Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlazBlueBattleCards

BlazBlue: Battle Cards™ - Collectible Card Fighter

Hey everyone, it's Rob from Metaversal Studios.  I wanted to start this thread to let you know that we've been developing BlazBlue: Battle Cards™ and it will be released in the near future, starting out on the App Store.  We've been working closely with Arc System Works and Aksys Games to create a quality BlazBlue mobile game that feels both like a card battler and a fighting game.  I'll be posting more updates as we get closer to release so please let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

Cheers!

-Rob 

1z6dyjs.png

BlazBlue: Battle Cards™ Pre-Launch Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk-zq8UgsIA

Info

Developer: Metaversal Studios / Alliance Digital Media 

Platform: iOS (iPad)

Price: Free (with Purchasable Card Packs)
Tweets:Twitter.com/WeMakeGames

Description

BlazBlueBattle Cards™ is an officially licensed digital card game based on Arc System Works / Aksys Games popular 2D fighting game series, BlazBlue. Capturing the epic intensity of both card battlers, and fighting games, players can choose from 9 uniquely customizable fighters and unleash devastating attacks online, in real-time, against opponents around the world.BlazBlueBattle Cards™ will be launching on the App Store soon and will be available for download on the iPad.

Features

• Deep card-based gameplay that captures the epic intensity of BlazBlue.

• A roster of 9 fan-favorite BlazBlue fighters; Azrael, Bang, Hakumen, Hazama, Jin, Noel, Ragna, Tager, and Taokaka.

• Collect cards that include; attacks, defenses, counters, projectiles, specials and more.

• Customizable card decks for creating the ultimate BlazBlue fighter.

• Real-time online battles and leaderboards.

• Official artwork and music from BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

• Free to play, with the option to purchase card packs to collect even more fighting moves.

• Post-launch content updates including additional iconic BlazBlue fighters.

We are looking into supporting more devices and platforms. There isn't anything official to announce at the moment but discussions are ongoing.

Does that include the potential for a release on the PS Vita platform? Not all of us have smart phones and tablets.

Does that include the potential for a release on the PS Vita platform? Not all of us have smart phones and tablets.

Anything is possible at this point. We are launching on iPad and then we'll get a better feel for where it should end up next after that happens. I'll be sure to post an update as soon as there's anything to share.

Did I ever mention how much I like card fighting games?

Hope this comes to Android soon, even better if it gets Bullet by then.

Should we consider any of the card names as canon?

What I mean is that certain cards have names to them that haven't been stated anywhere else. Like Bang's gauntlets being called Shishigami Gauntlets, and Ragna's 6D being called Rising Souls.

It'd be really awesome if it's canon!

Looks cool. It all makes sense if you ask me. Still sad that there's no Makoto deck yet.

I wonder what 4 seals do in this game.

So this game is only out (?) in the Australian iTunes at the moment, I've been playing it for quite a bit and overall the battle system is pretty nice and really fun! I have to applaud the developers for really capturing the true essence of these characters and so faithfully translating their unique gameplay mechanics into such a vastly different medium. That being said . . . perhaps they did too good a job, as I definitely feel like there are some balance issues that need to be addressed in future revisions (not going to elaborate in this post, want to get REALLY familiar with the game first). As for the game structure outside of combat, well . . . it is a bit less well designed . . .

The fact that there is no single player (vs CPU, not expecting a story campaign or anything lol) or practice options for testing out decks on your own really sucks (especially since some characters have abilities which greatly alter the very basics of how you're taught the game, so it can be difficult to just jump right into certain characters). This might be less of an issue when this game is more widely available, but [the powers that be forbid] if the user base isn't quite as high as they are expecting and it ends up with a less than consistent consistent stream play, then the issue of only allowing online player battles will stick out greater and hinder the game's growth. Also, as "Ranked" is pretty much the only option, this might deter casual players who just want to have fun without the pressure scoring systems bring. It would also be nice to be able to play with specific friends whenever you want too.

