Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monarch

[CPEX] Λ -11- Critique, Q&A, and Help Thread

BBCP_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Need help stepping your game up? Quick question about a certain move's property? This is the place to be! We're here to give supportive and constructive feedback regarding your gameplay, and answer any character related questions you may have.

Hi! I'm a new BB player, and I keep getting destroyed in the arcades here in Japan. Right now, I'm having a ridiculous amount of trouble with multiple things:
1) Playing neutral game with lambda (when to use her 5D, 6D, 4D as opposed to 236D and 214D or just aerials)
2) Using blockstrings to mix people up (I don't really feel like I know the right blockstrings. I usually use 5B->5C->6C->5D/4D, but I'm sure there are better ways to mix people up since they just end up reading my strings) 
3) Playing defense, especially in the corner. Since Lambda has no reversals, I'm not really sure when I should be barrier blocking or jumping or mashing and how to get out of pressure in the corner.

I don't have any videoes because i'm only playing in the arcades, but I might be able to upload some bad quality ones soon. I hope anyone can help! Thanks! 

While I'm still learning the character myself, I'll say what I know.

1) When it comes to using Neutral D's, I alternate between 5D and j.6D when my opponent is grounded. J.6D has impressive horizontal range from the air, which makes it a good tool. If they managed to get caught by it, you can go into a small j.D combo for some damage, then proceed to establish oki. When you use 214D, you're more than likely going to want to catch your opponent attempting to jump out of it with 2D or 6D. If they chose to remain still and block 214D, or if they blocked your 2D/6D, you can go into 5D > 236D to lock them down.

2) This is a blockstring I use as well, sometimes I'll do 5C > 6C > 4D > 5D to trip them up if they seem to be blocking the other blockstring you mentioned well enough. The thing about this blockstring is that you're free to go into 214D, 236D, 236A. You can use the moments after your last D to either attempt to lock them down with 214D/236D, or continue pressure with 236A. If you feel as if they'll mash after you teleport, then try to bait it with 22D. It's also important to integrate 6B into your mix-up, as well as TK j.214D. If you're familiar with TRM setups, those will no doubt help you too.

3) Blocking is something that varies by character, and a thing that will no doubt have to be learned. All I can really say is, try not to get pushed to corner, and don't forget about Counter Assault and our reversal DD.

I hope I was able to help in any way.

I'm week one with Lambda as well, but I think I have some ideas that may help.

1) One thing I'll say about using Lambda's drive is that you should always be mindful of throwing out a sword. If you whiff it, that's a lot of recovery you're going to have to sit through, and against a character with a fast run speed such as Terumi or Makoto, your turn may be over. It's also helpful to keep in mind that Lambda's drives have crazy gatlings now, so you can do things like Frost mentioned. A word of warning, though, that you don't want to autopilot something like 6D>5D and end up whiffing a sword.

2) You'll want to mix your strings up a lot, especially depending on what the opponent does. Try using 2B and 3C a bit more to stick some lows in, as well as 6B for an overhead. Be careful though, because 6B is unsafe on block iirc. Something else to experiment with is 236A. At different spacings, such as after just 2B 5B, it'll cross the opponent up and leave you at a distance, giving you time to shoot them with a drive or otherwise be safe. What you do otherwise depends on what the opponent likes to do when you pressure them. If they like to try to jump out of your pressure, for example, don't use 236D to reset pressure, since they'll get right out. A lot of Lambda's tools fall under "Use it, but don't use it too much or you'll get blown up."

3) Defense is something that has to be learned. You'll basically need to know what your opponent's pressure options are and find what to do about them. Lambda's only reversal costs meter, so it's really important for her to escape pressure in other ways. I wish I could help more there, but defense in CPEX is my weakest point.

I hope I helped. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try my best to incorporate some of the stuff you guys mentioned.

Some other stuff that I have some notes/problems on:

1) I'm not really sure how to read jumps. I'm always pretty afraid to throw out 6D because I feel like I would get punished if it whiffed (which isn't true if I'm far away) 

2) The string mentioned above can be reversal'd out of after the 5C (I've been hit with all sorts of shit like black hawk stinger, etc.), so I'm starting not to like it as much. I'm trying to use 2C or something instead to make my opponent go farther away or just going from 5C to a mixup. (it's really hard to think about though)

3) I'm also wondering how safe 236B/C is on block, and whether or not I can actually use it for pressure? 

