Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

Sometimes it may just be that they really are too far away for the 6A. If that's the case you can always 5B > 623D etc instead.

But I tried in Training, literally humping the other character when I start it. I guess I need to see a video.

First of all, what character are you doing it on? On Ragna a close hit of 5B > 5C > 5D (DC) > 6A will work, he is not too far for the 6A. You should try it from just 5D first to make sure you know the timing. Easiest way to do it is: 5D, dash as soon as 2nd hit hits, press and hold 6A right when the dash is ending. If 6A doesn't come out, you pressed it too early. This isn't the best combo from a close hit of 5B, but you should get the timing down anyway for whenever you hit a 5D and want to air combo from it.

But I tried in Training, literally humping the other character when I start it. I guess I need to see a video.

Your timing for the 6A must be too late then if you're buffering the dash cancel early. You want to hit the 6A immediately after the dash cancel. It should look like the animation is altogether as one. Instead of a dash animation to a 6A animation, it should look like a dashing 6A attack. The timing is a bit tricky because you can't buffer an attack during the dash cancel so you have to know the exact moment to hit the 6A. Just mess around with it because it really is a timing thing.

Also, 5B>5C>5D>dc>6A won't connect consistently on a few characters (for some strange reason I can never get it to connect on Haku, despite his large hitbox). In these cases I find leaving out 5C will make the combo work.

First of all, what character are you doing it on? On Ragna a close hit of 5B > 5C > 5D (DC) > 6A will work, he is not too far for the 6A.

You should try it from just 5D first to make sure you know the timing. Easiest way to do it is:

5D, dash as soon as 2nd hit hits, press and hold 6A right when the dash is ending.

If 6A doesn't come out, you pressed it too early.

Yeah I can do the only 5D - 5D - DC - 6A just fine.

I'm having a hard time with consistency on 6A>JC>C>D>JC>C>D>ID. I can't seem to figure out the timing on the ID at the end of the combo. At first I thought it was maybe sloppy inputs on my part so I practiced doing ID, and have determined that is not the case.

5B,5C,5D (2 hits), dash cancel, 6A, Jump Cancel, j5C, j5D, double jump cancel, j5C, j5D, 623d, 236c, 214c

I cannot get the second j5D to connect, the training dummy always recovers. I have tried both Jump Canceling and High Jump Canceling, but the same thing happens. I'm practicing against Jin, dunno if that would make the difference or not.

I cannot get the second j5D to connect, the training dummy always recovers. I have tried both Jump Canceling and High Jump Canceling, but the same thing happens. I'm practicing against Jin, dunno if that would make the difference or not.

iirc you can only do jc jd then jd again in that combo

I use 5B 2B 5C 2C 2D the 2D usually doesn't combo. Sometimes it does but i don't want it to because i follow it up with 5C. If it combos and I finish it with an air combo into I.D. it does substantially less damage than if it were to not combo. They can't roll out of the 5C either. Why would 2D combo at the end? Is it because they are crouching or is it from starting the combo with a counter?

Is it because they are crouching or is it from starting the combo with a counter?

This, 2D will only combo from 5C if the opponent is crouched or if the 5C itself is CH.

Lately, it just seems like i've reached my limit. Like my Ragna cannot improve any more than being "Pretty good". I feel like if I could improve my mixup game some what that I could smash right through this wall, but I just can't for the life of me seem to improve anymore. That, and I really tend to crack whenever i'm getting pressured by Jin/Bang/Taokaka. I'm not one of those people who can IB every attack that comes there way for instance. Is this something anyone else has experienced? If anyone wants to see a video of how I play, if you're on XBL my gamertag is the same as my Dustloop name, Prototype909. So you could just find me on the leaderboards or something and see if I have any replays available or whatever. I'll try to put one up tonight if I can. Last I checked I was in the top 50 for the Ragna boards. Online play, lol. Other than that...yeah, let's just call this the "Improvement" thread.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. Basically you're burned out on Blazblue, and Ragna. Either try a new character or get a new game to play for a few days. That'll take your mind off Blazblue and you'll come back relaxed and open to combos and stuff. At least that's how I did it. And yes, lol online play.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago. Basically you're burned out on Blazblue, and Ragna. Either try a new character or get a new game to play for a few days. That'll take your mind off Blazblue and you'll come back relaxed and open to combos and stuff. At least that's how I did it.

And yes, lol online play.

I've tried taking a break, it doesn't help me in the slightest. All it seems to do is make me rusty and feel unfamiliar with the game.

I think my inability to improve might just have to do with the frustrations I experience while playing the game.

I feel like when they were designing the game and handing out the character gimmicks, that Ragna just got the short end of the stick. He just feels a lot weaker than a majority of the cast when you aren't playing complete idiots.

(THIS NEXT PART IS COMPLETELY MY OPINION/RANT AND FEEL FREE TO TEAR IT APART)

I mean, it just seems like Ragna doesn't have as much going for him as some of the other cast members. His gimmick, (Life Drain), sucks. Not in theory, but in execution. Last I checked it was what, 1/10th of the attack damage?

In my honest opinion, he deserves either a bit more life drain, or a bit more health. Because compared to some of the other gimmicks, Soul Eater is trash without Blood Kain.

Here are some Pros and Cons that I thought up in about 5 minutes. Think of them what you will.

