Ichipoo

Monitor Discussion Thread

Right now my current monitor has:

D-Sub (My PC uses this)

DVI-D

S-Video

Composite (My PS2/PS3/Gamecube use this, depending on which monster cable I am using).

It has no HDMI to speak of, BlazBlue gets "black bars" above and below it when I play on it.  PS2 Accent Core displays okay, though it's not in Progressive mode at all.

How do you guys and anyone else like the BenQ RL2455HM? Is the ghosting and motion blur nonexistent or as good as the EVO monitors or better?

How do you guys and anyone else like the BenQ RL2455HM? Is the ghosting and motion blur nonexistent or as good as the EVO monitors or better?

I just switched to this monitor 2 weeks ago. Previously I used an Asus VW246H, which is like the VH236H Evo monitor except it's bigger and has built-in speakers.

The motion blur and ghosting is noticeably worse than my old monitor. The anti-motion blur feature is called AMA on Benq monitors and the RL2455HM has 3 settings for AMA: Off, High, and Premium. The ghosting produced by setting AMA to High is very noticeable when playing 2D games or scrolling through text in my browser. Setting it to Premium makes the problem even worse. When playing 3D games, however, the ghosting isn't as bad. I've been playing Xrd and Bloodborne on my new monitor and haven't been bothered by ghosting. I'll probably keep the AMA set to High because I hate motion blur more than I hate ghosting.

One nice thing about my new monitor is the LED backlighting. Monitors from the time of the Evo monitor didn't have LED backlighting and the uneven lighting was very noticeable. I probably won't go back to my old monitor because of that but if I find a good deal on a modern Asus monitor I might switch to that.

I just switched to this monitor 2 weeks ago. Previously I used an Asus VW246H, which is like the VH236H Evo monitor except it's bigger and has built-in speakers.

The motion blur and ghosting is noticeably worse than my old monitor. The anti-motion blur feature is called AMA on Benq monitors and the RL2455HM has 3 settings for AMA: Off, High, and Premium. The ghosting produced by setting AMA to High is very noticeable when playing 2D games or scrolling through text in my browser. Setting it to Premium makes the problem even worse. When playing 3D games, however, the ghosting isn't as bad. I've been playing Xrd and Bloodborne on my new monitor and haven't been bothered by ghosting. I'll probably keep the AMA set to High because I hate motion blur more than I hate ghosting.

One nice thing about my new monitor is the LED backlighting. Monitors from the time of the Evo monitor didn't have LED backlighting and the uneven lighting was very noticeable. I probably won't go back to my old monitor because of that but if I find a good deal on a modern Asus monitor I might switch to that.

Thanks, that's a shame the ghosting and blur is worse than your old monitor, guess I'll be sticking to CRT until LCD gets better(maybe in 2018) :AB:

Most PC monitors have 10 ms of lag

Amongst the ones I could test myself (4 different models so far), none had more than this anyway.

Models are : Samsung SyncMaster P2450

AOC E2370 S

Iiyama ProLite E2273HDS

Iiyama ProLite 2483HS

This is because on PC screens (the cheapest ones at least), the image is displayed raw (no post-treatment), hence there is no additional lag

All of them were tested with Leo Bodnar lag tester, which is afaik, the most relialable device on the market to lag test a screen

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

These two databases are good enough I believe to know which screen is good or not

Maybe useless post, but why not.

I'm in Japan and I bought this thing 

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Princeton-%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%B3-%E7%99%BD%E8%89%B2LED%E3%83%90%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC%E6%B6%B2%E6%99%B6%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A4-21-5%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%81%E3%83%AF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89-PTFBKF-22W/dp/B00GP89G88

the Princeton PTFBKF-22W. I'm cheap, and it was only 15,000 yen (tax included). I felt like it was a bad risk and was wondering why I let myself waste $150ish on an untested monitor, but super luckily it works really well for fighting games. I mean, I THINK it does, I don't really know the specs. But the first thing I did was fire up 3rd Strike, and do Makoto's 98% stun combo, and I got it on my first try. For reference, I can do that combo consistently on my old ASUS monitor, but I screw it up every time in the arcade version. Doesn't necessarily mean the monitor is fantastic, but it's definitely usable. Picture quality isn't great, colors look a little drab, gets a little blurry when things move really fast (just a little bit). Pretty solid for the price, I think. My Japanese isn't good enough to read the 2 star review, but it seems like it's mostly complaining that there's no head phone jack...

Compared to my roommates TV in the living room, I tried to simple cancel Makoto HP into qcf P, and I screwed that up. So...I'm happy with the monitor, is basically all I'm saying. Maybe someone can come in here and tell me it's actually not good. Here's the product page. http://www.princeton.co.jp/product/ptfwkf22w.html

[edit] my copy pasting seems to have made the font all weird. meh.

Display Lag doesn't seem to have Princeton monitors on their site (this is the first time I've heard of them) even though they have apparently updated their database. Personally, at the end of the day, if you're able to play on the monitor just fine with little to no execution errors, then by all means, feel free to play on it

Yeah, I've only seen them in Japan. Definitely an off brand. But when I was in college, the dorm manager guy let me borrow a Princeton monitor, and I was able to play BB and VF on it with no issues that I noticed; compared to the TV in the common room, which wasn't unbearable, but had just a hint of lagginess. Different model though so I was still taking a stupid risk. Not sure what model the other one was, but I looked at a picture I took of my room that the monitor was visible in, and you could tell they weren't exactly the same.

