Psykotik

[CPEX] Carl Clover Combo Thread

BBCP_Header_Combo_Thread.png
Thanks to Kurushii for the header and layout

Information:
  • Due to the flexible nature of Carl's combos, this post is not a definitive list of combos and only contains sample combos. The second post will contain possible combo routes. Please keep in mind that this thread is a work in progress.

General Notations Used
Guide Specific Notations Used

j
Jump

sj
Super Jump

ad

Air Dash

iad

Instant Air Dash

JC

Jump Cancel

CH

Counter Hit

FC

Fatal Counter

RC

Rapid Cancel

ODC

Overdrive Cancel

] [

Hold Input

[ ]

Release Input

(N)

Attack must deal N amount of hits

[???] xN

Repeat ??? N amount of times

Allecan

j.214C immediately after j.2C hits/is blocked by opponent. This is different from [j.C, j.214C], where j.214C is actually performed

Enders

Carl can end his combos in a few ways depending on how much heat he has and the kind of oki he wants.

- 3C: Sets up oki
- 3C, Fermata: Non-OD super damage. Adds 900 minimum damage. 50 meter required.
- 3C, OD, 3C, 632146D: OD super ender. Add 1500 minimum damage. 50 meter and OD required. You can go straight into 3C, 632146D if you're already in OD.
- 8D into nothing: Sets up emergency tech. Unlike 3C, this gives you more time to set up oki and as such, more complete setups such as safe jumps are possible from this.
- Astral (64641236D): You can generally can combo into astral anytime you can combo into fermata.

The positioning required for a given combo will be indicated by an arrangement of letters:
C- Carl
N- Nirvana
O- Opponent
W- Wall/Corner

The ordering of the letters will indicate Nirvana's position in relation to Carl and his opponent.

Examples:
C-N-O: Carl-Nirvana-Opponent. This indicates that the combo's starting position is when Nirvana is between Carl and the opponent. 
N-C-O: Nirvana-Carl-Opponent. The starting position is Nirvana being behind Carl. 
C-O-N: Carl-Opponent-Nirvana. The opponent is between Carl and Nirvana

Recommended combos:

These combos are recommended due to their damage, resource efficiency and/or overall difficulty. These are by no means the only combos you're limited to but rather serve as solid go-to-combos for whatever situation that may arise. Note that anything off a jump-in j.A can generally lead to a 2A combo while jump-in j.B/C can go into a 5B starter combo.

Midscreen C-O-N
  • 2/5A, 5B, 6B, 623C, 6D/46D/421D, 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender

• 5/2B, (2/5B), 6B, 623C, 6D/421D, 5C, j.B, j.C, 46D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender
  • 5/2B, (2/5B), 5C, jump forward, 46D, airdash j.B j.C, 5B, 6B, 623C, 421D, 6A, j.C
  • 5/2B, (2/5B), 6B, 623C, 421D, CT, 5C, 46D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender

• 6C, 5A, 5B, 6B, 623C, 6D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender

• B+C, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, (8D)

• 6D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender
  • 2D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender

Midscreen N-C-O

• 5B, 6B, 623C, 6D, IAD j.2C, 6A, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C
  • 5B, 6B, 623C, 421D, dash under, 5B, sj.B, j.2C, j.B, JC, j.B. j.C, 8D, ender

Midscreen C-N-O

Corner

• 2A, 5B, 6B, 623C, 623D, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.214C, 8D, ender
  • 5B, 6B, 623C, 623D, 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.214C, 421D, 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.C, 8D, ender
  • 5C, 623C, 623D, CT, 5C, 46D, 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.C, 421D, land, j.2C, j.214C, 8D, ender (This combo is fairly difficult)

Solo Midscreen

• To be updated

Solo Corner

• To be updated

Mid-screen:

