Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

I switched/switching to jin B-) And damn, yeah don't listen to blade, those are terrible ideas that don't work. Cept the J.d part after ID, you're better off using J.b while falling down, but it's still a unreliable gimmick. Try to be dumb as possible as ragna, like I seriously have a txt file with really dumb stuff that nobody would expect. Take for instance, do a TK GH, if they blocked it, rapid and GH that shit again. Once they get scared of your dumb stuff, start mixing it up, rapid and land on the floor and hit him with a 2b. Make them scared. Oh yeah, most of these dumb gimmicks I thought I made up myself, but Kaqn mostly has most of them down already.

Also, when is it practical to throw in 6D as a mix up? And how do you capitalize with it if both hits are blocked? Is it more practical to try and JC and go for a j.B or j.C or just to try and poke low with a 2B or 3C? Or should I just continue pressure and dash in 5B (Seems a bit risky to me though).

I usually start a mix up with 6D j.D > 5B 5C 214A 214D. It works pretty well but if they block i always continue with the combo and use a throw after hells fang. Or instead of hells fang you can go with 2D and follow up with an anti-air.

I usually start a mix up with 6D j.D > 5B 5C 214A 214D. It works pretty well but if they block i always continue with the combo and use a throw after hells fang. Or instead of hells fang you can go with 2D and follow up with an anti-air.

Both options are terrible because HF is really unsafe on block and if they IB your screwed. If you do 2D at an unsafe distance depending on charcter they can punish you.

Your better off using

6D>JD>dash>6B>(If blocked)3C> Jump cancel etc etc

Or something of sorts.

The problem with Ragna is that his block strings really suck. You HAVE to be creative in your block strings. Mix it up by jump canceling with 6A/3C, go for surprise overheads with TK GH and delay your strings to catch them off guard.

Almost everything Ragna does is really punishable so its really up to you to mix it up with something different almost every time so they don't IB and punish.

If you wanna get past that ''wall'' learn your basics better (Such as Sprit fag suggested), increase your mixup arsenal and play more solid. Learn to balance your risk/reward factor. Sometimes its better to play safe and sometimes its better to put a little risk in. All this depends on your oppoenent as well. If you see that he has a slight pattern or maybe likes to mash at certain times adapt to that and use that to your advantage.

You're telling people to do combos that are "scary to use", but as "scary" as they may be, they're not good combos. You don't go into a thread where someone is asking how to improve and tell them to use "scary but not good" combos. :\

Airdash jD>5D combos are nasty-looking too.

This doesn't even combo, how the hell are you even getting this to hit :psyduck:

Airdash jD>5D hits when they try to jump, I guess I didn't mention that. As for what I said, he said he was uninspired or bored with Ragna, I was only trying to make Ragna more interesting, even if a bit more risky. I'm going to say it now: I never want to play an efficient Ragna...I don't like doing "the most damaging combos" just because they work or just because they do the most damage, or because everyone else who does them can testify to their effectiveness. I play cagey, with mind games. I play scary, or as some other players say "Shitty Sol". Or in this case "Shitty Ragna".

untill you can do it pretty much perfectly every time. Then try:

5B,5C,5D (2 hits), dash cancel, 6A, Jump Cancel, j5C, j5D, double jump cancel, j5C, j5D, 623d, 236c, 214c

I've been having extreme difficulties with the timing on this part. I just can't seem to get it fast enough. I'm not sure if it's my personal skill or I'm just missing it. Said characters are ALWAYS out of my reach. Even with Tager. The pushback from the 5D (2 hits) just seems too great to overcome with a shorter then normal dash.

=[

I've even done the 5D (2 hits), DC, 6A without any problems. It's so odd.

I just have too much push back.

I think it was just Arakune. (which is who I reallllllllly want to get it off against.) I pulled it off on Jin no problems. X_X I wonder if it's just me? Also: My fellow newbies. Don't forget to turn on the recoveries for the CPU. That can give you the most accurate feedback while you're training for combos. =P

I play scary, or as some other players say "Shitty Sol". Or in this case "Shitty Ragna".

There are far more direct ways to say "I'm not Kaqn" or "I'm not Jiyuna" or "I can't actually play Ragna."

No one in here is anywhere close to Ragna's "glass ceiling".

Close thread.

Did you even read the post? I'm talking about myself not being able to improve my Ragna due to self limitation and how I can improve myself.

He still has a point.

Regardless, it wasn't the subject on hand. I'm not trying to say "Oh, i'm so good with Ragna that his character flaws are holding me back". Or that it's the case for anyone else.

I'm tryin to say "I don't play good enough to overcome Ragna's character flaws. How can I improve to make this not the case?"

Regardless, it wasn't the subject on hand. I'm not trying to say "Oh, i'm so good with Ragna that his character flaws are holding me back". Or that it's the case for anyone else.

I'm tryin to say "I don't play good enough to overcome Ragna's character flaws. How can I improve to make this not the case?"

What are the problems your are having with Ragna? I would think each character has a glass ceiling. All characters are going to have flaws you just need to know how to not exploit them.

I guess watching videos of err..um "professionals" play against other people might help. You can see their crazy mix-up strategies and which combos of preferred. You also get an idea on which characters to play defense or offense.

Haven't read the whole thread but: 1. (Most important) Practice in spite of hell. 2. Ignore your inner critic (you'll never be high level, you'll never get that combo...etc. You know, that guy) 3. Play player matches until you are confident enough to go int ranked matches. 4. Never give up! 5. Good Luck!

Haven't read the whole thread but:

1. (Most important) Practice in spite of hell.

2. Ignore your inner critic (you'll never be high level, you'll never get that combo...etc. You know, that guy)

3. Play player matches until you are confident enough to go int ranked matches.

4. Never give up!

5. Good Luck!

I agree with everything you've said except #3. IMO until a system is implemented wherein rank is actually reflective of skill (i.e. there's some punishment for losing) then I would switch it around because it's a lot easier to grind through dozens of ranked matches in relatively short order whereas if you're in a 6 person room you're going to be playing fewer matches in the same amount of time. It's all about repetitions. About the only exception I would make would be if you had a room of people you knew with exemplary connection speeds such that voice chat wouldn't lag the matches and thus constructive criticism could be offered after each match.