Ichipoo

Monitor Discussion Thread

Ever since Dustloop has added a Hardware subforum, I've been thinking about making a thread for monitor discussion where users can discuss what monitors they've bought and used, their experiences with it, etc. One of the main reasons why I decided to make this thread is so that it may hopefully help people who are thinking about what monitor to buy make a more informed decision thanks to peoples' personal testimonies in this thread since sometimes, just looking at data from Display Lag may not be enough to convince you, sometimes you need to read/listen to the opinions and experiences of others. Maybe you may need to play on the actual monitor(s) in order to see if the monitor you're thinking to buy is the one you want which was the case for me.

Also, please remember that Response Time =/= Display Lag.

If any of the admin(s) and/or mod(s) don't find this thread helpful then feel free to close and/or delete it.

Oh wow, just noticed today that this thread was Sticky'd, I'm glad the admin(s) and/or mod(s) saw this useful enough to warrant it. Hope it continues to be helpful to you all! :yaaay:

HELPFUL PLACE TO START
http://www.displaylag.com/

MONITORS THAT DUSTLOOP MEMBERS HAVE USED

ASUS MX279H
Owned by: @Ichipoo, @Airk, @tokin fuyou

BenQ RL2455HM
Owned by: @BladeOfJustice7, @iBeK3n, @Tigre

BenQ RL2460HT (New EVO monitor)
Owned by: @4r5

ASUS VH236H (Old EVO monitor; discontinued)
Owned by: @Anne

Dell U2413

Owned by: @qwerty

ASUS VX238H 

Owned by: @Ctrlaltwtf

Since I'm the one who made the thread, I'll start off by talking about the very first monitor that I bought, which is the ASUS MX279H

B5wZAfmCAAAud1T.jpg

Regular retail price is $300 while most "standard" fighting game monitors are only like $130 at most I hear? I'm not sure to be honest. Just the thought of a monitor being $300 may hurt just by seeing the price but there's a pretty good reason for the price. For starters, the screen is bigger than most "standard" fighting game monitors as the MX279H is 27" while the latter is only 23" IIRC. In addition to this, after playing countless times on this monitor, and the monitors at my local venue, San Diego Saltmines, I've noticed a significant difference in image quality between this monitor and the rest. The MX279H's display looks "sharper" and has more "color" to it, which makes 2D fighting games look much nicer to look at, specific ones being P4U2 and UNIEL as the colors just look much more vibrant. Because of its sharper image and its noticeable size, the MX279H also makes a decent monitor to watch TV and movies on. Also, while not really important, the MX279H looks aesthetically pleasing compared to other monitors, the most significant features being its sleek chrome look and the fact that it's borderless.

Last but not least, and obviously the most important feature of this monitor is the input lag. According to Display Lag, this monitor has 9ms of input lag, which makes it tied with LG's 27EA33V, and both monitors are ranked 1st on their site in terms of input lag (and size).

So is this monitor right for you? In my opinion, if you don't mind shelling out a few extra dollars for it then go for it, especially if you're going to be using this monitor for more than just FGs. My advice to you is to get yours on Amazon in order to save money, as more often than not, they sell theirs at a discounted price and right now it's being sold at $249.99 and last time I checked, it was being sold for $260-$270. As for me, I got mine last Black Friday for only $200 so I saved myself a decent amount of money. :eng101:

Alternatively, if you want to save yourself a couple of bucks and don't mind the size, then you could always get its smaller counterpart.

TL;DR

PROS

-Lowest input lag at 9ms, arguably the best monitor in terms of input lag according to Display Lag

-Has a larger screen. (27")

-Sharper image and colors look more vibrant than most monitors; 2D FGs look really nice on it!

-Larger screen & sharper image means it doubles as a decent TV to watch shows and movies

-Design looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye

CONS

-More expensive than most monitors ($300 at retail price)

-Bigger size means its heavier, which could be a problem if you decide to bring this to events?

Well I hope this post was helpful to anyone! I fell in love with this monitor the first time I played on it when ATLUS brought it over at West Coast Warzone 4 last September for their P4U2 booth and I knew that this was the monitor for me to buy as I wasn't entirely sure which monitor to get at the time.