C-O-N
  • To be updated

N-C-O

• To be updated

C-N-O

• To be updated

Solo

• - (2A/5A), 5B, 2B, 6B, 623C
  • - (2A/5A), 5B, 2B, 6B, 623C, RC, 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C/j.214C *Requires 50 heat*
  • - 3C CH, 236A, j.2C~allecan, j.2C~allecan, sj.B, j.2C, j.B, dj.B, j.C
  • - B+C, j.2C, allecan, 5C, j.B, j.2C, j.B, JC, j.B, j.C
  • - B+C, j.2C, j.B, j.C, land, 5A, 5B, j.B, j.C
  • - j.B+C, 22D, 5C, 421D, j.2C allecan, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C

Corner:

C-O-N-W
  • To be updated

N-C-O-W

• To be updated

Solo

• (2A/5A), 5B, 6B, 2C, 5C, sj.B, JC, j.B, j.2C, j.C/j.214C
  • 2B, 5B, 6B, 2C, 2B, 6A, j.214C, AD j.B, allecan, 6A, j.C
  • 5B, 6B, 2C, 2B, 2A, jump forward, delay, j.B, j.C, land 5A, 6A, jump forward, delay j.B, j.C, 5A, 5B, 6A, j.214C

• B+C, j.2C, j.B, j.C, land 5A, 5B, 6A, sj.214C

Edited by Psykotik

Alright, so since it turns out that 3D has really short hitstun, 6C and CT won't combo after it. You can still loop the UB via other routes but the damage per rep (around 2.5k) is a bit too low atm to be worth the meter.

character specific (will specify later):

j.B+3D, 2AA, 5B, 2B, 6B, 46D, 6C, 2A, 5B (release 8D), 2B, 5C, jump forward, 8D hits, j.B, j.2C, j.AAB + 3D, etc (works on taller characters)

j.B+3D, 2AA, 5B, 2B, 6B, 46D, 6C, 2A, 5B, 2B, (release 8D), 6B, 6A, neutral jump, 8D hits, j.B, j.2C, j.AAB + 3D, etc (works on smaller characters and Ragna)

I tried to substitute 2AA with j.2C but it's really inconsistent. 3D hitstun way too short lol.

Edited by Psykotik

woo!

I'll see what I can cook up later today when I get home and download the 10gb worth of game...

OK, I'll probably only get to play tomorrow T__T

But by the sounds of it, based on the issues you're describing, there's not much else we could do here.

Wow, i'm having trouble connecting certain j.b>j.c's

I am not liking tightness this go around. Gonna be a hassle trying to find optimized combos now. I'll also update with some stuff I find

Aint connecting air combo are tight in general now?

Yes. I haven't really followed this game much for a while and I forgot about a majority of the changes that have happened

Will try to post things I find as well. Apparently Carl can get to 5k without Nirvana (according to challenge 20) even if the combo seems to be impractical (which it is, based on the routes I' going to squeeze damage) I'm curious as to what the combos will look like

I haven't beaten challenge 20 yet but I tried doing fully charged 6C, CT, j.2C allecan x 8, gear super. The most I've gotten out of that is 4.8k, still gotta figure out how to optimize it.

Edited by Psykotik

Carl have UB loop again without the need of meter...

Is hard, but is very probably that will work with all character.

Fellow Carl Players!!!!! This is my gift for you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7KYbVOepQ

Lets make Carl SSS class character again!!!!!!

Damn, even though that looks impossible for the average Carl player to do, you actually found a UB loop this go-round

Unbelievable and impressive at the same time :')

I realized lately that many jp carls are opting to not end combos with 8D > 3C and are just using the j.C ender. Was this a result of something getting nerfed? Do you guys recommend I should continue using 8D 3C? or is doll meter preservation dependent on matchup?

I realized lately that many jp carls are opting to not end combos with 8D > 3C and are just using the j.C ender. Was this a result of something getting nerfed? Do you guys recommend I should continue using 8D 3C? or is doll meter preservation dependent on matchup?

From my understanding, Japanese player never tend to end with 8]D[>3C. Is true that you deal a little bit more dmg, but you also waste more nirvana metter and you get no oki.