So no I finally got an ASUS 22 Inch Monitor...

I was wondering if it's normal for the PS3 version of GGXrd to look like it was "drawn in pixel crayons" (the smaller detailed lines on 3D models don't look as crisp) in High Def?  Things like glow effects and background or dark areas get really pixelly.

Maybe this isn't the right place for this question, but I've found no answers anywhere else and I'm getting a little desperate. 

I have an Asus MX279 monitor, obtained with the intent to play dem fite'n gaems on it. It's decent enough for that purpose, only problem is it completely refuses to display anything via HDMI. VGA works, but that's useless for my PS3 and laptop, the two things I wanted this monitor for in the first place. I can get the PS3 working if I hold down the power button to reset the display settings, but I have to do that every time I turn the thing on and it's tedious as shit. The laptop's a no-go no matter what I do.

I know this ain't no tech support forum, but any help would be super rad.

So the HDMI port works, but only when you reset your PS3 settings?  I'm not sure why the settings aren't saved when you turn it off, but try manually changing it in the PS3's display settings to see if that does it.

I don't have a laptop so I've never tried setting one to output to HDMI, but I'm pretty sure you do it through [Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution].  Hit detect, it should pick up the monitor, then tell it to display to the monitor instead of its own screen.

Or are you using a VGA adapter to run your PS3 on or some crazy shit?  I mean, you said it refuses to display via HDMI, but then you said the PS3 works when you reset the video settings, so it's a little confusing.  If the HDMI flat out doesn't work it might be defective and need to be returned.  If you can get it to display via HDMI then it's most likely user error, so start with my suggestions and if they don't help come give us more info so we can try something else.

Oh, nah, I'm using a regular-ass HDMI cable for everything, I guess I did word that a bit confusingly.

I figured out the problem has something to do with some HDMI/HDCP handshaking bullshit. The PS3 works about 90 percent of the time if I turn everything on in a very specific order, so that's "better", I guess. I'll tinker with the laptop some more to see if I can get anything out of it. So far it doesn't even show the monitor in the control panel.

Oh, nah, I'm using a regular-ass HDMI cable for everything, I guess I did word that a bit confusingly.

I figured out the problem has something to do with some HDMI/HDCP handshaking bullshit. The PS3 works about 90 percent of the time if I turn everything on in a very specific order, so that's "better", I guess. I'll tinker with the laptop some more to see if I can get anything out of it. So far it doesn't even show the monitor in the control panel.

My PS3 has the same problem.  It probably has to do with not turning on fast enough or spinning up the hard drive fast enough to read settings.  I have a decently new hard drive in my PS3 and it still sometimes fails to read that it's there and I have to restart it.  Same deal with video settings.

I might be getting an ASUS ROG swift or an ACER Predator monitor eventually, right now I am using an old LG monitor as my primary display and a very old visio tv as my 2ed display (I know, I need to upgrade)

So glad this thread is a thing! Im gonna buy a PS4 soon and this issue about getting a set that wont have any noticeable issues with input lag sure is killing me. Since it is for my room it cant be anything bigger than 24" and in my country they have stopped selling small TVs, currently you can only get second handed ones.

A shop nearby is selling  AOC TV the model is LE24W234 and I dont know what to do, some folks have told me they have no issues with their AOC TVs while playing PS4 but they dont play fighting games  so I dont know how much I should relly on their opinions, especially because apparently this model doesnt have a "gaming" mode.

Other options I am considering are some AOC monitors; M2470SWH, 23 I2369v, E2270swn, M2470swh

If anyone knows about how any of these perform I'd appreaciate the help. I would also like to know how much input lag starts to hinder the fighting game experience.

Sorry for making the post too long and thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, fruits_punch95 said:

So glad this thread is a thing! Im gonna buy a PS4 soon and this issue about getting a set that wont have any noticeable issues with input lag sure is killing me. Since it is for my room it cant be anything bigger than 24" and in my country they have stopped selling small TVs, currently you can only get second handed ones.

A shop nearby is selling  AOC TV the model is LE24W234 and I dont know what to do, some folks have told me they have no issues with their AOC TVs while playing PS4 but they dont play fighting games  so I dont know how much I should relly on their opinions, especially because apparently this model doesnt have a "gaming" mode.

Other options I am considering are some AOC monitors; M2470SWH, 23 I2369v, E2270swn, M2470swh

If anyone knows about how any of these perform I'd appreaciate the help. I would also like to know how much input lag starts to hinder the fighting game experience.

Sorry for making the post too long and thanks in advance.

No worries, my brother just got his 32" BenQ monitor and he's loving it, but he had to give me his ASUS PB238Q, due to the major size difference, and i'm loving it right now (I'm actually rocking a triple monitor setup as we speak), but I've personally never used AOC monitors, but I can look into it if you want me to.

Sorry, forgot I posted here to ask, I ended up not getting any of those models so I might as well tell you all about the monitor I got. I got an ASUS VP228H. Im very satisfied with it, 1ms response time and a very low input lag ideal for fighting games (10ms according to DisplayLag database. Very recommended.

Buying my monitor this week. I'll be picking up either the Asus VX238H or the VX228H, depending on the price difference come friday. Now that I'm trying to start back playing more again since REV2 is coming out next month, I'll hopefully remember to come back and speak on my impressions of the monitor.

If I do forget and you wanna know, I'll always respond via Twitter DMs.