Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[Xrd 1.1] Venom gameplay discussion thread

1.1 is out now on console! (5/8)

Only use this thread to discuss final confirmed changes!

QV: Decreased knockback on hit

This was better than I expected. Instead of "decreased" it's more like "removed"; as in zero horizontal knockback distance. I could imagine something like j.H c.S(2) 5H K-qv 5K 6P bh 6H to be a universal combo now. Now if j.H c.S(2) 5H S-qv 5P iad~  becomes universal then due to the number of hits, it will be possible to do airdash jSHD dashjump jKSHD l> 6H on probably 90% of the cast which would guarantee full wall carry into a fully charged qv as meaty oki in the corner.

On an unrelated note, did anyone see how the new blitz is doing? I saw someone trying to blitz millia's hoola hoops on two occasions but never saw either successfully reject both her and the hoop even when she was so close.

Blitz supposedly only works at throw range, but there's still virtually no footage of it in action at the moment. I'm beginning to think nearly every standard setup we have right now is safe from getting regected, but the wider reversal window for BS is going to mean we still need to deal with the invulnerable recovery.

I wish we had more footage coming in. All I've seen if 1.1 so far is Ain tearing ass with Leo.

Browsing twitter earlier, saw a tweet from 310 about new midscreen throw combos.

"中央投げ>KQV>HSQV>Sカス>ダッシュ5P弾き>HS生成>微ダ遠S>転移~"

Throw > KQV > HSQV > S Carcass > 66 5P > HS set >  ?? > ??

I don't understand Japanese so there was only so much I could gather from it. 微ダ遠S>転移~ I couldnt gather from google translate. 

Hes also got some other cool stuff on his twitter, would recommend following him @310_progressive

Browsing twitter earlier, saw a tweet from 310 about new midscreen throw combos.

"中央投げ>KQV>HSQV>Sカス>ダッシュ5P弾き>HS生成>微ダ遠S>転移~"

Throw > KQV > HSQV > S Carcass > 66 5P > HS set >  ?? > ??

I don't understand Japanese so there was only so much I could gather from it. 微ダ遠S>転移~ I couldnt gather from google translate. 

He also some other cool stuff on his twitter, would recommend following @310_progressive

Using Jisho.org, what I can gather is that after the HS ball set, 微ダ遠 when broken up: 微 is Minuteness/Delicate/Insignificance and 遠 is Distant/Far.  So I'm presuming with the context that the katakana of "Da" is an abbreviation of "Dash" that 微ダ遠S is Micro-Dash Far S. 

転移 (read as てんい, te-n-i)  at the end means:

1: moving (with the times); changing (with the times);

2: metastasis;

3: transition (i.e. phase transition);

4: transfer (of learning);

5: transference (in psychoanalysis)

The individual kanji is: 転 = Change, Revolve, Turn Around; 移 = Catch (Cold, fire), Change, Drift, Move, Pass Into, Shift.

Dunno what he means by that, it's pretty ambiguous.  I'm presuming shifting phases into mix-up on oki or something like that.  Maybe teleport?  Looking at the Japanese Xrd website, the movelist uses similar kanji for teleport except it's 移軌 with 軌 meaning Model, Rut, Track, Wheel, Way of doing.  There are two other Kanji before it but I can't copy and paste it, and I'm too lazy to look up kanji by radicals on Jisho.

So I'm just presuming it's teleport at this point.  Hope that answers some.

Makes sense. If that's the case then it'll be similar to the current K,HS set, f.S teleport crossup setup with the added bonus of a moving pball. similar to a setup Eshii found from midscreen KQV.

Sounds pretty dope. I hope footage shows up soon on Nicovideo.  310 ends up on a lot of footage I've noticed (I think he's a Mikado player and they often upload footage) so hope he demonstrates that soon.

At 9:14ish in the recently uploaded Fino footage, K ball oki was successfully rejected on wakeup. ALL PREPARE FOR THE END TIMES. ABANDON SHIP. MAYDAY MAYDAY. WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST.

In all seriousness though, Venom looks a lot stronger now. QV charge creates interesting frame traps, stinger and CR getting charged when they hit set balls helps with neutral in ways I found surprising, and overall his oki seems no worse for wear than before. I'll just have to become more versatile than "oh I got a knockdown, set dat K ball!" Definitely going to analyze how Fino approaches knockdowns now.

