Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[Xrd 1.1] Venom gameplay discussion thread

I'd rather have 6K although I'm fine with both.

Considering Venom now has great (better!) combos from c.S(3), the purpose of 6K is pretty much gone.

I'd rather have one of the top 5 AA buttons and guaranteed 6P>6HS combo, but when I told Fino he just wanted to use AC 6P for Bishop stuff :P

I dunno, I wouldn't mind having a midscreen BnB that ends in 3 balls set. Or getting groundbounce into a full combo into oki off AA c.S.

If you could get 3 balls in would remain to be seen, but could be possible. It's quite excessive and I doubt they would do that though.

AA c.S into 6K would often whiff for me when I tried it, primarily the 3rd hit. 6K was limited by the height of your opponent in those cases.

yea, 6k had no invul just relatively fast start up and it hit at an odd angle so using it in AA combos would be weird and finicky i think, but yes you could do cool combos off c.s starter or 2k into c.s (3) standing and fun stuff with BR , lol

https://youtu.be/83HKh9cJ5XI

Top 8 for The Common Wealth, featuring myself and DBC at various points including grand finals (me vs VR Raiden). I'm the bumblebee Venom.

Awesome set man! One thing i noticed is in the corner you kept doing was the throw combo but you used S qv and the beat kept turning Grey that works on characters like Sol and sin but For venom and other characters the Kick qv actually combos on them.

The SQV combo works on Venom as well. My timing was just bad. If you delay the j.KSHD string slightly between hits, it'll work.

An idea has been tossed around on Twitter and I wanted to know if any of you guys would be interested. Novril proposed a Google doc "Venom cheat sheet" as a way to consolidate a lot of the tech floating around. The intention is for Venom players to update the doc as they run into useful tidbits on Youtube, Twitter, Nico, etc. and use it as a reference point. Basically it's for stuff that's too specific to go on the wiki and is at least mentioned here in the respective thread (IE a new setup would be posted in the setup thread along with the doc). Hopefully this will not only benefit existing Venom mains for ease of reference, but also lessen the burden on newcomers looking for what Venom is capable of in conjunction with the wiki. 

Thoughts? Would you guys be eager to contribute to a Google doc like this in an effort to grow and support the Venom army? Would it be a waste of time? Do you think it's the worst idea ever and anyone who supports such blasphemy should be burned at a stake made from pool cues? 

That's a great idea. Back when I played SF4, the Gen players had a thing for different crossup setups and things, and a similar doc for Venom players just for different tech as well as useful ball formations per character, or something, could be really, really useful.

An idea has been tossed around on Twitter and I wanted to know if any of you guys would be interested. Novril proposed a Google doc "Venom cheat sheet" as a way to consolidate a lot of the tech floating around. The intention is for Venom players to update the doc as they run into useful tidbits on Youtube, Twitter, Nico, etc. and use it as a reference point. Basically it's for stuff that's too specific to go on the wiki and is at least mentioned here in the respective thread (IE a new setup would be posted in the setup thread along with the doc). Hopefully this will not only benefit existing Venom mains for ease of reference, but also lessen the burden on newcomers looking for what Venom is capable of in conjunction with the wiki. 

Thoughts? Would you guys be eager to contribute to a Google doc like this in an effort to grow and support the Venom army? Would it be a waste of time? Do you think it's the worst idea ever and anyone who supports such blasphemy should be burned at a stake made from pool cues? 

I'd definitely help build up a Venom bible.

An idea has been tossed around on Twitter and I wanted ........

even though I´m a long time stalker - count me in 

-edit - shortened quote line 

I wasn't expecting unanimous support like this. Awesome, anyone who's interested send your gmail to @novriltataki on Twitter (or if you're still holding out on making a Twitter for whatever reason, DM it to me here and I'll forward it to him) and he can add you to the doc to edit.

Sent my email his way. Looking forward to having a group info dump

So everyone should be aware of this OS: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php/topic/10904-xrd-option-select-special-move-or-faultless-defence/

Now if someone can actually get Venom to apply it well, good job, but I want to give an alert on how it functions against Venom's projectiles.

If any projectile comes within the proximity range (about 1.5 round start distances, or within f.S range, but not max), the attack will trigger. In addition of course, if Venom presses a button within the range, the attack triggers (hence the point of the OS).

In terms of fighting it...that remains to be seen on how to apply...I may ask the Japanese Venom's after a few days for their thoughts on that matter...

There are times it'd prolly work well with Dark Angel, like landing after Ky combos ending in aerial VT. Either way, good to know of its existence.

So everyone should be aware of this OS: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php/topic/10904-xrd-option-select-special-move-or-faultless-defence/

Now if someone can actually get Venom to apply it well, good job, but I want to give an alert on how it functions against Venom's projectiles.

If any projectile comes within the proximity range (about 1.5 round start distances, or within f.S range, but not max), the attack will trigger. In addition of course, if Venom presses a button within the range, the attack triggers (hence the point of the OS).

In terms of fighting it...that remains to be seen on how to apply...I may ask the Japanese Venom's after a few days for their thoughts on that matter...

Well I guess that means that as long as you oki with a moving ball, they can't OS their DP. So there is that at least.

Well I guess that means that as long as you oki with a moving ball, they can't OS their DP. So there is that at least.

While true, still have to look out for the DP of course!

Did they change anything about HS mad struggle or is the frame-data on the wiki completely wrong? It says it's -8 on block after the flip but I can't for the love of god punish it with a 7f normal with Ram without instant-blocking it. I'm able to punish with Pot 2P which is 6f.

Should be right for that. It can get tricky to get the final hit on a standing character though? Hmmm

Final hit on standing characters...? DaiAndOh, I'm not sure what you mean.

I tested by setting the AI to do a HS mad struggle against me in the corner (to ensure as little spacing as possible), I also confirmed by recording that Ram 5K starts at 7f at maxrange.

At least from the testing I've done so far I would conclude that HS mad struggle is -6 on block, not -8. If this is not the case something else is making this move basically unpunishable against Ram unless she FD-blocks so the last hits of mad struggle whiffs.

Final hit on standing characters...? DaiAndOh, I'm not sure what you mean.

I tested by setting the AI to do a HS mad struggle against me in the corner (to ensure as little spacing as possible), I also confirmed by recording that Ram 5K starts at 7f at maxrange.

At least from the testing I've done so far I would conclude that HS mad struggle is -6 on block, not -8. If this is not the case something else is making this move basically unpunishable against Ram unless she FD-blocks so the last hits of mad struggle whiffs.

Ok I just checked an additional source, and it has it at -6. Will update! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLI6KFcuPKRMJydrWQSRS8OYJom-qq4XxJtyQp2YH7I/edit#gid=1031651675

Cool, where is that google docs from? It's still not entirely 100%, Ram 5K is 7f but that doc states its 8f. :P

Cool, where is that google docs from? It's still not entirely 100%, Ram 5K is 7f but that doc states its 8f. :P

It was compiled from the 4gamer release of frame data in 1.0, I don't think it was updated since.

Incidentally, the dustloop frame data page had HS MS at -6, it was the guide page that had it wrong, again, sorry about the trouble.

And yeah, GodPress is right. I wish we did have 1.1 frame data, but I have updated the guide with 1.1 descriptions.