Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dingo_Egret

How to do Fuzzy Jump by dgr_maneater.

Hi everyone!. I will try to explain myself the better I can about this. I know you surely know how to perform fuzzy jump because LordKnight explains it in his blog. However, I thought that it would be interesting to share with you the version of fuzzy jump that we know, thanks to Dogura_san who came to Spain for the Sonic Boom tournament and showed us how to do it.

Well, as you know, the main idea of fuzzy jump is blocking a few amount of frames, avoiding throws, command grabs and overheads. The inputs of this option select are:

1A+B>1A+B+C>4A+B>7A+B>1A+B

1. Blocking few amount of frames.

2. Blocking or teching a possible green throw.

3. Blocking  an overhead.

4. Jumping throws and command grabs (sometimes overheads depending on the blockstun or the fast you do the OS).

5. If jumping is not available due to a massive blockstun, go back to 1A+B immediately and repeat the sequence again if the situation requires it.

The issue of this OS is that you can vary the timing of the sequence depending on the situations and character blockstrings in order to avoid different stuff.

Of course, this maneuver has some withdraws, for instance, purple throws and delayed strings. A delayed fuzzy jump can supply these situations. Besides, there are some characters that don’t care about fuzzy jump for example Arakune (during curse), Rachel (sometimes) or Kokonoe.

I hope this can help someone and of course if you see mistakes in my post don’t hesitate to correct me because my English is horrid J.

Regards.

This is very interesting. And you said this has been mentioned before? I wonder how long it has existed.

How fast of inputs are we talking here? Does it all have to be executed in less than 5 frames for example. How frequently does one need to use it in a blockstring, or does that come with character knowledge? But if there is a general amount id love to know.

Better yet is there a video example from your tournament? I realize I may be asking a lot given this may be a new concept to you as well, but this sounds really... I dunno, not broken, but it definitely looks like waking up in any asw game with no dp is going to be a lot more fun.

It's been mentioned for a while now by players like LK. At least since last EVO and I remember some random tidbits about it before that.

It's by no means invincible, it's just another thing to bait for. But if they don't bait it they get wrecked. Also it's very execution intensive.

Now that I look at the inputs, even though I know it works, I don't understand: shouldn't putting 1A+B make for a TRM? You can put in 1A+B+C if you expect a throw next, but you already input A+B earlier.

Damn, been sitting at a table sipping on the loony tea for far too long it seems. Of the hundreds of videos I likely watched in the past year I wouldn't be able to point it out if it hit me in the face. Then again, Japan top players has always been rather good at blocking.

Or have they...!?

This is very interesting. And you said this has been mentioned before? I wonder how long it has existed.

How fast of inputs are we talking here? Does it all have to be executed in less than 5 frames for example. How frequently does one need to use it in a blockstring, or does that come with character knowledge? But if there is a general amount id love to know.

Better yet is there a video example from your tournament? I realize I may be asking a lot given this may be a new concept to you as well, but this sounds really... I dunno, not broken, but it definitely looks like waking up in any asw game with no dp is going to be a lot more fun. 

As far I know, the concept of Fuzzy Jump is old but nobody care about it since this guy came to Spain and we asked him about this OS (I only knew the theory but not the practical use of this). This OS requires knowledge of the character blockstring in order to be useful, if not, it does not work properly. In terms of execution, depends on the blockstring of the characters so I cannot say exactly how fast you need to do this because as you said, this concept is new for me and I am experimenting with it yet.  Dogura-san put Ragna's dummy doing different blockstrings randomly:

3C(knockdown)>2A>6B

3C(knockdown)>2A>2B

3C(knockdown)>2A>green throw

3C(knockdown)>2A>gauntlet hades

If you are able to avoid these 4 situations you will be performing a correct fuzzy jump. Unfortunately, I don't have a video of him explaining this to us, but I can show you the Winner Finals of the tournament and If you pay attention you will see him avoiding stuff with this. But, I think a better example is the EVO finals against Galileo.

It's been mentioned for a while now by players like LK. At least since last EVO and I remember some random tidbits about it before that.

It's by no means invincible, it's just another thing to bait for. But if they don't bait it they get wrecked. Also it's very execution intensive.

Now that I look at the inputs, even though I know it works, I don't understand: shouldn't putting 1A+B make for a TRM? You can put in 1A+B+C if you expect a throw next, but you already input A+B earlier.

If you input 1A+B you won't get a TRM so if they try to throw you after that, with the 1A+B+C input you will tech the throw.

How could anyone forget that evo match? How can I be so blind! Thanks a million, kind sir.

I've been wondering how fuzzy jumps applied to this game, thanks for clarifying things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This long set made me realize it : https://youtu.be/kvQVdaorcH0?t=118 Just notice how N-O looks like he's almost always barrier blocking or jumping and the Ragna keeps getting his mixup denied on knockdown.

This is where extreme knowledge of the game comes into play because I would have never been able to differentiate that if nobody pointed it out lol.

I've been doing it offline or a while and it definitely works wonders.

Don't go trying it on netplay though. TIming is strict and a small sudden delay will really fuck it up.

You have to input the entire OS each time there is a high/low/grab mixup so you have to do it really fast. Basically its done every 2 or 3 moves in an opponent's blockstring, but you really only have to use it in specific parts. If you keep clocking out the OS over and over its easy to hit you with a simple well timed low when you input 4AB

Assume you are getting grabbed frame 1 on wakeup.

