back and toss out long range normals. If your opponent does hammer fall when you do that, just cancel into something else that'll hit him a second time, or something.

I'm not exactly speaking from great experience here, but that's my immediate gut take on this "matchup."

So after playing this MU more, it's basically street fighter RPS. Lame the other Potemkin out with f.S and 5H. Always look for their hammerfall so when you poke with a normal, you go straight into your hammerfall. Regarding megafist, it's good if you believe your opponent is fishing for command throw, but use forward megafist sparingly since it's -4 and Potemkin Buster will almost always be guaranteed since it's a 3 frame startup.

Oh, and beat slidehead with hammerfall or flick. You can flick the shockwave and you can also flick the missile for a game of catch.

You can also OS wakeup BD whenever you jump in. Potemkin's backdash is so long, when you whiff your jump-in, you can mash 5P or time a 2K to catch him during his 1 frame of vulnerability.

5P hits Potemkin when he's crouching so get creative with pressure or else you're getting BD pot bustered.

This is the matchup i play the most lol =))).
You don't want to be in the air outside of safe jump. You don't want to be cornered too. Use YRC OS HFB when you want to pressure.
On offensive, once you knock the other Pot down, use either 1 of these 2 safe jump:
1-High hit meaty jS>jP. the jP works as a second overhead.If you do it right, and end up hitting a crouching Pot, the jP will wiff but the hitstun still allow you to combo into standard BnB(2P>2K>S.f>2D). If he block all, just continue pressure with 5P. If he backdash you can confirm and hit him with 2K/5K. Mixing this with jS>landing 2K or delay PB for the mixup.
2-Deep hit jS. this is for 2 purpose: catching backdash and fish for CH. If opponent notice the gap in the safe jump, he will:

-backdash (you OS 5K to catch this).

-attempt anti air (the gap is not enough to allow him to this, so you'll get a jS CH).

-blitz (you can let him get away with this one time, and than bait for a 2H/6H CH - which is worth a round).

i agree with people here, potemkin vs potemkin it's all about footsies with 5s and 5hs, some tricks i found.

a meaty dust beat potemkin wake up gigantor in anticipation, potemkin buster beat it on reaction, the 5p work well like a anti air in close distance some times.

one trick it's use the 5hs>slide head or 5hs>megafist>yrc to bait jump/back dash and punish, be careful because the slide head can be punish with a hammerfall yrc>potemkin buster. 

heavenly work very well like a anti air in this match up (potemkin jump it's to slow) on full screen you can bait the heavenly doing ICPM>YRC>j.d