Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

First post in like a month on this thread, lol. Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback on 2 matches. I know I need to work on my pressure & combos, but I'd like a second (or more) opinion.

Ok as you said your pressure and combos need work so I won't really go over that, just a couple of points

Don't use ID randomly useless you know 100% your going to get away with it e.g. punishing

Not a biggie but you tend to overjump a bit, as I said its not a big thing its just against characters with better anti airs you will get punished

As -Kid said a few posts ago try using 22A~C

Blockstrings, while Ragna's mix up isn't brillant you still gotta make due with what you got, throw some lows in there, not just 5B

Thanks. To be honest, I didn't really know how to approach this guy, the Tsubakis I've played never really did it like this.

Let's start with the first match. I'll try to talk about neutral and defence since you already know about your mix-up problems (and also because neutral is one of the hardest facets of the game to understand).

You're being too cautious while in the air. I notice that you did a lot of jump barrier and j.A and air throw. Now, being cautious in the air vs Tsubaki is actually very sound due to her strong 2C, but you can afford to bully her more. There's actually no need to do things like jump back j.A because those are strong air-to-air options that you use at the right spacings against other characters with good air normals. j.C already bodies all of her air normals unless you're very close to her so you can abuse that more.

At 1:01 you space your ID wrong but I'm sure you are already aware of that. I just want you to know it's not a bad idea to do run up ID RC in that situation where it would have gotten you the kill or pressure to get the kill, so you didn't make a bad choice. You just made a spacing error.

I would have IDed somewhere in the closing stages of round 1 since you had meter.

At the start of round 2 you backdash which I think is a defensive reflex from losing round 1. Personally I think you'd just want to keep going in against Tsubaki when you can so avoid such maneuvers if possible. Perhaps you had a specific read for that move although I can't think of anything (surely not predicting DP??).

Notice that at 2:15 or so you cross her up and she whiffs and is stuck in 2C's crouching recovery. If you had done j.C instead of j.B you would have nailed her for 4k+. That's another way to bully her out of anti-airing confidently, which can help your approach.

I don't know why you get hit randomly during her strings, I am assuming you either tried jumping out or mashing ID and failed. Jumping out is generally not a good idea because her strings involve a lot of small gaps that beat jumping out easily. If you mashed ID then you fucked up during the CH. As for the non CH hits like 2A (blocked) 5B (hit), it's cause you were mashing during air tight parts of her string. Study the frame data! 2A is not a good part of her string to mash ID in.

You get anti-aired too often after teching in the air cause you didn't block. That's just a habit that you'll have to play more to acquire.

The last hit that led to your death wasn't really your fault, Grendy was the one that fucked up if anything. But of course, tech the stagger!

At the start of the second match you can actually just ID when she was doing j.D. This is something that I don't remember to do myself cause I'm lacking in match-up experience vs Tsubaki but it helps! When you got cornered you died because of weak defence but that comes with experience. In the meantime, tell yourself to just be patient and block! Also you were too defensive in neutral which is what allowed her to corner you in the first place. You don't need to charge at her with all you've got, just approach her passively yet aggressively. Stick out 5B, you'll win.

You baited the DP too often after you got nailed by it once. This kind of mind game depends more on the player and your reads though, so there's not much to say there.

At the end you got too cautious again, imo. You can afford to do what you want against Tsubaki, you're Ragna!

Basically what Fluck said, but i have a few stuff to add. Wanna make it concise though:-

- You are letting the Tsubaki get away with too much. She's using blockstrings on you, which is a free punish if you Instant block then use C Inferno divider. You can dash 5A punish after she uses 6BB on block. Tsubaki shouldn't be using full block strings on you.

-Block lows, react to highs. Don't guess block. if you see an overhead coming, block it. Tsubaki's overhead is slow, so if you see it coming, with enough practice, you'll be able to block it. You got hit by too many 2Bs due to you guessing.

-Don't be afraid to approach tsubaki, rush her down if need be. Being a ragna player, you dominate her. Don't allow her to build stock freely. It seemed like tsubaki was approaching you when she was ready. you approach her.

-Stop starting pressure with 5B, it limits your options. Start with something like 5A or 2B. Preferably 2A.

-Stop using DS after 5C so much:

1. it's easy to react to by jumping over it.

2. if you do it too much, you'll get reversal'd easily. (Not in this match up from that distance, but in other match ups like against valk you will)

If you wanna use DS to reset pressure, try using it from unpredictable blockstring options like 2A > 2B > DS. That way, you stay close to your opponent, and you can go for a dash 5A/2A after DS to catch them mashing buttons, so you can get a counter hit. Even though DS is easy to react to by jumping over it, it's less predictable from 2B, as a pose to everyone expecting it from 5C, so the opponent may not even jump in time.