You have to be able to input 1AB, release it, then press 1ABC all in the time frame of throw rejecting.

the 1ABC>4AB>7AB>1AB is actually more along the lines of a 1ABC(release C here)~14741AB (Holding AB the entire time)

This will first block low, then you slide your analog up so that you chickenblock slower overheads, auto-block faster or gapless ones, and then go back to the low position in case they decide to go for a low>low instead.

The 14741AB will also let you jump out of tick throws so you avoid those too.

Also the OS won't work on makoto, rachel, valk, carl, relius, or bang(with bumper) as it is. You can modify it against bang, makoto, and relius but you may as well just straight up block.

also if you want to get fancy, return your stick to the "5" position before back to 1AB each time and you'll get an instant block too.

Shouldn't you have to release A+B before you jump? IIRC (not at a console now) doesn't holding barrier not allow you to jump. So 1A+B > 4A+B > 7A+B would not trigger a jump if you were holding A+B throughout the duration of the inputs. 

Shouldn't you have to release A+B before you jump? IIRC (not at a console now) doesn't holding barrier not allow you to jump. So 1A+B > 4A+B > 7A+B would not trigger a jump if you were holding A+B throughout the duration of the inputs. 

I believe its inputting the jump and then A+B in quick succession.

I dont recall having to release ab but at this point i just do the os without thinking about it. Ill double check it later.

I dont recall having to release ab but at this point i just do the os without thinking about it. Ill double check it later.

I mean, it is not necessary to hold inputs. It is correct doing it in a way or another. However, holding barrier supposes a big waste of barrier gauge and this is the main reason that is better to press successively instead of holding inputs.

Regards.

So would linking Lk's topic about P4U's OSes help explain this better, it does cover BB and GG to an extent as well.

So i've doublechecked and yeah you can't just hold barrier. You can still sorta cheat to make it easier though. You can sorta just slide your stick or analog thumbstick for the directions and tap the buttons as needed.

*This was done on XB360 pad using the analog thumbstick, I don't know if this is the easier way on stick or if its easier to do it the legit way and input each thing seperately.

The Exact Inputs are:

1AB(block initial attack)>(release AB)>1ABC4>(releaseABC)>7~4AB1

1AB Lasts until you are about to OS throw and overhead

Release AB right before the OS, wait a small moment, input 1ABC as just a small tap. the 1 direction should still be held here.

This next part is going to be done very quickly. Everything should be almost one input.

Slide analog/stick into 4 position.

Slide to 7, start holding AB

Slide it down to 4, then 1, basically a tilted quarter circle downwards, holding AB. 

If you do it right against the ragna options listed above:

2A>2B: 2A gets barriered, 2B gets regular blocked before you input ABC

2A>6B: 2A gets barriered, 6B gets regular blocked because of additional blockstun from barrier keeping you on the ground after 2A

2A>Throw: 2A gets barriered, throw gets rejected if you do it more slowly, or you just jump out of throw if you do it quickly.

2A>Gauntlet Hades: 2A gets barriered, You air barrier gauntlet hades first hit.

This long set made me realize it : https://youtu.be/kvQVdaorcH0?t=118 Just notice how N-O looks like he's almost always barrier blocking or jumping and the Ragna keeps getting his mixup denied on knockdown.

This doesn't make sense; The one place it seems like this SHOULDN'T work is on wakeup, because a properly timed meaty overhead will just hit you while you're doing all that 1AB stuff. It only works once you're actually getting into a blockstring, because it depends on the greater delay before an overhead comes out.

This doesn't make sense; The one place it seems like this SHOULDN'T work is on wakeup, because a properly timed meaty overhead will just hit you while you're doing all that 1AB stuff. It only works once you're actually getting into a blockstring, because it depends on the greater delay before an overhead comes out.

I worded that wrong, I meant "he easily escapes the mixup Ragna gains from a string after a knockdown", sorry for the confusion. If you watch the clip you should understand what I mean (if you need timestamps, check 2:23, 2:37, 2:51, 3:13...)

That said, it does have its uses on wakeup itself, due to the various wakeup delays and rolls you can do. Guessing a wakeup timing and just doing it does counter this, but it puts yourself at a bigger risk as well, as you generally aren't covering other wakeup options safely.

As a side note, it has uses in GG on wakeup against characters with command grabs, for more info : http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/page/index.html/_/home/gg-option-selects-fuzzy-jump-and-fuzzy-throw-r18

I just wanna point out TRM works to beat this. You input 1 > 7A+B+C > 1 with timings so that if the opponent were to grab you, your throw input will happen while you're in the state to tech throw, so you tech. If your opponent puts/keeps you in blockstun instead, you just get what looks like barrier tech and they can TRM you.

This totally works on wake up the exact same way it would work in a blockstring btw, the aggressor just has more options to deal with it really. You still have to react and block mix up and stuff, the OS is just an option that lets you cover a good set of bases to get out of not tight offense or deal with a grab game. You input it in gaps where you'd want to input barrier tech or something, you just add the 171 to cover other possibilities.

While I'm here, I might as well add the concept of "fuzzy OS" is a common thing across a lot of different fighting games. All you're really doing is putting another set of inputs behind presumed blockstun, where if the blockstun doesn't happen you get a different set of results. For example SF4 players actually use fuzzy jump with tech+HP/HK to deal with Rufus divekicking you into the next dimension. Momochi recently put out a video showing how to do fuzzy DP in SF4 as well (which is a thing I wanna say is possible in BBCP's engine but really not useable), and fuzzy backdash is a thing too. It's a concept worth getting used to and figuring out where it can be applied.