Pros (+) -

Easy to pick up (Not that helpful at this stage of the game's lifespan)

Pretty good damage

Attacks flow together naturally and effectively

Makes good use of meter

Guaranteed reversal

6A is Godly Anti-Air

Good pressure game

Cons (-)

Poor mixup options effectively ruin his pressure in some cases

VERY predictable

Low health

Isn't particularly strong in any area statistic wise

Life drain sucks without Blood Kain

I don't know. Think of that stuff what you will. I think i'm just bitter and frustrated right now.

I find watching the combo vids are really helpful. Don't destroy yourself over it though. I like to play a bit and get in a few wins then call it a night. I don't want to press my luck. Try playing score attack a bit to polish your game. Training mode works too but i think they are harder on score attack. Its a good idea to train with different characters to learn they're attacks. But don't overdo it, if you lose a lot for a night just do something else. Try mini ninjas!

I find watching the combo vids are really helpful. Don't destroy yourself over it though. I like to play a bit and get in a few wins then call it a night. I don't want to press my luck. Try playing score attack a bit to polish your game. Training mode works too but i think they are harder on score attack. Its a good idea to train with different characters to learn they're attacks. But don't overdo it, if you lose a lot for a night just do something else. Try mini ninjas!

Yeah, i've pretty much done everything in the Pro-DVD and before the game came out all I did was watch kaqn and other Ragnas play.

Maybe I should start watching some more pro player videos again. It's been awhile since I saw what new Ragna tricks and combos have been developed since before release.

Are you ending combos with 22C when possible? That's where the bulk of you're mix ups should come from. Another time I like doing mix ups is after HF RC (first hit, blocked). And by mix ups I mean stuff like, 2B > 6B, tick throws, 6D stuff, etc. Also when/what do you use your meter for mostly? Videos would help.

Are you ending combos with 22C when possible? That's where the bulk of you're mix ups should come from. Another time I like doing mix ups is after HF RC (first hit, blocked). And by mix ups I mean stuff like, 2B > 6B, tick throws, 6D stuff, etc. Also when/what do you use your meter for mostly?

Videos would help.

Stuff like 5B (Blocked) -> 2B -> 6B -> 5C -> 6C -> 214B~214D -> 5B -> 6A -> Air Combo

Dash in 2B -> 3C -> 22C -> 5B -> ID (D) -> Fastest 236C -> Delayed 236C -> 22C -> 5B

Also, when is it practical to throw in 6D as a mix up? And how do you capitalize with it if both hits are blocked? Is it more practical to try and JC and go for a j.B or j.C or just to try and poke low with a 2B or 3C? Or should I just continue pressure and dash in 5B (Seems a bit risky to me though).

I use most of my meter either on Blood Kain combos (When I can actually get them into a corner position where Blood Kain is useful), HF RC combos and (Not very often) Carnage Scissors.

But most of my meter goes into RC combos, or just RCing to continue pressure/back off after a blocked attack.

Maybe it would help if I could just play some people here and you can tell me how to improve. That seems like it would work better than just discussing.

You know I understand how you feel about hitting a wall, I've hit a wall myself a while ago and got myself over it after playing my friend's cheap spammy rachel over and over, I finally figured out how to overcome that wall. Maybe if you could post videos of your Ragna we could help you a bit more. And sometimes I find watching videos of pros not too helpful. Its better to find your own style of play and figure out things for yourself than trying to imitate others IMO. There are even times when I play worse after watching a video because I would constantly try to do things I'm not used to.

Also, when is it practical to throw in 6D as a mix up? And how do you capitalize with it if both hits are blocked? Is it more practical to try and JC and go for a j.B or j.C or just to try and poke low with a 2B or 3C? Or should I just continue pressure and dash in 5B (Seems a bit risky to me though).

I use most of my meter either on Blood Kain combos (When I can actually get them into a corner position where Blood Kain is useful), HF RC combos and (Not very often) Carnage Scissors.

HF RC (first hit, blocked) > 6D is one way to make them have to block 6D. After 6D > j.D, most people tend to block low cause that's all the air hits you can do unless you jump cancel the j.D, which is easy to see then they just block high again. You can use that to your advantage and do 6D > j.D > (they block low) air GH > combo, it's 2 things they have to block high in quick succession. Don't get too happy with it though, cause it's not completely safe if they block it.

If you just want to continue pressure, if you time it right they shouldn't be able to hit you out/escape if you do 5B after the 6D > j.D.

I would recommend Inferno Divider© RC over Carnage Scissor in almost any situation. It's safe, and on CH gets you a combo. Won't hurt them as much but it's a much safer choice. It can be used as an offensive tool as well.

but yeah go ahead and add me on XBL/PSN and maybe we can play sometime.

Try using combos you don't normally use, like ID>Upper>Straight...land...5B>5D>Carnage Scissors..sure it isn't optimal damage, but it's scary to use. Airdash jD>5D combos are nasty-looking too. And having Ragna do j.D after Inferno Divider on the way down can sometimes punish people who quickroll. Just gotta act more beastly with him. :)

Pro tip: don't listen to Blade. In any case, what it really is going to come down to is getting more experience and improve your basics such as blocking/guarding correctly, IBing, knowing when to Barrier Guard, knowing when to attack, and reading your opponent, and adapting to your opponent. That's all there really is to do once you've reached that certain area. There's only so much potential a character can have, and once you've reached it, it's up to you, the player, to improve your playing skills.