Edit: dat gif oh my balls. I acually burst out laughing when I saw that.

Edit 2 to avoid doublepost: I saw Fino use a setup that I think would be good to start practicing now. It's this:

Stuff > 2D[1] xx P set xx auto teleport jK BH, SCR (probably only use this when they are in the corner) dash in for a mixup. Both the jK BH and the followup SCR give a grip of frame advantage while leaving you outside of reject range.

I also saw HS ball whiff j.S safejump oki get rejected in the little footage.

I got a lot of catching up to do lol. But yeah, from the tests, Venom is buffed character wise, but mechanics wise, we'll see how we get around (I don't think it's too big deal in the corner though).

Anyone know the final Dark Angel changes?

Told ya guys venom is kill.

Isnt Pball possible to c.S now? I was kinda hoping it would get in to possibly make our lives easier. I also appreciate the fact that collided balls can level up higher than 2 hits contrary to a claim during the loke tests.

In fairness, I think the possibility of blitz baiting into counter hit 2D combos will be a thing. You could set this up by feigning weakness by executing a badly timed K-ball oki. Counterhit 2D S-cr / new K-qv into combo of choice. It's not like K-ball oki into empty jump 2D is out of the norms anyway.

As for shithop runout, AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO THAT!

I believe 2S does hit P Ball, but it takes time for the P ball to move into position. It sadly seems you can't hit it with the fastest possible 214P > 2S timing...

I believe 2S does hit P Ball, but it takes time for the P ball to move into position. It sadly seems you can't hit it with the fastest possible 214P > 2S timing...

I seriously hope not. The old 2S ballhit relies on the hitstop of 2S being blocked for it to work. Not that I doubt the elevens knowing that.

That sequence was a lot better than Zidane's gif in raw practicality and usefulness imo. Also the next match showed it works with a 2 ball setup off a QV ender (the first sequence had 3 balls in BRO due to having one placed earlier, 2 balls make it a lot more practical compared to 3).

That sequence was a lot better than Zidane's gif in raw practicality and usefulness imo. Also the next match showed it works with a 2 ball setup off a QV ender (the first sequence had 3 balls in BRO due to having one placed earlier, 2 balls make it a lot more practical compared to 3).

yeah I didn't link that part because it doesn't demonstrate the block string part of it quite as well, but it's also hilarious to watch katsuyama try so hard to get out and get fukkkked

On that BRO lockdown Eshi posted:

I kind of expected low health damage scaling to impact the effectiveness of a setup like that a little more.

I guess you could say having balls is better than having guts.

Double post because it's been almost a week so why not.

New midscreen combo from the recent Sanma vid: 2K clS [3] xx SQV, 669jK jS jH jD 6H*

It did drop because the opponent was too high, but it could have been that it was on I-No so her weight left her too high for a followup. Perhaps if he delayed the gatling between jH and jD a little longer it would've worked. I'm really happy to see alternatives to the cut and dry clS to airdash combos.

Edit:

clS xx QV also acts as a fairly efficient burst bait. Because Venom crouches so low, he can actually go around bursts at some spacings making the usual pattern of "burst at the IAD" a bad idea for the opponent. (Done at around 29:08 in the latest link in the video thread for context)

This is not new. Been using it for a while( I play on and off) but I covered it in my last vid I made. It leads to 3 ball setups,which is more solid than regular oki and works best at corner.

Ends with f+his ball summon ofcourse. You can use sqv or hsqv

It might be more universal though with the fact QV knockback is basically nill.

It should work with KQV all the same. PQV was different in 1.0, but is standardized in 1.1 to the distance of the others.

Hi there guys.. i wanna ask... Does the changes in 1.1 effected his most important combos from ver we play now.. ??
I wanna pick him right now  ..But afraid of wasting hours in combos  doesn't work or not useful in ver 1.1

There are very few changes to his basic bnbs. Even his more complicated 1.1 stuff is still possible on some of the cast.

Honestly, if you're going to pick up Venom now, you can only stand to gain from it. Even if his combos did change drastically, the general mindset behind the character probably never will. Learning when and where to set balls and how to use them effectively is far more important than drilling any combo.