4) I was also thinking of experimenting with 2C, since you can jump cancel 2C --> IAD j.b->j.c if they barrier guard it. (can be AA'd, ofc but it's a mix-up) 

5) With regards to oki, I'm also having trouble. A lot of lambda videoes show players just using 3C/2B/4D for oki, since 236D can be avoided if teched correctly. Any tips with regards to oki after a 236B or a j.214D?

6) Should I be more focused on playing a more long-ranged game until I get my opponent into a corner? I sometimes feel like I am trying to approach too much, and that I'm not walling out my opponents well enough. 

Sorry for all the questions!

I'm not the best with advice but I tend to use a combination of a close/long ranged game. You don't want to try and play the zoning game for too long, because Nu does that better than Lambda.

1) Something to keep in mind is that you don't have to challenge every single jump. If you have the read or they're doing a really obvious approach, then by all means tag them, but a lot of times, if they jump, the best answer is to not press anything and see what they do.

2) That's good that you're noticing things like that! Experiment with your pressure and see what works where. Build up as big a repertoire of strings and ideas as possible so you'll always have something new to go to.

3) 236B is safe-ish on block, I think. I don't think you get pressure afterwards, but you won't be punished for it at least (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). 236C is unsafe on block. I honestly wouldn't throw it out that much, because it has tremendous startup and is very punishable. You can always RC it to make it safe, but Lambda has better ways to spend meter.

4) I'm iffy on 2C in pressure, but I haven't really labbed it up myself. That doesn't sound very safe, but it could be a tool to keep in your head and use from time to time. If it works, it works, right?

5) Meaty 5D is good off of a 236B knockdown midscreen. 236D still has its uses for oki, but it doesn't seem quite as strong as it used to be. Meaty attacks work well too, as well as simply waiting to see what they do. After all, you have the advantage after a knockdown. I wouldn't use 4D for oki too much though, since they can just roll away from it. In the corner, you can get 236C 236D to get pizza wheel oki, and you can also get 214D oki off of various things.

6) I'd say to just keep playing Lambda until you find a playstyle that works for you. Thus far I've personally played her pretty aggressively - keeping a good enough distance to tag them with drives, and going in when they're respecting me - but you can playbjer however you like. Something I will say, though, is that Lambda has crazy corner carry off of just about everything with things such as 6B IAD combos and 236B RC 236C, so you don't need to worry too much about pushing them to the corner.

And there's no need to apologize for asking questions. We're all here to discuss, learn, and improve together. ^-^

4) I'm iffy on 2C in pressure, but I haven't really labbed it up myself. That doesn't sound very safe

2C is actually a good escape tool, since it's jump cancellable on block. One way to implement it is 2C > superjump IAD back j.6D

2C also gatlings into 6B, something to keep in mind. (tk.214D if you feeling nice)

You can bait mashing with 2A > 2C, and it leads to beafy combos on counter hit. CH 2C combos into 214D which should net you at least 3.6/3.7k midscreen, meterless.

overall, it's a really good tool to implement into your pressure game.

unless you are committing to really using every mixup in a blockstring, always end pressure in 2C and IAD away or over them.

214D is the best tool against non-zoners. Otherwise use drives because lv2 piercing drives.

5C>6B is mashable. Use more confusing mixups instead.

Wow, is 2C IAD really that good? I figured it would just result in me getting 6a'd in the face every time I tried it.

And if you're going to use 6B, use it earlier than 5C, like 2B 6B or something.

Do any of you have any examples of a "more confusing mixup"? Every time I try 6B it gets blocked and punished (probably because it's slow). I've been trying to go for TK.214D more often, but it's pretty difficult to pull off when not in the corner.

Well.. Lambda's mixup game is pretty weak outside of 22D shenanigans. Fishing for counter hit 22D's would be my suggestion, once they start respecting that, you can attempt basic pressure and TRM setups until you feel like they're going to disrespect again.

