Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Catastrophy

[CT] Iron Tager vs. v-13

Are the only strategies we're going to talk about are whiffs? This keeps Tager's out of the "how to play great Nus" and only against lesser-experienced Nus. We can't be looking only for whiff openings unless you guys want to break it to me that it's basically our only option. It's not terribly hard to avoid whiffing someone as ginormous as Tager.

Are the only strategies we're going to talk about are whiffs? This keeps Tager's out of the "how to play great Nus" and only against lesser-experienced Nus. We can't be looking only for whiff openings unless you guys want to break it to me that it's basically our only option. It's not terribly hard to avoid whiffing someone as ginormous as Tager.

well most Nu players are human, they will inadvertently make a mistake at some point during the match, hopefully (though they may not whiff something, it maybe poor distancing for a small period of time, backing themselves into a corner too quick etc). Not saying you should count on it, but it's always good to know the maximum amount of profit you can get off it.

The only problem with emphasizing that alone is that Nu controls the match more that way. If Tager can't make opportunities in this fight w/o Nu's help of making a mistake, then it's even a worse matchup than advertised. Nu: "I can do whatever I please until I make a mistake" Tager: "I can't do shit until she makes a mistake" If that about sums up the match, then I really hope Aksys has a real patch forthcoming after EVO.

Think of it like this then...your job as the Tager player is to make them make a mistake :eng101:

Getting them magnetized seems to cause them to make mistakes a lot more often than not though

If get Nu magged during the fight, my chances of winning skyrocket anyway, as against a good Nu I'm lucky if that happens just before I die. It's getting to that first step that makes or breaks me being able to play offensively at any moment.

What good is magnetizing Nu? She doesn't have to jump hardly ever outside of combos, and she can stuff pretty much all of your other magnetic moves with any of her C moves. So are you like... J.D and 360Aing her with the extra range or something?

What good is magnetizing Nu? She doesn't have to jump hardly ever outside of combos, and she can stuff pretty much all of your other magnetic moves with any of her C moves.

So are you like... J.D and 360Aing her with the extra range or something?

Hmm I find that a bit true. Even though I magnetize Nu, they always find a way to run away. Or otherwise Drive attack the hell outta you until the magnetize repels off. Nu's dash is so Hax :psyduck:

All I can pretty much say is just get close and never get her to leave your distance.

The hj.C - j.C - 2C works fine for me against Nu. Just do this when it's half screen. But if it's full screen away, use Sledge B to at least get half screen.

That's my trick though, there must be more better ways.

Most Nu players expect you to sledge through to get to them and will just backdash the second they see it or try to set up 6C. Magnetized though gives you 5D and 2D as viable options from my experience as to baiting the 6C. The Trick is to position yourself just outside of 6C range (as humanly close as possible) and then magnetism does the rest. If they start backdashing, well they have to backdash into a corner eventually. Just Tager's options are so limited in this fight, so limited that the Nu player can predict what your gonna do for 99% of the match. You have to bank on Nu making mistakes.

DBL POAST because I think this match is good for reference

mikeZ tager vs goryus v13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Dwd9n7-fU

notice mikeZ will sometimes go for a superjump C after landing 623C in order to keep close to v13 rather than going for the standard 6C followup. seems like a smart idea (and he even lands a sweet 720 cause of it)

notice not one slowing field in that match. things would have been much harder with it.

slowing field has long startup and is pretty dangerous imo. While it's extra devastating to Tager, I don't expect a non-damaging move to come out when she can use her damaging ones to zone.

The only problem with emphasizing that alone is that Nu controls the match more that way. If Tager can't make opportunities in this fight w/o Nu's help of making a mistake, then it's even a worse matchup than advertised.

Nu: "I can do whatever I please until I make a mistake"

Tager: "I can't do shit until she makes a mistake"

If that about sums up the match, then I really hope Aksys has a real patch forthcoming after EVO.

If you are talking about a patch that perhaps grants him an extra frame of guard/invincability or something I could agree. If you are talking about changing nu and tager so that they are constantly 5:5 then I would have to say no way. There are always going to be nasty/uneven matchups in fighting games, and this just happens to be one of them. Whatever, time will tell I suppose but I believe both the producers stated they would not be tweaking this game like they did the GG series. Guess we will see after EVO

useful gimmick: if you have nu magnetized, and you're about 3/4 screen away, you can actually 236236B on reaction to a sword and it will go far enough to hit nu. you'll autoguard the hits so she can dashcancel/RC it but i do not think any nu is going to be prepared for this on the spot.

Sledge Like there's like no tomorrow And 360B?(Even 360A does decent damage to nu i think cause of her mediocre health) sadly it's not that easy getting in her face she has to make one mistake just one and you gotta punish that mistake quickly and severely even one mistake could cost her half of her health

sledge like no tomorrow will get you killed vs a smart nu

This

A good Nu is gonna backdash as soon as you sledge, then punish with 5DD yada yada yada combo.

So at a distance it really only leaves Spark Bolt, assuming its even available and assuming the Nu isn't going to interrupt you while your getting ready to shoot.

I'd gladly take a Damage Nerf and lose the Super Armor for Tager if it meant Spark Bolt Charged in a way similar to the Silpheed Gauge for Rachel, cept it'd still be 1 single bar, just charged once every 5 seconds or so.

Or the Sledge move tanked it a hit ala Potemkin as well as crushing projectiles.

well that's why i said it's not that easy against good nu's You'll probably never win and want to use someone other then tager cause his match-up with nu is 100% in her favor thankfully i don't play against that many nu's online and even when i see one come up in a ranked match i just back out before i even go to the char select screen(it's not fun seeing yourself beaten down like your a beginner who barely knows anything other then simple basics)

well that's why i said it's not that easy

against good nu's You'll probably never win and want to use someone other then tager cause his match-up with nu is 100% in her favor

thankfully i don't play against that many nu's online and even when i see one come up in a ranked match i just back out before i even go to the char select screen(it's not fun seeing yourself beaten down like your a beginner who barely knows anything other then simple basics)

Cept its like this with alot of characters against Tager. Any idiot that knows the basics of a rushdown can keep Tager at bay. Hell even a simple button masher even has a better chance against Tager simply cause most normal attacks will beat Tagers normal attacks. Worst offender is probably Tao.

But as far as Nu goes, most Nus i've fought have a bad habit of trying to use blades even when your next sledge is guaranteed to block the blade and hit Nu for a CH.

The only good Nu i've seen would back dash after every sledge i did, so I'd end up farther away than when i started and when in the corner, that retarded super dash she has just allows her to run right past me and start the process all over again.

Its like were the ant and whoever is the Nu, is the kid with the magnify glass.

well that's why i said it's not that easy

against good nu's You'll probably never win and want to use someone other then tager cause his match-up with nu is 100% in her favor

thankfully i don't play against that many nu's online and even when i see one come up in a ranked match i just back out before i even go to the char select screen(it's not fun seeing yourself beaten down like your a beginner who barely knows anything other then simple basics)

I don't like it when people do that. I've never backed out of a ranked match.

You'll have to work a lot harder every time because Nu's place in the match up is pretty stress free, but you shouldn't be getting beat That bad, unless there is a skill gap.

Also if you were to back out of every bad match up you're backing out of almost Every match up with Tager.

I find that the thing that helps me most with this match up was improving the quality of damage I get out of every random/successful hit. Learning more effective combos and getting the hang of baiting/beating the burst. For me there are a lot of close matches so the better I am at following things up for max damage the more matches I win.

you can't just do 6A 2C :?:

only works on CH

you can do 2B 2C after sledge but it has to be close, generally you wont be close enough for it to land.