The reason why you should always try to end the combos with j.C or allegreto is for the knockdown. You will land first and you can go for any mixup after you land with Nirvana.

My take on Carl's  #20 mission (solutions were probably already found but I guess posting one might be useful) !

6C max charge > CT>{jump forward > j2C Allecan x 5}>j2C> j214C> delayed airdash>jB>j2C Allecan> 2C>5C> 632146C

So much j2C, so hard on the hands xD

^Ahaaa I was almost right

I thought it was allecan *10 like psyk with 2C>5C>cantata

Excellent job dude

G-guys, anyone got any combo route suggestions after doing the standard bbcp unblockable? (2A2B5B5C 46D airdash.A(n) j.2C j.AAB + 3D). I was planning to do the usual 5BB > cantabile > volante > CT > 5C j.BC > tenezza > 5H j.B j.2C j.B dj.B j.C > clap (though the part after tenezza needs a bit of changing because easier to tech now).

I only started using carl in BBCP on the ps3 and I only knew a few posts ago that there's an anima route that probably goes something like 5BB > anime >  623B CT. What usually comes after that? Damage-wise is this better than the one I usually do?

Also, I'm feeling the reduced comboability of anima. Is it classified now as a light starter?

G-guys, anyone got any combo route suggestions after doing the standard bbcp unblockable? (2A2B5B5C 46D airdash.A(n) j.2C j.AAB + 3D). I was planning to do the usual 5BB > cantabile > volante > CT > 5C j.BC > tenezza > 5H j.B j.2C j.B dj.B j.C > clap (though the part after tenezza needs a bit of changing because easier to tech now).

I only started using carl in BBCP on the ps3 and I only knew a few posts ago that there's an anima route that probably goes something like 5BB > anime >  623B CT. What usually comes after that? Damage-wise is this better than the one I usually do?

Also, I'm feeling the reduced comboability of anima. Is it classified now as a light starter?

I was messing around with this route:

j.B+ 3]D[ UB>|> 5B> 6B> 623C> 623]D[. sj.B> j.B - j.C> 421]D[> |> 5C> j.B-j.C >|> 421]D[> j2.C~Allecancel >j.B-j.C> |> 46]D[ > 66 6A>  sj.B> j.B - j.C> 8]D[. The last part is very tight, but if you do it quickly you can connect sj.B> j.B-j.C.

Sadly, this combo deal around 3.3K.... terrible if you consider the execution that requires. On 1.1, this would easily surpass 5K. If you add Fermata after the 8]D[, you will deal around of 4.4k. Ending it with OD oblivion isn't worth it, even with the OD overdrive will not pass the 5K.

If you want to deal damage after an UB, i recommend you using the j.B + 4]D[ UB.

A good one that deal more than 4k is this:

j.B + 4]D[ UB> CT> 5C> 421]D[> j2.C~Allecancel> 5C> 623]D[  sj.B> j.B - j.C> 8]D[. If you end it with Fermata, i think that you would deal 5K+.

Fellow Carl Players!!!!! This is my gift for you!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7KYbVOepQ

Lets make Carl SSS class character again!!!!!!

Two very important things that should be noted. One, this reset has a very heavy flaw that, if exploited, makes this loop un-loopable. The combo timer for 3D is significantly shorter than jb/jc. Therefore if the opponent simply stand blocks this will force the game to read the 3D as a starter. Which, as explained before hand, makes this loop non-viable. 

The second, which is unrelated to JG's UB, is that when performing the UB reset, using jc in place of JB now gives higher damage due to the better P1 value. I recommend learning the jc-4D reset, it nets a higher damage value just as JG pointed out above.

It seems the only reliable UB loop we have present would be the version involving RC cantabile. 

6C fully charged now works like a CT >_> it can be barriered..... #RIP6C

edit-

The hitstun decay also applies to Psykotik's UB loop.

Damn... it seem you are right. RIP Carl.

Also, with that in mind the j.B+3]D[ UB suck now.