Since you have a section on monitors owned by dustloop members here's me and ibek3n's monitor: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007HSKSMI

OSD is kinda complicated, I prefer Asus' OSD navigation system more. Otherwise amazing monitor's "eye-care" system and two HDMI ports, VGA, and DVI inputs make up for it. Love the monitor honestly and it usually has cheap prices and will arrive at your door in under 3 days with amazon.ca at the very least. I think Ken would say the same thing :)

I got this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORJRQ/
BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch

Has an HDMI output port. Great for hooking up recording equipment without adding additional display lag. I wish all tournaments used this for their streaming/recording setups.

It's in the first post of the thread, but here it is again since you missed it:  http://www.displaylag.com/

One troubling thing when it comes to buying TVs is that sometimes the same model of TV might be manufactured at multiple locations with different parts.  I remember that a few years back there was a popular model of a Samsung TV that had good display lag for the time, but only if you got one that had the screen manufactured by Sharp.  There was no way to check online if you were going to order one... the best thing to do was to find a store that stocked them, then visit them in-person to check the boxes for a secondary number to see which factory it came from.  If at all possible, you'd probably want to test TVs if you're going to buy one.

As far as I know this kind of problem hasn't come up with ASUS or BenQ monitors.

I got this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORJRQ/

BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch

Has an HDMI output port. Great for hooking up recording equipment without adding additional display lag. I wish all tournaments used this for their streaming/recording setups.

Funny thing is that before falling for the ASUS MX279H, I was considering getting a BenQ. The only things that turned me off was how the colors were displayed and how the audio left a bit to be desired but that's just me being nitpicky. Other than that, I heard lots of good things about the BenQ and how it's sort of shilled as a 'pure' gaming monitor?

Are we talking about TVs here as well?

I guess we could, don't see why not.

I use the ASUS VH236H. The old Evo mointor. Pretty self explanatory, pretty cheap and solid, but they aren't manufactured anymore.

I too have the ASUS MX279H and I'm very pleased with it, though it took some messing around to get colors I was happy with for PC use (I use it for both the PC and also for the PS3 when I'm playing games where timing matters.) 

Also, I had one weird issue once where it stopped detecting the PS3 (I'd select HDMI2 and get a black screen) but if I remember right, turning off the power to the monitor and powering it up again fixed that.

I use the ASUS VH236H. The old Evo mointor. Pretty self explanatory, pretty cheap and solid, but they aren't manufactured anymore.

Oh really? What's the new "EVO Monitor" now?

I too have the ASUS MX279H and I'm very pleased with it, though it took some messing around to get colors I was happy with for PC use (I use it for both the PC and also for the PS3 when I'm playing games where timing matters.)

Also, I had one weird issue once where it stopped detecting the PS3 (I'd select HDMI2 and get a black screen) but if I remember right, turning off the power to the monitor and powering it up again fixed that.

Oh nice! Another fellow MX279H owner! Just curious but what color settings do you use?

And I also ran into that problem too. Kind of freaked out a bit but I managed to troubleshoot it myself and fixed the problem. I should probably mention that on the second post of the thread in order to notify people who may be interested in ordering one.

I have a BenQ RL2455HM, it's got a nice picture and has red stripes like a race car. Sound is a bit crap but honestly that's how it always is with this sort of monitor. The two HDMI ports is a great feature.

I have the MX279H as well. HDMI glitches aside (I found two), I really like this thing. It's my first HD display; I've been using CRT all this time for everything.

I have a Dell U2413. The only review I've found that tested lag was this one, and it measures 9ms total lag in game mode.

I use it as my primary display and play all kinds of games on it, and I have yet to feel as if it wasn't responsive enough. Plus, it looks phenomenal.

I'm really glad that this thread exists. I've been looking into making the switch from big ol' HDTV, to a (nearly) lag free monitor. After reading through your posts, I went and looked into the ASUS MX279H, and the ASUS VS278Q-P. If I understand correctly they both come with built in speakers. One question I have is, how is the quality of the speakers/sound in ASUS monitors compared to a standard HDTV? I'd like to use it for other things not related to FGs.