As this is a free-to-play game, I'm sure everyone is wondering how the economy (what you can get out before shelling out) will work out, especially since the very nature of a card game is predicated on the acquisition of new/duplicate cards. This is probably the game's biggest weakness. They offer "daily quest" in the form of "Bounties" (the initial ones granting you access to more characters/decks) and completing these can net you good chunks of in-game currency, but of course they are very limited and you'll likely only buy 1 booster pack (for reference, they cost 200 pts each) a day off of these. This is really brought into perspective when you realize the game practically only rewards victory as you get NOTHING for losing a match and only a tiny sliver (5 pts) for winning. This is another point where I feel like more casual players (which, let's be honest, will make up the bulk of most games) will be discouraged as the game doesn't feel like it is rewarding you just for learning. But the real issue with the economy vs content is put into perspective once you realize that starter decks (again, unlocked quickly as your initial sets of bounties) come with a large majority of the unique cards in the game (you'll probably end up missing about 5~7) and you're only fishing for the universal cards, but even with those there isn't a hefty amount to collect (about 20~40). So at the moment the collection and customization aspect aren't the biggest but it means the game feels rather "complete" without having to pay too much mind to the [admittedly, in future releases if left as is] poor economy and limited play options.

This game will live or die on 2 major factors: spread of word-of-mouth (which, with limited platform options, causes an immediate issue) and how quickly new content can be added.

So, uhhh there are 2 bugs I've encountered in this game so far, 1 is completely harmless and I wasn't even going to mention it, but the other one is big and pretty much screws you over for the rest of the match.

1. Ragna's Hidden theme

So this game has music select just like in the traditional fighter, once you select your character the menu default to that character's theme (there's a random option but not an auto option like in the fighter, something to think about? Anyways.) If you pick anyone besides Ragna and cycle through the themes using the left (Previous) button, Rebellion II will not appear in the menu despite being the first song. It will go Lust SIN II and then straight to random. You can use the right (Next) button to pass by random and select and Rebellion II like normal, so the game doesn't prevent you from choosing it, just a small oversight. Nothing big.

2. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Draw From X Deck

So certain cards allow you to draw from the top of one of your decks and play the card if it is of a certain type. If it is the correct kind of card the effect goes through and game play proceeds like normal, as expected. HOWEVER if the card is NOT the correct type, the card will go back to your deck and you will be able to see what the revealed card is, but you CANNOT draw from that deck from the remainder of the game! This is a clear error as no card states you are forbidden from drawing from the deck should the effect fail, and being locked out of one of your decks can be a HUGE issue, especially if it is your Repertoire (where a majority of your cards are drawn from). I've lost to and beaten people solely because of this bug, as one cannot competently defend themselves, and it's a bad feeling. That needs to be patched ASAP!

So apparently the wide spread release is this Thursday, I just hope they at least address that 1 game busting issue . . .

So they had an update earlier today:

- Fixed the game breaking bug in my earlier post (the Ragna theme one still persists lol)

- Altered the names of Duck Under and Jump out to Duck and Jump respectively, also gave both a new effect when played normally, this makes them a bit more versatile (decent buff).

- Altered the card "Counter Assault" to now let you counter an attack (after a successful guard) ending that turn and granting you control of combat next turn (before you simply ended the turn but control went back to the opponent. This is a GREAT buff as the card is more practical and worth its high cost)

Hey everyone - thanks for all the feedback and comments! We do read them all and take into consideration everything that is posted!

I also wanted to let you know that BlazBlue: Battle Cards is now available for download in the US! Check it out and let us know what you think!

Download BlazBlue: Battle Cards:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blazblue-battle-cards/id947007851?mt=8

You can also check out the Official Launch Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JDBmYwe5s

Hey Dustloop, I'm lead designer on BlazBlue:Battle Cards (long time lurker, first time poster!). I just want you all to know that the mountains of frame data, video archives, and gameplay discussions here were an invaluable resource to us during the development of the card game. I'm certain it would have been impossible to do the BB characters justice without your dedication to the series. And we still have a huge crowd of characters waiting to make their way into your hands!

As SolxBaiken pointed out, we addressed a pretty savage bug in our latest server update as well as pushed a few cards off the bottom of the barrel in terms of power-level.  We'll be continuing to add features and address balance issues as this crazy train rolls out of the station.  If you'd like to stay on top of the latest design news and updates, I'll be tweeting about it wherever possible @whhthe2

Yeah, amazing to see you guys getting the ball rolling. I'd love to support but iPad isn't really in my realm, sitting tight!

I've been having fun with this game, surely I admit a friend system will definitely be interesting tosee, though I admit the random matches can be fun if I look past infuriating losses (ragna be damned XD)

I've been having fun with this game, surely I admit a friend system will definitely be interesting tosee, though I admit the random matches can be fun if I look past infuriating losses (ragna be damned XD)

Happy to hear you're having fun with BBBC! A friend system is definitely something we also want in the game! More news to come...