How safe is 22D, though? I know people can jump out of things like 236A~22D, and you can definitely be hit while in the air. I wouldn't say that should be your primary tool for opening people up, but CH 22D gives you *a lot* of momentum.

In my limited time with the game, I've done basically what I did last game, which is try to annoy them into making mistakes with as little risk to myself as possible. Obviously you're going to have to take a few risks, but I try to limit them and not do a ton of yolo things like random 236A~236C or something.

22D is safe when spaced right, as for people jumping out of 236A > 22D, that's not necessarily a bad thing so long as they don't hit you. Them jumping out gives you another chance at neutral, which is ideally where you want to be anyway. It shouldn't be used as a crutch, but it's definitely a tool that shouldn't be ignored.

I'm not saying it should be ignored, just that I don't think it should be the go-to thing. Not that I really have an answer for what is.

Hi! Some more questions:

1)Do you have any general tips for using TRM setups? I know how they work and the concept of them, but I'm never really sure when I should use them. If there is a guide for general BBCP offensive/defensive tactics that would be great as well.

2) Does Lambda have any other meaty attacks that could whiff and still beat a delayed tech in place? I keep whiffing 2B/3C on delayed techs and then I get CH'd on the enemy's wakeup. I was hoping to find something that could beat this option while still covering the neutral tech option. 

3) When in the full screen situation, should I be throwing out D moves or should I be waiting for my opponent to do something?

Thanks! You guys are really helpful! I've already seen improvements in my play today (won 2 matches instead of the usual 0 today!) :D

1) A general example of when to use a TRM would be something like this: 236D (opponent is blocking it) > 5D > 236A > 2A~B-C. This is a commonly used TRM because some opponents will think you'll instantly try to grab them after you teleport, and by doing the above you can catch them mashing throw tech. Of course, this isn't the only time you can TRM, it's all about predicting when your opponent will be most likely to suspect you of attempting to throw them.

2) The best option would probably be a meaty 2B, or delayed 214D to catch delay techs. Be wary of quick getups though, so be sure to adjust your strategy accordingly.

3) You shouldn't throw your D's out anywhere, but to where you think your opponent will go. If you've used 2D and 6D a lot to snuff your opponents attempt to get in on you by air dashing, then they may be inclined to attempt to dash in on the ground with the hopes of you pressing 6D or 2D. This works vice-versa as well. If you don't feel safe placing D's right away, throw down a gravity well to buy yourself some time to hit your mark. Or use 214D to urge the opponent to move the way you want them to. Learning how to use your D's is one of the hardest parts of playing Lambda/Nu, but also the most rewarding.

Hey, I'm having trouble with lambda's challenge 19. I can't seem to connect 6a after landing. Do you guys have any tips? Also does anyone happen to know the answer to challenge 20? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here it goes. 

What do you guys think about using a jump set-up after 214D in the corner/dash jump set-up mid-screen? Why don't people use it instead of going for a pretty weak ground high-low mix-up? I've been trying to incorporate it, but my mind tends to go blank during a lot of points in the game because I'm so nervous lol. Thoughts?

Can you elaborate more on this setup you're referring to? Not quite sure I understand.

Hello, I like to start playing Lambda because looks pretty fun. What should be my initial strategy when playing her? Do I zone,play defensively and punish or do rushdown, and use swords to keep my opponent in place? Sorry for asking such silly question, I just don't know how exactly I should play her.

Hi, im a new member, im trying to implement the empty jump-late airdash mixup into lambda's corner oki in this video...sorry for the bad quality... but there are some flaws(in the video description) so i would like to know the solution to these flaws

video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXGRf_qCOGM

video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6SczPyxBU

The flaw with video 1 is that it assumes the opponent will wake up and block the 236D. If the opponent chooses to delay tech or won't tech at all, there's nothing that can be done. The same applies for video 2, except the opponent could actually quick wakeup after the 236D and mash out. You can respond by using 2B to catch the quick wakeup attempt and combo accordingly.

Hi, can someone help me with Lambda's challenge 20? I can't find any videos on YT of it and the most damaging combo i've seen does 8K