I'm really glad that this thread exists. I've been looking into making the switch from big ol' HDTV, to a (nearly) lag free monitor. After reading through your posts, I went and looked into the ASUS MX279H, and the ASUS VS278Q-P. If I understand correctly they both come with built in speakers. One question I have is, how is the quality of the speakers/sound in ASUS monitors compared to a standard HDTV? I'd like to use it for other things not related to FGs.

I'm not sure if I'm right on this but more often than not, I think a standard HDTV's speakers is usually better than a monitor. And while I can't speak for all ASUS monitors, the MX279H comes with 32 mm diameter speakers which is better than most monitors I believe and it sounds great from my experience (I should stop being lazy and add this bit on my second post). And of course, you can always buy speakers for your monitor if you're not happy with the speakers it came with or simply want better sound.

I'm not sure if I'm right on this but more often than not, I think a standard HDTV's speakers is usually better than a monitor. And while I can't speak for all ASUS monitors, the MX279H comes with 32 mm diameter speakers which is better than most monitors I believe and it sounds great from my experience (I should stop being lazy and add this bit on my second post). And of course, you can always buy speakers for your monitor if you're not happy with the speakers it came with or simply want better sound.

Yeah that is very true. I think I'll take the plunge and buy the ASUS VS278Q-P (1 ms of lag?). If it turns out the speakers are whatever, I'll go buy some better ones. Thanks for the Insight.

Yeah that is very true. I think I'll take the plunge and buy the ASUS VS278Q-P (1 ms of lag?). If it turns out the speakers are whatever, I'll go buy some better ones. Thanks for the Insight.

Display Lag says it has 10 ms of lag, not 1, but 10 ms is still satisfactory (I think the "EVO" monitor has 10 ms of lag as well) so there's nothing wrong with getting that monitor if that's the one you truly want.

I use the ASUS VX238H, basically the natural successor to the "EVO monitor", 10ms lag (less than a frame), standard monitor great for FGs and gaming in general.

To build on what Nemesis mentioned, that "Response Time" thing you see advertised on monitors a lot isn't related to display lag. Response Time is just the measurement of how long it takes a pixel to change on a screen. Display Lag is how long it takes for input to affect the frame being drawn on the screen.

Display Lag says it has 10 ms of lag, not 1, but 10 ms is still satisfactory
Ah your right. I was looking at the response time of the monitor (1 ms), not the input lag. It did confuse me when I checked it on Display Lag and saw 10 ms. Thanks.

The volume doesn't get that loud at max on the MX279H, but the sound quality is fairly good. The Bang & Olufsen speakers aren't bad at all. The only reason I would consider external speakers is if I want the sound to be louder or want to point it in another direction.

I haven't had the chance to post in this topic but I NEED a new monitor!

Right now I am relying on an old 17inch Benq that is mostly for PS2 display via Composite S-Video.

I want a monitor that displays High def, PS2 def, and PC display all in one, so I can finally play my PS3 BlazBlue games in high def (I never got the chance to do this since owning those games...)

Also I'd like something that lets me hook up my PSP to the monitor as well.

An all-in-one you could say.

Does such a thing (with a reasonable price) even exist?

P.S. does anyone have Tate mode for vertical shootemups?  I'd love one for HD Ikaruga someday.

Other than that, I heard lots of good things about the BenQ and how it's sort of shilled as a 'pure' gaming monitor?

Found my way back to this topic. Hi, are you asking a question? Ya, it's precisely 'shilled' as a 'gaming' monitor because it is a gaming monitor. The HDMI-out is so you can hook up recording equipment without adding extra display lag. Not many other markets care about a couple tenths of a millisecond added to their visuals.

P.S. does anyone have Tate mode for vertical shootemups?  I'd love one for HD Ikaruga someday.

The BenQ that I use, the stand that it comes with is tate-able. Dunno about the other stuff you want. It's inputs are HDMI, DVI, and VGA.