What are ragna's openings in his block strings? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Y5_pDr4yg sorry about quality

1) This is a thread for Ragna players to ask about how to improve their Ragna play. Questions like that should go in the Hakumen section of the forums in the vs. Ragna matchup thread.

2) You're not blocking, so it doesn't really matter if you know where the holes are anyway. But if you must know:

2A>2C

2A(IB)>2B

2B(IB)>2C

2B>5C

2C>anything that's not 5C

5C (IB)>2D

Anything > Dead Spike

Dead Spike > anything

That's all I can think of on the top of my head. There are a lot of them.

Don't mash D.

2A to 2B and 2B to 2C/5C are gapless on immediate gatling, but if you IB a gap will appear. 2C to 3C is safe if 3C doesn't whiff. 2A to 5C has a gap.

2B has 13 frames of blockstun, 5C has 13 frames of start-up. Since 22C used to be +5 and was a 1-frame link, I'm assuming an immediate gatling is airtight, but you may be right.

I know this the Ragna thread but there wasn't anyone in the Hakumen critque thread that could answer my question. That's why I came here. My fault and thanks for the information

5C (IB)>2D

this should be anything > 2D. 5C (IB) is probably the most common when ending with 2D.

i'll add some more:

6D > j.D whiff > anything

6C(1) (IB) > 6C(2)

5B > not 2B, 5C, 2C, 3C, or 6A

anything > GH

anything > 6B

that should be about it.

Dunno if this will get moved to the BK section but can I get some advice?

what would be the best way to start a BK combo? I ask because online I've tried using 2C. 5C, 6C, dash, 6B, BK, 5C and when I go for the 5D follow up I 90% of the time I drop it and my opponent gets a free pass out of the corner lol

so in another match I tried activating it during a 5D for example: 6C, Dash, 6B, 5C, 5D(1), DS, 5C, 5D(1), BK and drop it after trying to land the 5B follow up

Am I doing it wrong or is it just online screwing me over? I ask because both combos work legitly as I've found in training mode

just wanted to be sure lol :3

that combo should work. you're probably not doing the whole 5D(1) > 214214D > 5B > 5D(1) stuff fast enough.

i also want to point out something. if a combo works in training mode, then it's going to work online. if you mess up online, then you're doing the combo wrong.

as far as starters go, it's much less the starter that matters and more of the circumstances that apply. if you hit a grounded opponent, you'll generally want him to be crouching and in the corner. also, just about any anti-air combo will be good for BK.

that combo should work. you're probably not doing the whole 5D(1) > 214214D > 5B > 5D(1) stuff fast enough.

i also want to point out something. if a combo works in training mode, then it's going to work online. if you mess up online, then you're doing the combo wrong.

as far as starters go, it's much less the starter that matters and more of the circumstances that apply. if you hit a grounded opponent, you'll generally want him to be crouching and in the corner. also, just about any anti-air combo will be good for BK.

yes I know its just sometimes lag is a factor to take into account >.>

Hmm..so like a CH 6A would do fine for example?

I usually use BK off corner throws more often to be honest, they usually work out well for me pushing out at least 4.5k a time with a 22c finish :3

It felt to me like you died quite a lot because of execution errors :P There were a few occasions where you'd successfully jump-in and then do nothing for awhile and get hit. Also I felt that you used j.A too often at the wrong spacings. It's strong but it's still possible to punish your whiffs and at the very least you give up momentum by whiffing all those j.As. Lastly, I think that you could have used 5B more in a few situations, for example Bang 5B traded with your 5B and you didn't do anything, 5B would have beat his next poke.

-You never really DP in pressure, just on wakeup. Because of this, you let opponents go to town on you.

-You really need to punish long whiffs more. Bang would whiff a D move right in front of you and you would just stand there.

-You need to work on your spacing a bit.

about DP in pressure I usualy use it after an IB because beside mirror match I dont know where the holes are in the opponent blockstrings(except bang 5A 2A yes lol)I did it once against carl and I got baited, lol!

About punishing bang D moves:I am realy scared,sometimes I try to punish those drives and I find myself hitting the move while it's still active or absorbing,same goes for moves like yukikaze.Bang's D have about half a second of recovery but I cant understand when the move is in recovery state,when I wont getting "absorbed" or getting hit while the move is still active, example @3.25 I was waiting for the recovery frames and I was pretty sure my 5B would hit bang in his recovery but he ended up blocking.

Bang drives

This is more of a match-up thread thing but Bang's drives can all be punished without requiring much timing, due to how they work:

- 6D only has guard point at the start (1-14F out of 24F startup), so if you see him whiff it, just hit him. The autoguard frames should have worn off. This applies to j.D too.

- 2D is always weak to lows.

- 5D is weak to lows AND only guards 3-11F out of like 19F startup.

Just throw lows against Bang's drives unless you think he's gonna go for 6D or j.D.

Pressure is linear and easily predictable, you always do the same things.

Don't really use meter, try using CA and DP>RC